Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 parts on 412?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yooyenkoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: 914 parts on 412? Reply with quote

I'm getting 2 1974 412 station wagons and was trying to find out if parts from a 914 will fit onto the 412.

I've been trying to look it up on google but all I see is people asking I Porsche parts were made by Volkswagen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be specific about what parts are you asking about. Numerous small electricals like some relays etc fit both.

The front calipers and rotors for 411 through 8-72 fit 914 through 8-72. The calipers and rotors FROM 8-72 onwards fit 412 and 914 FROM 8-72 onwards.

The entire engine assembly from any year of 914 can fit into any year of 411/412 because the engine "type" or class....which is type 4....originated in the 411 in 1968 and only went into the 914 in 1970.

That being said.....the 1.7l engine is in fact 100% identical in 411/412/914 (built on the same assembly line) except for details like different heat exchangers on the 914. The flywheel is different for 914. It can be made to work in 411/412 but its not worth the effort.

Outside of these main details....there is not much that crosses over. And yes...the 914 was completely manufactured by VW.

So....are you hacking up a 411/412 to fix a 914 (which is a waste in my opinion even though 914 is really cool.....much more 914 in existence).....or are you scavenging 914 parts to fix your 411/412?

Oh...by the way fuel injection parts will pretty much universally cross over between 411/412 and 914.
The sad part is sometimes in the case of D-jet its hard to identify parts becuse Porsche was stupid enough to stamp their parts with Porsche only #s in many cases....whereas a lot of the vw parts had vw and Bosch #s. In some later deplacement parts you can find both Porwche and Bosch #s. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yooyenkoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at fixing up at least one of the 2 412s and if possible make a road course cars as the other and looking at installing porshe parts onto them if not obtainable vw 412 parts are availible.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yooyenkoo wrote:
I'm looking at fixing up at least one of the 2 412s and if possible make a road course cars as the other and looking at installing porshe parts onto them if not obtainable vw 412 parts are availible.

Cool! There is a long thread over in the STF's 411/412 forums about a guy from Holland who did his from the ground up. I spend time over there as well.

For suspension....neither Porsche or VW has anything that fits the 412 for racing....but the Audi cartridge mod is very close. Also Bill Ks version may get you a little lower.
We have track quality answers for most of the rest of the suspension parts.....rebuilt centerlinks with bronze, delrin control arm bushings, castor angle adjustment, stress bar in front, improved radius arm bushings, dual sway bars in the rear, gas shocks rear....slight adjustable lowering mod in rear, urethane and teflon control arm bushings front and rear....improvements to factory ball joints (they are all that fit and hard to find right now....I should have the new replacement boots cast soon....and working on a better replacement joint as well.)
Lots that can be done.....but the 411/412 suspension is, pretty different than anything. Be ready for light fqbrication. Let me know if I can help. Im not very far from you. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yooyenkoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it shouldn't be to bad (except for the ball joints ATM) obtain parts and get those 2 running. If i have any questions for you I'll be sure to ask.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 914 parts on 412? Reply with quote

Yooyenkoo wrote:
I'm getting 2 1974 412 station wagons and was trying to find out if parts from a 914 will fit onto the 412.

I've been trying to look it up on google but all I see is people asking I Porsche parts were made by Volkswagen.

In addition to what Ray wrote I can only add that some of the dash board switches and blinker/wiper switch will cross over and the 914/4 was manufactured and assembled at the Karmann factory to VW spec's (and the 914/6 was assembled with bodies made at Karmann at the Porsche plant to their own spec).

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yooyenkoo wrote:
Sounds like it shouldn't be to bad (except for the ball joints ATM) obtain parts and get those 2 running. If i have any questions for you I'll be sure to ask.

Speaking of ball joints.....and I have been meaning to post this for a while.
For those of us using the modification to extend life of the joints.....of putting thin gaskets between the ball joint and steering knuckle, and between steering knuckle and strut housing.......to seal the chamber in the top of the joint so you can add a grease fitting an fluwh the joint on a regular basis.......which is awesome......you also need to know this:

The factory grease is a high metal content extreme pressure grease very much like a thickened CV joint grease. I have sectioned an older failed joint. The reason you must have a high metal EP grease because the lower race or glide section for the ball stud is bare, polished hardened steel....unlike say....a tie rod end and some other ball joints that use (from the top down).....upper steel cap, tension spring, upper nylon ball cup or cap, ball stud, lower nylon cup, outer steel case.

The type r joint has all of that but no lower nylon wear cup.

So if you regrease these joints....which can make them last for ages.....but you use non metal fortified grease.....you may eventually start to experience galling between the ball stud and lower steel case rim. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: