Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mangels rare, desirable?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Mangels rare, desirable? Reply with quote

I stumbled upon these and cant find much on them. I see lots on the porsche reps but not this particular one. 15x5.5, not chrome. Made in Brazil. Any info would be great.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuaneL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since no one else is speaking up, from what I have read they are better quality then the stock style new ones being sold today. When I tried to find some locally earlier this year I had no luck (I did want the 5.5 but ended up with some 5.5 vintage mags instead that I am quite happy with) not sure how much people would be willing to give for a set but I would think a set of four would be desirable to many who are going for stock look but want the inch wider.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were quite popular in the '90's on mild custom VWs, mostly Beetles.

I bought 4 new ones from JC Whitney about 24 years ago, for my '69 Beetle. $40 apiece. The wheels have approx. 26 to 30mm offset so that they come outwards to the fender edge. They were white powder-coated and had a thin pinstripe near the outer rim edge. The squarish brake cooling holes screamed "not German" and I did not want to keep them white. I asked a colleague who was an instructor for automotive paint, and he advised to simply scuff the surface and wipe with paint prep cleaner. I painted them all-black using Varathane polyurethane gloss paint (HW store) and a conventional spray gun. The black paint hid the shape of the cooling holes, and I had a wide trim ring on them to reduce the all-black appearance. When I sold the Beetle in 2001 I kept the wheels, removed the trim rings, painted the outer edge cream using spray cans, and mounted them on my Fastback. The Fasty did not come with that two-tone wheel paint scheme but it looks OK to me. 185/65 tires all around, and stock VW hubcaps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: