Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Clutch problem question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATD51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: 1965 Clutch problem question Reply with quote

Hi, My son has a 1965 bug. The clutch cable broke at the end near the pedal. I ended up having to drive it home in second gear only a mile or two. When I pulled up in front of the house I left it in gear and shut it off and coasted in the driveway never taking out of gear. We replaced the cable today with no problems or issues. When we started it up with the clutch pedal depressed, it made a horrible grinding noise like it was still in gear. I shouted to shut it off. We took it out of gear and started it up again. No noise, but when you depress the clutch cable it again makes this grinding noise like its in gear. You can feel a definite vibration/grinding in the pedal when depressing the clutch. I also jacked the the bug up with the wheels off the ground and started the car, and released the parking brake and the wheels turn slowly with the bug out of gear. Any ideas or suggestions? Could it be a throw out bearing issue? I havent had a chance to take off the cover plate and check the shift rods. But the bushing has been replaced. Thanks in advance, we are trying to get it fixed before the H2oi show this weekend.
ATD51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the pedal feels a lot different then it did before the cable broke. Its easier to depress like there isn't much tension.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the cable suddenly snaps, the shock can knock the throw-out bearing loose from the cross shaft.

You say it will idle in neutral, right? When jacked up, it's normal for the wheels to turn in neutral with the engine running.
With all the gears spinning inside (it's a "constant mesh" type gearbox), the heavy trans oil acts like a viscous clutch.

I would say an engine R&I is next in order to inspect clutch parts inside the bell housing.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
1badride65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a problem with the throw out bearing
ATD51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i guess it looks like I will be pulling the motor then. Thanks for your help.
ATD51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update this...I ended up pulling the motor. The TO bearing shaft had a broken arm. We replaced it and installed a new clutch...but now its popping out of second, ughh. So we checked the usual suspected areas, and ended up pulling it all again. Going to replace the trans. Thanks for the help!!
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all this happened at once it might be a good time to find out from your son what he was doing that caused this to happen.

Trying to do wheelies and burnouts with a 40 horse VW isn't a good idea.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: