Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Were to mount External Oil Cooler
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Were to mount External Oil Cooler Reply with quote

I am planning my next project and need some help. I have a 1964 Type I with a 1600cc SP stock engine in it but I need a little more cooling in the summer due to highway speeds and 100+ temps. I have a all the tin on it and aeverything works fine but it is a convertable and has deck lid venting and I think that is my nemisis right now. The engine keeps getting too hot and I have to slow down. I am researching external oil coolers due to mine having a internal oil cooler. I do not have a dog house cooler. Has anyone mounted the actual system in their a bug and were did you put the actual cooling fins?

One thought was under the back hump above the tranny but not alot of air gets there.??? Any other ideas.

While at it I will prpbably add a oil filter also.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1971 Convertible runs 1835cc DP engine in Arizona. I didn't have a doghouse shroud/cooler, so I use engine lid standoffs and an external oil cooler located on the hidden side of the fan shroud, used this system 38 yearsnow in heat worse than Kansas.

Several on this board say that kind of cooler is a death sentence even with 1600cc, but my experience is otherwise.

There's also the tennis ball trick for highway driving to keep the bottom of the engine lid open.

Yes, convertibles have less venting than sedans.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try and find the issue as to why you are running hot, I dont know to many people who run external oil coolers on stock motors.The only time I have ever needed an external oil cooler is when I run a 2ltr with higher compression. I mount them on the bottom of the package tray hanging about 2-2 1/2 inches down. I use the fan assisted coolers.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always thought that stock was best but recently driving 30-60 minutes at 60-70 MPH with a freeway flyer tranny it has been getting too hot and the Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick light starts to comes on until I slow to 50-55. It has only been when high humidity and high temps area in abundance but it has happened. I have stand-off plates but hesitate to use them due to the verts top covering it when down. I must admit I did know about the tennis ball trick but did not use it. I will use it immediately until I get more cooling.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like ConcreteAce said, I mounted my external oil cooler under the parcel tray and used a fan mounted cooler. I run a 2007 cc in my 61 bug and in Houston summer weather, my car runs at 175 degrees all day Smile . You can find plenty of external oil cooler on this site for cheap. I have a hi-performance cooler sitting on my shelf if you are interested. I can get make and model of it if you'd like.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get one I think but I am in the planning phase right now. When I drop my engine this winter to get he leaks fixed I will do it. If you could get the make and model you use that would help. I found alot of them on line but they all seem the same except for how many lines they have or if they are fan asisted. I assume more is better for cooling.

Now that we are talking about fan assisted do they need a dedicated cuicuit? Do they come with a temperature gage that will turn the fan on and off or do they run all the time? Are they loud if under the package tray? Think

Thanks for the help.

Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing-axle right?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1197135&highlight=free+air#1197135

Oh, and if you want a good cooler get a setrab.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, Swing axle

Any other ideas. That was a good link.

doc hopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Oil Cooler Location Reply with quote

Dog House Cooler and fan
Propped Deck Lid (even with the slots)
Directional vanes in fan housing

VERY important: include the Hoover Bit on the bottom of your doghouse oil cooler.
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly right Max, i have a Setrab oil cooler. they are made for race cars and proven. Before i got the Setrab, i have already purchased an Empi cooler. Hadn't had any problems. It did came with the fan and temp gauge so it kicks on at 180 degrees. Easy to mount and wire, did it all myself. I found a topic on here on how to mount it and wire it on another forum (i think it was the bus forum).
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, but my swing axle car is far from stock, there's a ton of shit crammed under the parcel tray. Here's the cooler
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the thermostatic adapter, and tee that holds the fan switch

Here's the cooler

And the fan

My car runs a bit hot with just the stock cooler, but it's 2161cc's. With this added it is very stable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: