Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flaps or not: hot climate
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Idea People do not remember that the STOCK engine was designed to run over time and if run under the original STOCK parts they could expect many miles of trouble free miles of driving...then here comes the modify people.

As I had stated earlier the VW was designed fore the masses by Hitler and then was used during his war front into Russia and down into the deserts of the middle east. Don't think any FLAPS were used by Rommel.

Different experiences are valid in their own way.

As builder had one car come in that had FRIED with the thermostat expanding to 3 times it's original size....one unhappy car owner.

Reaching behind to double check the rod functions sound nice until the wife or daughter jump in for a Grocery trip and phone you that the car will not run...see my point.

So Calif car mechanics do not want a "Small Claims Court Law Suite" over some part that failed of which he had NOTHING to do with re any car repair he did. (I have been in those shoes)

As one person mentioned his employer (DLR) had all the FLAPS and linkage S*** canned to save his butt.

Yes, I will admit as #3 having removed those FLAP items.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HRVW wrote:
As I had stated earlier the VW was designed fore the masses by Hitler

I believe that Mr. Porsche designed the VW. Porsche was an automotive engineer. Hitler was not, but likely stylized himself as an expert - like being expert on 2-front war, declaring was on USA because we were a "mongrel nation" who could never defend itself so could not be a factor in the European war, chasing out scientists who could've help his war effort (for example: Einstein), utilizing resources during war time for mass murder.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
HRVW wrote:
As I had stated earlier the VW was designed fore the masses by Hitler

I believe that Mr. Porsche designed the VW. Porsche was an automotive engineer. Hitler was not, but likely stylized himself as an expert - like being expert on 2-front war, declaring was on USA because we were a "mongrel nation" who could never defend itself so could not be a factor in the European war, chasing out scientists who could've help his war effort (for example: Einstein), utilizing resources during war time for mass murder.....

I think the quote should be the corrected to..."The VW was designed for the masses per hitler's order."

hitler did not design the car. hitler was only evil, period.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
EverettB wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
There ought to be a single "Flaps or No Flaps" thread like there's just one "What Oil Should I Use" thread.

No need because there is no discussion needed.
Anyone who has ever driven a VW in any sort of cold weather, including CA, knows the car drives better with all the warm-up gear in place.

Right up till the warm up gear fail closed fails closed..

I saw what you did there..
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
No flaps or flap mechanism within the 356 shrouding or tin, basically the same engine design platform as VW......why not?

This is not true.

356s has a similar thermostat-based mechanism that opens a pair of flaps in the lower tin to enable engine fan and carburetors to suck hot air from near the muffler, mixed with fresh air from the upper grill.

Why did not 356 engines use the same VW mechanism, i. e. thermo-controlled flaps into the fan shroud?

My thought: 356 engines are almost all with dual carb with a fresh air filter (no preheat duct) so, with the two-lower-flaps thermostat either fan and carburetors can use warmed air, when thermostat decides it needs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: