Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towing Tow'd for first time... any tips?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
intofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Towing Tow'd for first time... any tips? Reply with quote

Title says it. Getting a trailer hitch tomorrow morning so I will be in business by early afternoon. Obviously, I have the tow bar. I assume I put the tow'd in neutral (parking brake off) and I'm in business? Do you carry a jack to get the tow bar up over the hitch or do I need to get a lower hitch arm? I've towed a trailer before but never a car with 4 wheels on the ground. (EDIT- looks like the proper way to tow a tow'd is with the front wheels in the air). Previous owner gave me chains as well. Best place to hook up to the car? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by intofx on Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing is to unscrew the zirc fittings on the lower beam.

There should be some steel eyes on either side of your tow hitch receiver which are where you want to connect the hooks of the chain. I drape the chain over the top of the bar where it makes a Y then take each end of the chain and bring them back through the Y from underneath and then forward to the eyes where they hook. Don't let the chain drag, twist them until they clear the ground but you still have enough slack to make a turn. If you have a pair of safety chains you might want to use the second one to secure the tow bar to the buggy's beam.

If your tow bar has pins which are locked in with clips like this, those clips have a habit of coming out. I'd safety wire them so they won't open.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a locking steering colum, the key has to be cycled and in the off position. Also, you can't back up with a tow bar. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have towed my buggy many times. I back the tow vehicle up in line until it is about 6 feet away. Put the towbar on the buggy and get a helper to lift the towbar as I push and steer the buggy to line up the hitch. Done.

My 1988 Jetta diesel with 300,000 plus miles towed the buggy at 60 mph no problem. You can easily forget you are towing a buggy.

Always double check your connections and check lights. By pushing the buggy forward I know it is in neutral. You have to plan your parking on your trip so you can drive in and drive out.

Last edited by tgodber on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget towing lights or wire into the buggy lights.
grinNbarritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If It's a Tow'd it's got the tow bar in the sterring colum support bar right??
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others say, trans in neutral, e-brake off, steering column unlocked, tow bar should pivot on beam and jack is unecessary , usually a standard hitch/drawbar that puts ball 14-17 inches off ground is ok...Hitch to low will drag towbar on ground going in/out of driveways or over speed bumps... If any portion of towbar is below connection points it may be to low...

Zerk fittings may be issue... Check them closevas you connect towbar...

Just do not get into situation where you have to back up....Park way out in corner of lot(s) where you can always pull straight out...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grinNbarritt wrote:

If it has not been lost or forgotten some place, but poster indicates 4 wheels on ground...

If one uses built in towbar (front wheels off ground), its same as any two wheel trailer tow....

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
grinNbarritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen a tow'd gettin towed. Didn't know it lifted ft off ground.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grinNbarritt wrote:
Never seen a tow'd gettin towed. Didn't know it lifted ft off ground.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tow'd get it?, not Toad....

Dale

Ed Chenal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In California, you need two safety chains. They should connect from the tow vehicle to the vehicle being towed. I put mine through the anchors on the receiver and around the front beam of my buggy. I adjust the chains so there is sufficient slack for turning corners then I use a bungee cord to lift the drooping chain up against the bottom of the tow bar.

You'll get a smoother ride if your tow bar is level rather than angled up or down. Use a hitch that places the bottom of your ball about 15 inches off the ground and you should be good to go.

If you hit a dip or go over a bump too fast it may dislodge the clips that hold the tow bar pins in place. Some folks use bolts and nuts instead. When I flat tow, I do a safety check every time I stop for a break, gas or food.
intofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the pic, I was wrong about flat towing. Looks like I need to figure out how to get the front in the air. Where are you guys jacking your tow'ds?

Matt
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too heavy, I'g guess it would be a pretty easy lift due to the length of the tow bar. Do you have that style of tow bar?. Got any photos? A standard tow bar can be used too, then it's 4 tires on the road.

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go ahead and flat tow it.
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gr8cobbler wrote:
Got any photos? .

http://turnkeymanx.com/?product=meyers-towd-tow-bar
intofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grinNbarritt wrote:

Yes, of course. I also have the original bar.

Matt
intofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I took a test run around the block. I had to jack the tow'd up to get the receiver high enough for the hitch. Way to heavy to lift on my own. I will have to either flip the current hitch arm or get a new one as it isn't quite high enough and the front tires occasionally touch the ground depending on the angle of the road. I guess the other option would be to drill a new hole in the tow'd tow bar a little further down. That would shorten the amount of exposed pole and raise the receiver a bit. Thoughts?

TIA,
Matt
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of suggestions. I have a Sand Hopper, which is a very close cousin to the Tow'd. It has the same type of pull out coupling that you have. On mine, I found that on the ball mount, a two inch drop, reversed, worked about the best. I also have a taller than normal ball. Good height, manageable lift (at least for my truck). But while it all looks very straightforward and simple, you'll notice that the angle on the coupling is less than ideal, and under some conditions, like potholes, speed bumps, and my driveway, the coupling can get in a bind on the ball. Now I don't know how other Tow'd and Sand Hopper owners deal with it. Maybe they ignore the misalignment and find they have no problems. I wasn't satisfied with that and heated my hitch, then bent it to get a near-perfect, 90 degree alignment with the coupling. Haven't had it bind yet, at least not noticeably. Of course that hitch is now no good for use with a normal trailer. Also, FYI, mine puts right at 170 pounds on the hitch.

And you mention it being necessary to jack up the Tow'd to hook up the hitch. I did that until I took an 18" length of chain, ran it through a 8" length of thinwall and put a hook on each end. Now I have a temporary handle to hook to the coupling that allows me to straddle it, keep my back straight, lift with my knees, and drop it on the ball. Not easy at my age, but doable. Bending over and trying to lift 170 pounds with the back......... can't do it......don't recommend trying it.
intofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

late-show wrote:
Couple of suggestions. I have a Sand Hopper, which is a very close cousin to the Tow'd. It has the same type of pull out coupling that you have. On mine, I found that on the ball mount, a two inch drop, reversed, worked about the best. I also have a taller than normal ball. Good height, manageable lift (at least for my truck). But while it all looks very straightforward and simple, you'll notice that the angle on the coupling is less than ideal, and under some conditions, like potholes, speed bumps, and my driveway, the coupling can get in a bind on the ball. Now I don't know how other Tow'd and Sand Hopper owners deal with it. Maybe they ignore the misalignment and find they have no problems. I wasn't satisfied with that and heated my hitch, then bent it to get a near-perfect, 90 degree alignment with the coupling. Haven't had it bind yet, at least not noticeably. Of course that hitch is now no good for use with a normal trailer. Also, FYI, mine puts right at 170 pounds on the hitch.

And you mention it being necessary to jack up the Tow'd to hook up the hitch. I did that until I took an 18" length of chain, ran it through a 8" length of thinwall and put a hook on each end. Now I have a temporary handle to hook to the coupling that allows me to straddle it, keep my back straight, lift with my knees, and drop it on the ball. Not easy at my age, but doable. Bending over and trying to lift 170 pounds with the back......... can't do it......don't recommend trying it.

All good suggestions! But, why not bend the tow arm and not the hitch? Also, what is "thinwall?"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: