Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 912 - How to Wash (ie no Swirls??)
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
azwildcats7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Porsche 912 - How to Wash (ie no Swirls??) Reply with quote

I own a Porsche 912 and I'm always nervous about washing it since the old paint jobs do not include a clear coat. What I am always worried about is swirl marks from washing it. Also, there are conflicting views on the process -

First when cleaning it it seems the best way is to use a mit and get it nice a soapy, so there is a layer between the dirt, so you aren't scratching the dirt into the paint job causing swirls. Is there a "best" soap to use. Should the Shammy be microfiber, wool, cotton??

Ok, so now for drying, again, should I use Microfiber, Wool, .... in order to dry the car. Again, main worry is adding more swirl marks then there already is.

Any other recommendations. I would prefer to polish the car too often to remove layers of paint.

Also, any quick and easy way to do wax? Any recommendations on the wax?

I've also seen something like this guy for dust removal after taking it out for a drive, but seems like this will leave swirls from what I read.

High Quality Microfiber Snow Car Precipitator Dust Remover Brush | Buy Wholesale On Line Direct from China

Thanks!
Max
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 912 - How to Wash (ie no Swirls??) Reply with quote

azwildcats7 wrote:
I own a Porsche 912 and I'm always nervous about washing it since the old paint jobs do not include a clear coat. What I am always worried about is swirl marks from washing it. Also, there are conflicting views on the process -

First when cleaning it it seems the best way is to use a mit and get it nice a soapy, so there is a layer between the dirt, so you aren't scratching the dirt into the paint job causing swirls. Is there a "best" soap to use. Should the Shammy be microfiber, wool, cotton??

Ok, so now for drying, again, should I use Microfiber, Wool, .... in order to dry the car. Again, main worry is adding more swirl marks then there already is.

Any other recommendations. I would prefer to polish the car too often to remove layers of paint.

Also, any quick and easy way to do wax? Any recommendations on the wax?

I've also seen something like this guy for dust removal after taking it out for a drive, but seems like this will leave swirls from what I read.

High Quality Microfiber Snow Car Precipitator Dust Remover Brush | Buy Wholesale On Line Direct from China

Thanks!
Max

A couple of things. Clearcoat or not has nothing to do with it. If you are getting swirls...you are dragging dirt around period.

Microfiber IS softer...but the nature of microfiber is that it has zillions of pores that hold dirt. I use a microfiber mit for washing.

First...rinse the hell out of the car. 10 minutes. Get rid of the surface dirt. I only use soap every other wash.....because any soap doing its job will remove any wax on the market or at least a good portion of it. Pretty much anyt soap is fine. Dish washing liquid...specialized soap....its all the same. You use it ONLY to get grease off the car.

I use the microfiber mitt...for washing only....and only after its been machine washed. If you drop it on the ground accidentally...you are done for the day. It will pick up dirt you cannot get out. I wash the mitt with my clothes. That gets out the vast majority of dirt that will be a problem.

After all washing and rinsing...the best product you can buy is the genuine California water blade....not a crappy wall mart knock off. It takes so much water off so fast.
Wipe up beads with 100% soft cotton jersey dusting cloths....yes... the yellow ones with the sewn on brown or red edge. You can buy them at many auto parts stores in six packs.
There is nothing softer. Make sure to wash them with your clothes and use fabric softener when you dry them.

The best wax I have found hands down it Zymol. Its a micro polish, is water based and yes you can use it in the sun without screwing up your paint...no solvents. I buff it with the same yellow cloths. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good response. I agree with all and would like to add a few.
Wash it in the shade as this will slow the drying time and won't allow water spotting to set. Wash from top to bottom.
If you don't have a speed dry blade, put hose on very light trickle and run across the surface slowly to avoid spotting also making sure you cover the hose edge with your hand so it will not touch the surface and scratch it.
DO NOT WEAR WATCHES, RINGS, JEWELRY!! They will scratch your vehicle!
The California Blade is awesome though.

Last edited by 67 Sunroof on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'67 Sunroof wrote:
Very good response. I agree with all and would like to add a few.
Wash it in the shade as this will slow the drying time and won't allow water spotting to set. Wash from top to bottom.
If you don't have a speed dry blade, put hide on very light trickle and run across the surface slowly to avoid spotting also making sure you cover the hose edge with your hand so it will not touch the surface and scratch it.
DO NOT WEAR WATCHES, RINGS, JEWELRY!! They will scratch your vehicle!
The California Blade is awesome though.

X2 exactly!
Usually I have to rewet the car constantly on a warm day. The tap water here in Iowa is horrible....water spot city. In the shade or a cool day is best. Keep it wet, blade it off fast....mop up little droplets, dont forget to dry inside of door jambs and gas tank lid.

Its after first wash that I immediately wax, then buff the wax, then wash just with water using a soft tooth brush and clean water to remove any extra wax from light bezels, crevices and gaskets....then blade it off again and wipe up water spots again. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wash mine with a product called Optimum No Rinse, or ONR. It is not expensive, per se; a $17 bottle will last years.

You use several gallons of clean water as a rinse bucket, and use a screen in the bottom of your bucket to keep your mitt off of the bottom of the bucket, where dirt may collect.

Using a spray bottle of clean water, or use distilled, add a capful of ONR. Mist each section heavily, until the water is rolling off the panel. Then use your clean, wet mitt to wipe the panel (without pressure) in straight lines, and use a lot of water in the mitt, rinsing the mitt out well each time. Then blot (don't drag!!) each panel with a detailer drying towel. When you're done, you've used a capful of product, maybe two gallons of water, and the car is dry and clean. None of this will cause scratches or swirls, and you can do it indoors, anytime of year. I follow this up with glaze and either wax or a polymeric liquid wax.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
I wash mine with a product called Optimum No Rinse, or ONR. It is not expensive, per se; a $17 bottle will last years.

You use several gallons of clean water as a rinse bucket, and use a screen in the bottom of your bucket to keep your mitt off of the bottom of the bucket, where dirt may collect.

Using a spray bottle of clean water, or use distilled, add a capful of ONR. Mist each section heavily, until the water is rolling off the panel. Then use your clean, wet mitt to wipe the panel (without pressure) in straight lines, and use a lot of water in the mitt, rinsing the mitt out well each time. Then blot (don't drag!!) each panel with a detailer drying towel. When you're done, you've used a capful of product, maybe two gallons of water, and the car is dry and clean. None of this will cause scratches or swirls, and you can do it indoors, anytime of year. I follow this up with glaze and either wax or a polymeric liquid wax.

Cool!.....you should REALLY try the original water blade for that. I will never go back to chamois or detailing towels. I only use those for mopping up small drips now. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: