Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strange Clutch Issues...Need Help!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67dragbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Strange Clutch Issues...Need Help! Reply with quote

I have a 62 beetle that I just bought not too long ago. The PO did a "restore" and did a crappy job putting it back together. It runs and drives good, it is 12 volt, 1600DP engine, I don't know much of the history on the car other than that. When its cold the clutch feels fine. Good pedal, engages good, doesn't slip, etc. After I drive it for awhile, sometimes 10 minutes sometimes 30 minutes, the clutch goes to crap. When I push it in to stop, in disengages fine then when I'm sitting still, I go to take off and let up on the pedal and nothing. It does not engage and it does not go anywhere, 1st or reverse. If I push the pedal again it feels very very soft and spongy with very little resistance on the pedal at all. Sometimes if I work the pedal a little it will come back and work fine, other times I have to rev the engine pretty high to get it to engage or release the pedal really fast, sometimes while revving the engine. Then it gets worse from there, even happening when I change gears going down the road. I was able to get it home and I adjusted the cable but it did not help. The bowden tube looks ok, it maybe could use a little more sag in it, but it is there. What could possibly be causing this? Do I need to pull the engine and inspect? Its just very strange that it works great when cold. Any help is very much appreciated!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suspect the pressure plate is hanging up so probably time to pull the engine
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Engine Oil or trans grease on the disc will slip after warming up causing trhe engine to rev up easy and car not moving.

(VW mechanic retired)
67dragbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward the pressure plate also, only because the pedal feels so soft when it is acting up. Is there a spring on the throwout bearing or anywhere that could be causing the problem? I'm at a loss, guess its time to pull the engine and inspect.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find the cross shaft in the bell housing is binding or frozen on it's bushings.

Some one may have tried to adapt a late model TO bearing and guide sleeve and got it wrong.

It may have received a Korean clutch pack which does not tolerate over extending the clutch much past the disengage point before it grabs the clutch disc by the pressure plate ring with dastardly results.

SO- as mentioned- might need to drop that motor and take a look.- PS- don't get a $60 clutch kit.-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67dragbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally got the engine pulled out and I don't see anything obvious. Here are pics of the clutch, pp, tranny and flywheel. Anyone see anything that looks off that could be causing my problems? Again its a 1600DP in a 62 beetle. Is this the wrong pressure plate and throw out bearing combo? I am stumped. Works great till it warms up then goes to crap. Clutch disc looks good and seems dry. Any ideas? Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you double checked the front tranny mount ; I have read of really interesting problems from broken mounts

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: