Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Could use your help on this crew/single cab combo
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Could use your help on this crew/single cab combo Reply with quote

Hello all my Samba brothers and sisters,
I recently acquired what I believe to be one of historys greatest VW for my family. I have been able to trace the history of the build back to T2 (a TheSamba member) who added walk through seats, windows to the back of the cab & a few other cool bits.

Here is where I could use your help on this. Many years before I acquired this dream I thought I had read a story on how she started her life. From what I recall She was owned in NorCal and one night she was being driven home what a round-about got the best of her a she experienced a roll over. Her owner loved her so much that to replace the totaled cab section he searched and found a crew cab donor that he could revive her with.

I know it sounds like I know her history already but Im hoping someone out there in cyberspace could IM any additional info, links or pics they may have.

Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1259061
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Currently chasing down a late 80s 911 for her new powerplant as we tour this wonderful country of ours.
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not into pieced together vehicles, but in this case I have to make an exception. That ??Cab is killer. Razz
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry,

I am also a Las Vegas local and I own a 65 Doublecab that is waiting for its turn for rust repair to get on the road. Hit me up if you need a hand with yours.

I could not find the old thread here, but I think the truck you bought had a lot of the work done down at Kustom Coach Werks. I tried to find it on their website, but it looks like it is being upgraded. I found what looks like an old picture of your truck in the Gallery here on Samba.

Ron Johnson

Terry Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: That is her at KCW Reply with quote

Thanks for reaching out Ron. T2 sent me that link but i wasn't sure if posting another sites link was ok (Everett even sent me T2s.info to start this wonderful journey) but being new to posting I choose not to step on anothers toes.

Once the 911 powerplant is inserted I can't wait to meet many new friends at regional shows.

Take care
Terry Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Here is T2s work at KCW Reply with quote

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6270&highlight=shrek
From T2
I bought in October 2007 off of Ebay in Northern California.  The guy selling it had owned it for a number of years.  I had been trying to buy it from him for a couple years but he was a real difficult person to deal with and wanted $7000 for it.  One day it popped up on Ebay and I got it for $3700 or so.  I collected all the stuff for it as it was just a shell with a hacked out wall behind the front seats.  After collecting all the parts my buddy John, owner of KCW, allow ed me to spend a week with him working on the truck and getting the metal work done.  Kevin McCain, John and myself worked on it for a week.  Installed the corner windows, walk thru section, lowered it etc.   I brought the truck home and it sat for about 2 years due to lack of money or time.  I eventually should it to Chaz in Colorado.  He did a lot of work to it to get it to the current state you bought it in.

ME now

Chaz is who I acquired her from but have yet to get a storyline of work from apart from the pictures exchanged when setting up the buy.

I connected with Corey (Blackdog1999) when searching for bullet turn singles to find out he had grown up only a few miles from her in his younger days and fully enjoyed the wealth of knowledge he had on her. P.S. If you are looking for that hard to find part look him up. He is one of the great folks that I have delt with on TheSamba
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the story and the link.

Do you have plans to cut the height of the gates down to match up better with the bottom of the corner windows? The picture on your link to the KCW site shows the dove blue double cab with corner windows added. That truck has had the gates cut down so the top of the gates matches the bottom of the corner windows and it just seems to flow much better.

Ron
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both examples appear lowered... Why would someone go to all the trouble of adding the extra hauling capacity... and then spend even more time/money lowering it... Which means you can't haul anything.

Not trying to be rude. Honest question.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think vw buses or trucks are unable to haul stuff lowered. Maybe not overloaded like you can get away with stock height, but I've certainly done my share of moving house to house with a lowered bus, and I didn't have any problems. I regularly see lowered trucks with big hauls at swap meets too. I'll go as far as to say vw trucks can be a little weird handling wise unless they are lowered and/or have some weight in the back
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Yes she is lowered Reply with quote

I would not take it that you are being rude but I do not know if sarcasm is easily detectable by some. With the goal of a Porsche 3.2l to be her powertrain, heavy loads are not in the picture. The only hauling I want to do is hauling my rear to VW events with comfort and speed. The latter requiring her to be low so air works with me & not against. The long bed will, with a proper cover, make a peaceful place to slumber when the weather is right at camping events like the ones in near by AZ. I don't plan on having her at the end of the journey in just a few months but yet taking in all that life has to show along the way.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the DC long bed. Thought the 15 window graft kills it for me. It just seems like it went too far. Other than that, I think that truck is awesome
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Erik G, A lowered bus can haul plenty depending on how low and spring rates. Add disc brakes and i.r.s. and now it can also handle much better and stop faster. It also helps if you have a engine that will stay cool while running at modern freeway speeds while loaded.
My truck is presently set-up to carry #1700 and still ride and handle like a car when empty.

Terry your longbed D.C will be very useful for hauling and hauling ass with the help of a 3.2 Porsche engine, it will cruise at 90 in 90 deg. weather if you need to.

This load went through the scales at over #6000 gross. drove smooth and stopped as fast as a modern car. Very Happy
Terry Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement 67dubcab. I had read your post with Mini Me-canic and Sean, who I think both have mad skills, when deciding to start this journey. If Twisted Mini was not so far away they would have been an option had I gone with a 924.

I bet that girl screams down the freeway. There is a 911 coming up for auction next month that I will be bidding on for this project. Wish me luck.

There is also the Las Vegas Bugin and Pomona coming up where I may find what I am looking for.
Terry Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: a new present for the holidays Reply with quote

I secured a 1987 Porsche 944 for my birthday Cool that will be incorporated into the bus as it moves forward. I know the suspension, lights and some interior are already marked for the move but the engine and tranny are going back on to the marketplace. hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday season.

In talks with a seller about the needed 915 transmission but open to what others have available. This summer her engine should be ready to install (w/AC for those hot days)
Terry Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Engine has arrived Reply with quote

I did some research and communicating with owners of Porsche and Subaru vehicles. What I decided on is the 2006 WRX 2.5 turbo from All Wheels Driven, in Bend OR,to power my girl; thanks Barrett. Taxes should be in soon and that is where the KEP adapter, clutch & 915 transmission will come in. The waiting is the hardest part. Unless someone knows of a better place to get the adapter and stage 2 clutch (hint-hint a lager turbo is also in her future once the 944 brakes are working)

POWER ON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice of motor. Just finished a 57SC 2.0 JDM turbo. We love it too. If you need any advice or parts call Outfront Motorsports. They can hook you up. If we can help too don't hesitate to ask. We did all kinds of Subaru here in Hawaii (OVER 20 DIFFERENT PROJECTS ON ALL TYPES OF VW'S). In the process of doing a 63 DC now with a Vanagon automatic with electronic push bottom shifter and ac of course. We can send all kind of pictures if you need. Jeremy at Outfront knows us well and he can help you too. They are the best in the business.
Good luck and Power On.
Bill T234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the subi conversion! But then again I like fast busses Twisted Evil

Link

DBK Las Vegas
www.Letstalkdubs.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Another part to the puzzle Reply with quote

After searching for the transmission needed for my project I was able to locate this dream down in Phoenix. She is out of a 1986 911 and clean. The owner, Richard from Bulletproof, got the tranny to Dan in Phoenix. Dan found the tranny was not appropriate for his six cylinder race configuration. After meeting with him and discussing my project goals I felt this was the right fit.

DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this truck, I helped Chaz a bit with it when he owned it. It is one cool ride and all the metal work was very well done. I wasn't a fan of the lowered state of the bus as it was so low just looking at it wrong would cause it to scrape. I would have tossed a stock suspension on it, but I think airbags would make it much more drivable while maintaining it's lowered status. I believe one of the hurdles when Chaz owned it was getting the brakes to work as they were a hodgepodge of t2 and t3 parts. Its a really cool bus and I hope you enjoy rockin it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Cool DC, Sir. Please document the mods carefully for all of us droolers. Pics of the chassis would be appreciated.
Terry Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Could use your help on this crew/single cab combo Reply with quote

The KEP trans/engine plate has arrived. I will be installing the suspension setup from red9design.com out of UK. Gonna see if we can have her ready for a VW show later this year. Did not see one listed for Vegas but AZ or CA are just as nice. Work is set to start in June. More pictures will be added then
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: