Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiberglass 71 - 74 dash pad -- would you want one?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Fiberglass 71 - 74 dash pad -- would you want one? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am considering having a fiberglass copy of a 71 - 74 dash made. I really like the House of Ghia dash because it doesn't crack or fade but it is a copy of a 67 dash and doesn't have the cut outs for the heater vents of 71 - 74 ghias.

I've spoken to someone who makes fiberglass dashes for various different cars and he would be willing to do run of 15.

He makes near perfect copies but he doesn't work cheap and I would probably sell copies for about 260 - 265. My pad would be destroyed in the mold making process.

How many people would be interested in a fiberglass repro of this dash? Not collecting money -- just trying to see if anyone is interested.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a fiberglass pad from Glassaction.com for $89.00 plus shipping. It doesn't have the speaker grill, but I wasn't planning on putting one there anyway. If I wanted a grill there, I don't think it be to hard to cut one in.

I just did a dry fit with the dash pad inside my 73 coupe, and it fit almost perfect. Looks great as it is, but I may cover it or even paint it to match the color of the car.
danielsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good feedback -- I had forgotten about that dash. Does it have mounting studs?

If i were to go forward the repro would have nylon studs but -- as you indicate -- the difference between 89 dollars and 260 is a lot to pay for speaker grills and proper studs . . . Thanks.

Anyone else? Would anyone be interested if I could get the price down? Positive or negative feedback appreciated (kindly worded negative feedback that is Smile
dcat917
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
I just bought a fiberglass pad from Glassaction.com for $89.00 plus shipping. It doesn't have the speaker grill, but I wasn't planning on putting one there anyway. If I wanted a grill there, I don't think it be to hard to cut one in.

I just did a dry fit with the dash pad inside my 73 coupe, and it fit almost perfect. Looks great as it is, but I may cover it or even paint it to match the color of the car.

I'm getting domain name for sale on Glassaction.com. Seem to be out of business.

I would have loved to have one of these for my restoration but no need now. It would sure beat filling in all those holes for the underdash pad which I have only see on a few cars.
1981 Puma GTB http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7794566#7794566
1971 Karmann Ghia http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591290&highlight=
Past Projects:
1951 Studebaker Business Coupe https://goo.gl/photos/eHPuNo89m9PXZwBM8
1953 Studebaker 2-Door Sedan https://goo.gl/photos/pe38HEShzUrVSwcV8
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you start making any molds, consider the shrink factor of the finished product. This'll be most noticeable across the width of the dash, between the windshield pillars. I tried one of the fiberglass pads for the earlier cars (patterned from a '67 dash pad) and found that it left at least a 1/8" gap at each windshield post. Might not seem like much, but it detracted from the appearance enough for me to return it. The supplier told me that they were all like that. A slight adjustment in the mold to compensate for this shrinkage will allow the new pads to fit perfectly, and look just like OEM.

Other than this, the fiberglass pad looked great and I would've been happy to use it if the fit were better.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcat917 wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:

I'm getting domain name for sale on Glassaction.com. Seem to be out of business.

I would have loved to have one of these for my restoration but no need now. It would sure beat filling in all those holes

for the underdash pad which I have only see on a few cars.

I gave the wrong name, try glass-action.com
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Before you start making any molds, consider the shrink factor of the finished product. This'll be most noticeable across the width of the dash, between the windshield pillars. I tried one of the fiberglass pads for the earlier cars (patterned from a '67 dash pad) and found that it left at least a 1/8" gap at each windshield post. Might not seem like much, but it detracted from the appearance enough for me to return it. The supplier told me that they were all like that. A slight adjustment in the mold to compensate for this shrinkage will allow the new pads to fit perfectly, and look just like OEM.

Other than this, the fiberglass pad looked great and I would've been happy to use it if the fit were better.

That 1/8th inch gap would come in handy if you were having the fiberglass covered in leather as some people do - just sayin'.

If the market were large enough, a manufacturer could offer them in both sizes depending upon whether they were going to be covered or not.
However I suspect that there wouldn't be enough slaes to justify the cost of two molds.
danielsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:

The goal would be to produce one identical to the original -- the fiberglass guy assures me that his come out exactly like the original but, of course, the proof is in the molding.

And, as KG coupe says -- the 1/8 gap has made for a very nice french stitch version. If this pad did sell -- and as of yet no one has said yes they would buy one -- I could probably find someone else to make cheaper version for covering.

The reason I want to go with this guy and not just someone who can lay fiberglass is because he has made a number of copies of dashes that look great -- if I were making one to cover I could probably find someone who would make one for less.

And dcat917 -- good point, if I had a NOS knee pad I would make a copy right away. If someone has an NOS knee pad stashed away . . .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: