Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a 1970 baja
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' Good!
The ThornBird is my all time most favorite tire, I've owned many sets.
I just get tired of them wearing front end parts out so damn fast.
But... I always purchase another set because well idk why just addicted to 'em I guess.

You're car is coming along nicely, good luck and keep up the good work!

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
dweiss76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. I am also going to fit thornbirds on my 56 baja. Was going to do 30x11.50 but seeing you got 33's I may as well get the 31x12.50's. How to thet clear on the front when turned lock to lock? Also put up more pics with those tires please.
dave-in-indiana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of putting together a long travel front end. Not sure of interference issues yet. When I run into them I will post the problem and the solution that I used to solve it. At this stage it is more of a "mock-up" then the finished product. I believe the 33s will work fine using some creative clearance solutions. I will put more photos up of the tires, soon.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my 74 baja with 31/10.5/15 bfg km2's i have rub at full turn if i hit a bump on the inside of the inside rear of the tire. planning on cutting the wheel wells out and hammering out new ones and welding them about an inch back and and 1.5-2" inward to make some extra room for tire clearance. it all depends on backspacing also unless you are really beefing up the pitman arm and tie rod ends you will be seeing some increased wear on the steering components.

my pitman arm was already starting to elongate on the passenger side when i purchased it but it definitely became more noticeable after about 2-3 weeks of driving it with my 31's mounted.
dave-in-indiana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to take a few days off, work and family commitments. The original ideas I had for the suspension on this project are going to need rethinking. Starting with the front end, these tires are going to require a wider beam to make it work correctly. That being said, I am looking at other peoples successes with long travel frontends. I think that I am going to attempt to build my own double beam front end. In the meantime after the kids football games, choir recitals, church and dinner with the wife's side; I will try and post pictures of the roll cage and how the suspension seats are mounted. Anyone with success/failure with fabbing their own beam, comments and ideas are welcome.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: