Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drftsub's 85 Westy build, Subaru Turbo Drivetrain / air ride
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't expect to like an air-bagged Westy - but you sir have changed my mind. Exclamation Great job by you, your wife and friends. I'd be very impressed even without that time line. With it, well = just flat out amazed.

Also, the idea to lower a Westy for highway crusin and then put it back up to normal height once reaching a national park or a dirt road is very appealing.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
drftsub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was a blur of 3 weeks thats for darn sure!

I am working on getting all the info together for the suspension thread, I am doing some minor adjustments so once thats all buttoned up I will get it up here.

The air ride has proven to be handy for not only for keeping it low on the highway ( not really sure if thats helping aero or not considering the brick like shape haha ) but I also found it very handy to level the van when we were sleeping!
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drftsub wrote:

The air ride has proven to be handy for not only for keeping it low on the highway ( not really sure if thats helping aero or not considering the brick like shape haha ) but I also found it very handy to level the van when we were sleeping!

d'oh! That's genius! An unintended benefit!

Quick question - I'm an air suspension newbie. Do you align it for highway height mode, and is there a height indicator of some sort, or just pressure?
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drftsub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greggearhead wrote:

Quick question - I'm an air suspension newbie. Do you align it for highway height mode, and is there a height indicator of some sort, or just pressure?

Yes align it for the height you will be at most, and then deviations from that are typically short enough that its not a major issue.

For setting the height, you can do this 3 ways:
Set the height based on "feel" - this is only as good as your internal level. A friend of mine who has owned more air ride vehicles than I can recall is very good at this, most are not.

Set the height based on pressure - This requires pressure gauges and for you to know what pressure = what height, and gets complex as you add weight etc.

Using an air management control system - This is the best, and also the most $$ . These typically have multiple height settings, but will retain the height you want regardless of load etc, and can still be manually overridden for things like leveling the van for sleeping.
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patiently waiting for the write up on the air ride.....

Been contemplating air ride, but haven't found a good write up on install. I have never had a lifted vehicle, plenty of springs/coilovers/air shocks but never full air ride.

The rear is a no brainer but to get a parts list would be awesome.....I am curious about the front shock relocation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are crazy... Smile But I like it!!!

I'm curious about the exhaust system.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drftsub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
You are crazy... Smile But I like it!!!

I'm curious about the exhaust system.

Ben

Haha, not the first time I have heard that statement. Usually its from my wife after I have described some build I want to do.

The exhaust will get some small re-routing as it sits pretty low when the van is aired out all the way. But basically its a custom fabbed bell mouth off the turbo to 3" piping, then does a large U turn under the axle, around the valve cover to the longest Magnaflow muffler I could find. This has one flex joint before the muffler as it is mounted to the body. The system is all sealed via V Band clamps for easy on/off should the need arise.

vw4life wrote:
Patiently waiting for the write up on the air ride.....

Been contemplating air ride, but haven't found a good write up on install. I have never had a lifted vehicle, plenty of springs/coilovers/air shocks but never full air ride.

The rear is a no brainer but to get a parts list would be awesome.....I am curious about the front shock relocation

Ben

Write up is in the works, work has been hectic lately and I have not gotten time to dig under the van for more pics etc.

Most of my vehicles run a coilover/ race setup of some sort, air ride is its own animal thats for sure!
vanaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: muffler Reply with quote

"This has one flex joint before the muffler as it is mounted to the body..."

really? the amount of movement my wrx van install has under load would break that flex joint in a matter of weeks...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drftsub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: muffler Reply with quote

vanaru wrote:

really? the amount of movement my wrx van install has under load would break that flex joint in a matter of weeks...

What mount system are you using? My setup consists of a RMW mount that uses the factory subaru mount points and subaru group N rally engine mounts.

I have very little flex during idle or load with this.

My exhaust has a 6" long flex joint and the muffler is rubber isolated to the body to allow some movement if needed as well.
vanaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: muffler Reply with quote

drftsub wrote:
vanaru wrote:

What mount system are you using? My setup consists of a RMW mount that uses the factory subaru mount points and subaru group N rally engine mounts.

I have very little flex during idle or load with this.

My exhaust has a 6" long flex joint and the muffler is rubber isolated to the body to allow some movement if needed as well.

OK. mounted to the body via rubber hangers?...now that make sense. I took "mounted to the body" above literally.

My motor is mounted via a small car mount...exhaust is a modified SmallCar header(flex joint at the crossover) with a custom down pipe to cat into a porsche 911 muffler mounted to the engine. It all moves with the engine. I do go through front mounts often. they end up moving way too much, so I'm looking to make a stiffer front mount.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any info on the air ride?
mccabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! I'm excited to see more about the air ride set up.
PAULPIERCEFAN34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on the air ride install?
svswan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like you've been real busy. Hopefully it's not frustrating to get another request for updates. I've been checking out Air Ride, Ride Tech and Accuair and would would love to know what Slam Specialties air bags (part numbers) you used and how they effected the ride of the vanagon. I'm thinking bagin' it would be better than lowering springs, plus allow me to air up on the occasional dirt road or scary parking lot entrance. Seems like lowering springs makes the ride harsh, or the wrong air bags...

Happy Trails and thanks for the write up so far ;-}
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7682086#7682086
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to steal the op's thread....Ive been running manual valves, 2 dual needles ,1/4 line 5gal or 2 3gal tanks with dual comps on several rigs ive built and have recently switched to the AirLift V2. Simple plug n play system with air up/key on capability and 8 preset hights. Both options work well with 2500 series non conveluted bags on trucks and suburbans, similar weight of a loaded vanagon. I have run 1/2 lines and they are too quick in my opinion for a daily.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: