Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loss of power
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hank22015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Loss of power Reply with quote

I have '68 and experiencing intermittent loss of power and stalling. I am new to the Beetle thing but did notice just after it stalled when rolling into a parking lot the fuel filter was almost bone dry. Should there be air in the filter or should it be full of fuel. Perhaps I am having fuel issue. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I noticed that my fuel gauge has been dropping and rising at random. Perhaps the issues are linked?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel filter is not a reliable "gauge" for anything. I have seen my filter appear empty when fuel was actually flowing. And on the opposite end, a nearly full filter but a stuck inlet valve preventing any fuel from flowing.

Where you have the filter placed and how high it is relative to the fuel level in the tank/lines can effect the fuel level in the filter.

Even an apparently "clean" filter could be dirty and in need of replacement. The best filters are the solid metal canisters that you cannot see thru. You install them below the fuel tank or next to the transmission and change them every year.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
hank22015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Loss of power Reply with quote

The fuel filter is new. I had it replaced last week when I took it in for an oil change. I was having the loss of power issue before the filter went in. However, I will replace the filter with the type you suggested.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try driving with the fuel tank cap on loosely? Maybe you have a vacuum forming in the fuel tank, decreasing flow rate. Try removing the fuel cap, see if air gets sucked in.

I actually had this happen on mine while driving back from California in the middle of summer, in the middle of nowhere. Believe me, driving at 30 mph on the shoulder of the Interstate in mid-day, mid-summer, was not much fun. I found a vent hose tee plugged with dirt a few weeks later.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
irun5k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can rule out fuel starvation pretty easily by disconnecting the fuel line from the carb, letting it drain into a cup/bottle/etc., and having someone crank the car. Or you can crank by hand using a wrench if you don't have a helper. If gas is flowing you can rule it out. If not, time to start looking at fuel line, maybe checking the fuel sock inside the tank (requires draining tank and removing it), etc.

Does the car start running again after a while if you let it sit? If so, it could also be vapor lock.

If you have a photo of your engine, feel free to post it.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of power Reply with quote

hank22015 wrote:
The fuel filter is new. I had it replaced last week when I took it in for an oil change. I was having the loss of power issue before the filter went in. However, I will replace the filter with the type you suggested.

If your filter is new, wait until next year and replace it with a canister type. No need to replace a perfectly good fuel filter. Just resist the temptation to "read" the fuel flow through the filter.

At most, the fuel filter is entertaining to watch... like watching the front loading washing machine or dryer tumble your clothes. Smile

Run through Speedy Jim's steps on troubleshooting a no start condition. Maybe you will find something that indicates why you are loosing power.
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/eng_strt.htm
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do a full tune-up?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your cheap in-line plastic filter is new and clean.. but, do you have the type of fuel pump that has a built in fuel filter? If so, when was the last time that screen was removed and cleaned?

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: