Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need rear end help!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaaronw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Need rear end help! Reply with quote

PO put a straight axle in my '58 with cut sprung plates and no shocks. It's not pretty. I'm getting ready for a new 2180 motor will need a new tranny. I also want to go with a disc brake kit. I'm wondering if I should stay with a straight axle or switch to an IRS. Will the IRS give a much better ride? I'm planning to keep the 4" drop, but the option to go back to stock height with an IRS would be nice. Is the extra money worth it? Any advice is much appreciated.
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock height with an IRS will give your axles a really steep angle as they traverse the RGB height. You will burn through CV joint boots every year.

If you keep the 4" drop, IRS will not give a significantly better ride but will allow higher highway speeds. Are the shock mounts still there? Springs alone are not the safest set-up.

I love my IRS and the way it keeps the wheels closer to perpendicular to the road. Been driving my '66 for 23 years now, been Calif - Florida three times.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: