Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Syncro 16 Reimo Hightop eTDI
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
Brian I'm looking forward to the updates. Your rig is sweet! I just bought a Reimo Syncro too. I'm curious about how you will convert to US spec, electrical (land connection) and propane are different. Is your propane stored in removable Euro spec tanks that mount in the back cabinet? Also any specs on that fridge? It too is cool like the rest of the rig. Props and Congratulations on a successful maiden voyage.

Looking forward to info on your rig too - will be interesting to see if it has the same roof profile or not.
o For converting power, I haven't figure out how to access all the wiring yet, whether I need to replace the panel or not, or just the charger and 220V plug housing.
o My propane tank is stored under the sink, but there was no tank as shipped (can't go on the boat apparently), and the fitting doesn't work with any tanks I can find here - likely metric, and need to adapt to 9/16"?
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a quick check of the Turbo. See if it is pushing oil? If it runs well, just burns oil, a seal in the Turbo could be your problem. That is a high rate of oil consumption, or loss? You will be able to see it. Does it Smoke?

Here is a photo of mine. Yours is a newer design? Mine is a 1987 model top is a bunk. A bit tight for me up there but manageable.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mine didn't come with the propane bottle either.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
Do a quick check of the Turbo. See if it is pushing oil? If it runs well, just burns oil, a seal in the Turbo could be your problem. That is a high rate of oil consumption, or loss? You will be able to see it. Does it Smoke?

Here is a photo of mine. Yours is a newer design? Mine is a 1987 model top is a bunk. A bit tight for me up there but manageable.

Mine didn't come with the propane bottle either.

No smoking, except on one cold morning. I did see a good sized drip happening from left-hand side of engine somewhere (looking at back of van), after hard freeway miles. With the skid-plate, makes figuring out things tricky.

There is one hose that is unconnected which typically is a loop-back of some kind, and is just dripping to pavement. I have no idea what it comes off of, as I'm mechanically declined. Let me go take a picture.

Nice van! My top is all storage, no upper bunk, just the way I like it. Smile
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here are some engine bay pictures and dumb observations / questions:

Small labels in the image above are for:
1. This hose goes nowhere, and aligns nicely to where I saw large drip / small puddle forming after a highway stretch at 65mph. What the heck is this hose, and where is it supposed to go?

2. This is not connected. Is it a turbo-timer or some other pump that is supposed to run after the engine is shut-off?

3. The pressure cap has a hose that goes nowhere. You can see it terminate middle-left of the photo. Normally it tucks over a bit and just hangs down. Shouldn't there be an overflow tank somewhere, or did they not bother with it because the engine-bay is pretty full?

Additionally, this little guy isn't connected to anything (bottom middle of 1st pic, middle of 2nd pic). Where is it supposed to go, or just a test-lead?

And finally, this line seems to be a dead-end. I wonder if this is my fuel-feed for the diesel heater Exclamation

srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

# 1 is your return line from the crankcase breather. That should go either in a catch can or back in the block (here's an image of my IDI diesel before installing , you can see the hose going from the puck down into the block: https://www.flickr.com/photos/srmpf/9113575120/in/set-72157626192344066) EDIT: looking closer at your pictures it looks more like the other hose going from the puck to the intake.

#2 is a electric pump for the coolant system. some european vanagon diesels came with it. connect it to your alternator via a relay so that it runs when the engine is on.

#3 should go to an overflow tank. the idea is that the coolant flows in the overflow tank when hot (expand) and sucks back the coolant when it cools down so that you don't have any air in the system.

#4 if don't have any idea

#5 i would check where it starts - if it's really for your diesel heater you should double check if it doesn't squirt diesel when you want heat Smile

Last edited by srmpf on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and congratulations - that syncro looks awesome!
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is an aux water pump that will run AFTER the engine is shut off to help cool things down. Only the turbo diesels came with these along with a fan and ducting to cool the turbo after the engine is shut down. There is a relay and wiring behind the drivers taillight.(and the fan) No idea if the conversion to TDi kept the relays that make this system work.

If the relays and fan have been stripped from the van you may want to eliminate the pump and excess hoses.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another note - despite new harness+glowplugs, the glow-plug light is on dimly all the time. Ideas?

Any further thoughts on the hose routing / unconnects above?
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

number one is the breather and on a standard set up joins to the air intake to turbo (hard plastic pipe)

number two is the aux water pump, only comes on with ignition off and very high coolant temp

number three, pressure cap hose should run to a top up tank situated behind the numberplate flap (as per petrol engines)

loose wire, don't know

fuel hoses, i can't quite see where they all cross over. but the two spigots facing the back of van on the filter are the fuel flow and return to pump. It looks like you have something t'd into one of these with a little filter? if so, yes that could be the supply for a heater.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
#2 is an aux water pump that will run AFTER the engine is shut off to help cool things down. Only the turbo diesels came with these along with a fan and ducting to cool the turbo after the engine is shut down. There is a relay and wiring behind the drivers taillight.(and the fan) No idea if the conversion to TDi kept the relays that make this system work.

If the relays and fan have been stripped from the van you may want to eliminate the pump and excess hoses.

Yup. If you have an extra coolant temp sensor hole in your system, you can use a Eurovan afterrun temp sensor to activate it when it's at temp and the car is off. It's a really nice feature on cars with coolant cooled turbos, but you might want to remove it since they are prone to leaking.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is the crank breather and the typical connection would be in the intake between the air filter and the turbo compressor inlet. Take great care with connecting it, though. If your engine has excessive oil in the crank case vent, it can cause a runaway situation where the engine runs on its own crankcase oil. When that occurs, the engine will run on its own at FULL POWER. The ignition key will not turn it off and if the clutch is depressed or the trans placed in neutral it will rev uncontrollably with internal damage very likely. In that situation, the thing to do is to keep it in gear and stomp on the brake to drop the rpms until it stops running away or stalls.

I had that occur on one engine of mine and despite keeping a clear head and reacting properly it was quite frightening to have the vehicle take off on its own at full power. I was jittery for the rest of the day.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
#1 is the crank breather and the typical connection would be in the intake between the air filter and the turbo compressor inlet. Take great care with connecting it, though. If your engine has excessive oil in the crank case vent, it can cause a runaway situation where the engine runs on its own crankcase oil. When that occurs, the engine will run on its own at FULL POWER. The ignition key will not turn it off and if the clutch is depressed or the trans placed in neutral it will rev uncontrollably with internal damage very likely. In that situation, the thing to do is to keep it in gear and stomp on the brake to drop the rpms until it stops running away or stalls.

I had that occur on one engine of mine and despite keeping a clear head and reacting properly it was quite frightening to have the vehicle take off on its own at full power. I was jittery for the rest of the day.

Well, that scares the bejesus out of me, thanks Shocked
I'm pretty sure that hose is where some of the oil droppings are coming from, and if so that would likely cause "excessive oil in the crank case vent" as you mention above, thus leading to a scenario where my uncool head would result in catastrophe Neutral

I guess obvious follow-up questions would be "are these normally hooked up as stock?", and if so "why would mine be expelling too much oil, potentially leading to issues"? Is there something that should be fixed first, before even *contemplating* plumbing that line "properly"?

So much to learn... Smile Thanks for the ongoing contributions Andrew!
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:

Yup. If you have an extra coolant temp sensor hole in your system, you can use a Eurovan afterrun temp sensor to activate it when it's at temp and the car is off. It's a really nice feature on cars with coolant cooled turbos, but you might want to remove it since they are prone to leaking.

Do I have a coolant cooled turbo? How can I tell? Also, I seem to have a second filler - is that for the turbo?

For diesel oil, what are people running in their TDIs? I'm on 5w-40 right now.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite understand why there's a pre-filter fitted to either the outflow or return side of the main filter, since it has fairly large mesh meant to nab large chunks of rust and algae being expelled directly from the tank.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:

Do I have a coolant cooled turbo? How can I tell? Also, I seem to have a second filler - is that for the turbo?

For diesel oil, what are people running in their TDIs? I'm on 5w-40 right now.

I doubt it is a water cooled turbo but I haven't seen it. If it only has one line in and out, it is only oil cooled.

I run Shell Rotella T6 5-40 synthetic in my TDI. 3000 mile changes and tire rotations. Overkill based on reviews of that oil but it's simple and cheap preventative maintenance.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crank vent will always blow some oil. The real question is how much is coming out of yours. You can run it into a catch can and place a crank vent filter from a V8 on the can so that you can see how much. The engine I had that ran away was running an absurd amount of oil through the crank vent. I'm not exactly sure how much as I didn't drive it much before it ran away and immediately took it out of service. It was definitely more than 1 qt in 500 miles. My concern in posting was the possibility that the engine ran started to run away on the previous owner and that they disconnected the crank vent in order to prevent the issue from recurring.

Can you get pics up of the turbo and oil return line?
srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
#2 is an aux water pump that will run AFTER the engine is shut off to help cool things down.

ok dumb question of the day: if the engine is shut down, why would i continue moving the coolant around? better for the block if it cools down quickly?
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the block will cool down quicker with the pump running as it circulates the water(removing heat). The water is likely to boil if just left sitting in a very hot block
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Brian
How is the rig? Do you have any updates? I got mine and got busy doing other stuff. I did use it a few times but have not built it out much. I am a bit bummed with the cabinets. The middle cabinet requires the seat to be in the bed position to access its' contents. Other then bedding in there is a pain. How are you liking yours?
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
Hello Brian
How is the rig? Do you have any updates? I got mine and got busy doing other stuff. I did use it a few times but have not built it out much. I am a bit bummed with the cabinets. The middle cabinet requires the seat to be in the bed position to access its' contents. Other then bedding in there is a pain. How are you liking yours?

Not yet registered in WA, due to various notarized translations being required. Should be done this week! However, after sitting for a month, the TDI is extremely smokey, and low on power - as I found out when moving it around the block. A cop even popped by and told me it was an environmental hazard Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: