Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Softening the suspension
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the front you can also remove on set of leaves entirely and replace it with a through rod or Formula Vee style swaybar (which I did on mine) and it will ride wonderfully. In the rear, depending on what suspension style you have you can run longer torsion bars and the corresponding spring plates for a softer ride. I hate running low tire pressures in my buggy tires because they seem to walk all over the place. especially in corners or changing lanes at speed. It's rather run higher pressures and bounce a bit I always run 24 front 28-30 rear.

brad
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buggy (built on a '72 pan) has a full set of torsion leaves in the front beam and a set of 24mm thick torsion bars at the back (stock is 22mm). The front torsion leaves are original, so they are pretty clapped out and provide a nice ride. The reason for the larger diameter bars in the back is I add a lot of weight to the buggy for camping, and the original stock bars couldn't handle it.

My shocks are Fox shocks which have been valved for the way I use the buggy. Those shocks are one of the best investments I made for the car.

In this picture, you can see how the camping gear, various provisions, 10 gallons of water, and 5 gallons of extra gas manage to compress the back end even with 24mm torsion bars.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lee
jsup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, here's what I'm thinking.

I'll take out 3 smaller ones out of the top and bottom cut them short, spot weld onto the remaining torsion springs where the set screws fit. Left, right, and center.

I'm going to keep the KYBs for the back, and change to cheepo shocks in front.

I ordered a new beam with two inch drop adjusters from SO-CAL Imports.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?
jsup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
In the front you can also remove on set of leaves entirely and replace it with a through rod or Formula Vee style swaybar (which I did on mine) and it will ride wonderfully. In the rear, depending on what suspension style you have you can run longer torsion bars and the corresponding spring plates for a softer ride. I hate running low tire pressures in my buggy tires because they seem to walk all over the place. especially in corners or changing lanes at speed. It's rather run higher pressures and bounce a bit I always run 24 front 28-30 rear.

brad

Where would I get one of these formula vee bars? Are they the same length?

What if I got some bar stock and had a local machine shop and machine it square in the right places to fit, and turn down the center to a smaller diameter. That's about the same as any pictures I can find on the internet of a formual V bar.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can keep stock or add after market sway bar, remove upper leaves altogether and just use "through rod" to keep trailing arms pulled in...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jsup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like making stuff. I'm drawing up plans right now for something that looks like the Formula Vee stuff. It's pretty simple. Just need some bar stock, a mill, lathe, and drill press. Got enough friends with that stuff.

I just need to talk to an engineer and see what kind of steel to use. I'm thinking 1074 or 1075 steel but need to verify it.

I'll have to see in the morning, sometimes things look better in the fog of tiredness.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do just yet, I appreciate all the input. I already ordered the adjustable beam, so I have some options.
Jerry39218
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsup wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Your friend has a very valid point, but as mentioned above new softer torsion bars are not available. Lowering tire pressure is a good alternative. Use the cheapest oil filled shocks you can find.

AHHHHH crap. I already purchased kyb gas shocks.

you will absolutely HATE that choice Sad

Best I could find was the cheapest autozone shocks, and they are still gas filled... but not as bad, and also run 20lbs of air up front...
Best choice is oil filled old shocks if you can find some, I haven't found any yet as all the parts houses have cleaned up around here. haven't had a chance to check a junk yard yet. But yeah, wish I had found samba before getting those kyb's haha. JARRING ride to say the least Very Happy
jsup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry39218 wrote:
jsup wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Your friend has a very valid point, but as mentioned above new softer torsion bars are not available. Lowering tire pressure is a good alternative. Use the cheapest oil filled shocks you can find.

AHHHHH crap. I already purchased kyb gas shocks.

you will absolutely HATE that choice Sad

Best I could find was the cheapest autozone shocks, and they are still gas filled... but not as bad, and also run 20lbs of air up front...
Best choice is oil filled old shocks if you can find some, I haven't found any yet as all the parts houses have cleaned up around here. haven't had a chance to check a junk yard yet. But yeah, wish I had found samba before getting those kyb's haha. JARRING ride to say the least Very Happy

Sometimes Rock Auto has a closeout, that's how I bought them. They claim to be "original ride quality". They were the cheapest ones they had. They are the EXCEL G version.
jsup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anywhere I can get the weight of the front end, and measurement in NM or FT LbS of the torsion springs?

This way I can figure out what the diameter should be if I choose to make something up.

It would be a WAGS situation (to a point) but as a friend says "it's all numbers" I just don't know if I should cut the torque in 1/2, 1/3, 5/8 to make it right.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe NAPA carries oil filled shocks for the VW
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPI has standard oil filled shocks... OR at least they used to...

http://vwcatalog.empius.com/vwcatalog/2014/164.html

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my sway bar here.
http://www.sracing.com/Store/FST_Stuff/FST_Stuff.htm

DWP
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own swaybar for the front of my buggy. I simply used a piece of 3/4" square stock and filed down the ends to fit in the arms as they are just a bit smaller than 3/4". In the center I cut out the top spring holder and tube, (about 2" out of the center) and pushed the holder out in a press and welded the tube back into the beam. On my bar I also radius the edges a bit to take off the square corners where it doesn't go into the arms.

brad
jsup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I made my own swaybar for the front of my buggy. I simply used a piece of 3/4" square stock and filed down the ends to fit in the arms as they are just a bit smaller than 3/4". In the center I cut out the top spring holder and tube, (about 2" out of the center) and pushed the holder out in a press and welded the tube back into the beam. On my bar I also radius the edges a bit to take off the square corners where it doesn't go into the arms.

brad

That's my plan. take 3/4 square stock, mill it down to fit just right, leave a 3 inch block in the center for the set screw, and one at each end for same.

Put the bar on a lathe and take it down to maybe 5/8 inch between the blocks to give it some flexibility.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT leave a 3 inch block in the center. That bar needs to float inside the tube or else you will have NO suspension travel. The set screws going into the bar on both arms will keep them located. Just make sure you press them in all the way before you make your points for the grub screws.
jsup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
DONT leave a 3 inch block in the center. That bar needs to float inside the tube or else you will have NO suspension travel. The set screws going into the bar on both arms will keep them located. Just make sure you press them in all the way before you make your points for the grub screws.

I know what you're saying about the bar needs to float. My intent was to have it float between the end and the center on each side.

I was thinking something like this:

http://216.143.135.198/photo/webapi/download.php?a...6e2e6a7067

I thought by turning down the pieces between the blocks (for lack of a better description) I can figure out how far I have to turn them down to get the spec I need. That's a lot of math that's over my head, so I'm checking with a couple friends who are engineers.

I know it depends on type of material,etc..
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't float if it is held in the middle. The bar will twist and eventually break from repeated flexing. You cannot have anything holding it in the middle AT ALL. I can't emphisize this enough. The bar in your drawing will not work as a swaybar. All it will do is hold the suspension solid untill it fatigues and breaks Look at Formula Vee bars they do not have anything in the middle, that is how you want to build yours.

brad
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole ides of anti-sway bar is to transfer energy from one side of car to other.... To have wheel on one side to follow the action of wheel on other side...

Silly as it sounds, a anti-sway bar on rear will effect how front wheels stay planted, and front sway bar effects how rear wheels stay planted....

Anchoring bar in middle is same as leaving fill spring pack in tube, only stiffer, it is 100% opposite what you re trying to do....

Suggest you read up on chassis/suspension dynamics before you move forward, there is a science to all this...

Some reading may be..."Chassis Engineering" by Herb Adams, HP Books...

Dale

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following the progression of this topic.. and have a stupid question: if you take the grub screw out from one of the tubes in the middle, top or bottom, would that also allow the spring stack to "float" just as if you replaced it with a swaybar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for all the responses. I ordered an adjustable beam, and I'll take out a couple leaves and tack weld them back then use the adjusters.

Has anyone used these for the rear?
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rear-Torsion-Bar-Adjuster-Stock-Torsion-Housings-p/6596.htm

they are pricey, not in the budget right now, but look interesting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: