Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need advice on selling my '67
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skabonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Need advice on selling my '67 Reply with quote

So I've had this beetle for a few years and now its time to move on, as much as it pains me. The thing is I am not getting very many bites, and its been up for a few months. So I thought I would ask you guys, am I ask too much, and should I do something to it to make it more desirable? I.e. Lower it, patina it, etc.

I bought it for $4250 a few years back, and it seems that beetle values have gone up, plus I've put about $4000 into it, plus all my time. Not that I'm expecting to get all that back, I'd just like to think I've increased the value.

P.s. I've also tried cl, ebay, and have taken it to one or two shows around here in so cal.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1684015

'68 Beetle "Sadie" (R.I.P.)
'67 Beetle "Ilsa"
'06 Gti "Heidi"
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking car, I'm surprised you haven't gotten any bites at 5K. If I was in the market it would make the short list.

Please don't 'patina' that car. There's enough rusty pieces of crap around already.

Maybe autotrader? or whatever they call the version for older cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skabonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb_foots wrote:
Nice looking car, I'm surprised you haven't gotten any bites at 5K. If I was in the market it would make the short list.

Please don't 'patina' that car. There's enough rusty pieces of crap around already.

Maybe autotrader? or whatever they call the version for older cars.

Lol, I just don't know what's left to do. I keep getting low ball offers.

'67 Beetle "Ilsa"
'06 Gti "Heidi"
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whatever it takes, put 5 lug wheels on it and over-rider bumpers- those are two of the core essences of '67 beetles (rims are $10 each anywhere). White paint is a hard sell on that car without a sunroof- because of course, sunroof cars sell in any color- nothing to do there. Ditch the 80s-ish chrome thingies on the engine- especially the coiled wire and air cleaner- cause it looks like kids have been playing in there in today's terms ($20 max anywhere for an air-cleaner). Plan on $4000 once those items are addressed- because lest we forget- you are still in California- where that car is duplicated all over town for $3500. I'm being honest here.

I don't think playing the R.K. Smith card is helping that car. He's into the entire custom car scene, not just VWs- and everyone knows it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not get the 4 bolt on the wide five car especially a 67. Agree with the over riders. Ad them back.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
skabonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
So whatever it takes, put 5 lug wheels on it and over-rider bumpers- those are two of the core essences of '67 beetles (rims are $10 each anywhere). White paint is a hard sell on that car without a sunroof- because of course, sunroof cars sell in any color- nothing to do there. Ditch the 80s-ish chrome thingies on the engine- especially the coiled wire and air cleaner- cause it looks like kids have been playing in there in today's terms ($20 max anywhere for an air-cleaner). Plan on $4000 once those items are addressed- because lest we forget- you are still in California- where that car is duplicated all over town for $3500. I'm being honest here.

I don't think playing the R.K. Smith card is helping that car. He's into the entire custom car scene, not just VWs- and everyone knows it.

Hmm, I can deal with some of that. I can definitely clean up the engine bay, and put over riders on it. 5 lug is a little trickier, as I have discs up front, and as far as I know it would be much more complicated then buying new rotors, and wheels, but something to think about. I wasn't really trying to play off his card, I just thought it was interesting history, you know?

'67 Beetle "Ilsa"
'06 Gti "Heidi"
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skabonner wrote:
The thing is I am not getting very many bites, and its been up for a few months. So I thought I would ask you guys, am I ask too much, and should I do something to it to make it more desirable? I.e. Lower it, patina it, etc.

skabonner wrote:

It'a a mix of the car and the ad, but mostly the ad I bet. The few bites and lowball offers are related.

Do you want some feedback on the ad? (Serious question, some people just want sympathy and get pretty upset if you critique their work. Wink )
skabonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:
skabonner wrote:
The thing is I am not getting very many bites, and its been up for a few months. So I thought I would ask you guys, am I ask too much, and should I do something to it to make it more desirable? I.e. Lower it, patina it, etc.

skabonner wrote:

It'a a mix of the car and the ad, but mostly the ad I bet. The few bites and lowball offers are related.

Do you want some feedback on the ad? (Serious question, some people just want sympathy and get pretty upset if you critique their work. Wink )

Lol, I get you. I would love some feedback on the ad. I'm in college, and this is the first time I've had to sell a car, so be a bit harsh, I don't mind.

'67 Beetle "Ilsa"
'06 Gti "Heidi"
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in California I would imagine the VW Beetle market would be fairly competitive.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice car. Being from the east coast, I would think you'd have little problem getting $5K for it, but I guess it could be that in California, there are simply more good examples to choose from.

As others stated, if I was in the market (and not all the way over here in NJ!!) I'd consider it seriously for $5K.

Good luck. I hope you get your price.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an old guy I interpret " fun to drive " and " racey " as some kid has been hotrodding this.....Take the Fin off . Another " race car driver " indicator

67 is a unique year for the restoration buff...If I want a hotrod There are many others out there

NOTE ; there are more " old guys " with $5000 for a toy than college kids Razz

My 2 cents

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
As an old guy I interpret " fun to drive " and " racey " as some kid has been hotrodding this.....Take the Fin off . Another " race car driver " indicator

Good point!

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplify the text in your ad..it doesn't matter that its owned by a mechanic or was owned by an ex hot vw's writer..eliminate all the negative stuff too,you want to draw a buyer in,not chase him away...so stuff like "its a 10 ft car" needs to go...same with the overheat tag...now he thinks it might run hot..just go simple and positive with the text... once you have someone looking at it,roll out the hot vw's/mechanic angle,that kinda stuff can close a deal once the fish is on the line..but do it verbally when the fish is gazing at the car with that glazed donut look on his face
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Ditch the 80s-ish chrome thingies on the engine- especially the coiled wire

I don't get the coiled condenser wire thing... if it's too long cut and crimp on a new connector... Rolling Eyes

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the dash being cut doesn't help. If you're selling it though it's probably not worth fixing at this point.
skabonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
hitest wrote:
Ditch the 80s-ish chrome thingies on the engine- especially the coiled wire

I don't get the coiled condenser wire thing... if it's too long cut and crimp on a new connector... Rolling Eyes

Lol, something my dad does, I guess I picked it up from him.

6Kabrio7 wrote:
I'm sure the dash being cut doesn't help. If you're selling it though it's probably not worth fixing at this point

Yeah, I've got the piece to fix it, I just don't want to go through the hassle. I bought this when I was just out of high school, and a bit more impatient than I am now, so I didn't mind the dash.

I'm am gonna fix the things I can and update the ad in the next couple of days. Thanks for all the suggestions guys this has been very helpful. Keep the suggestions coming, the more the better.

'67 Beetle "Ilsa"
'06 Gti "Heidi"
9pin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the others, I would definitely bite if it had nice stock wheels and a more stock-looking engine. Lose the rear fin for sure, but I don't mind the euro bumpers and fog lamps. I think that adds just enough old-world, tasteful uniqueness.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't that a Herrod helper wing?

I might remove it, but keep it in the trunk. IIRC, they actually work to improve aerodynamics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my $.02...

Wheels make the car. I understand you have front disc brakes which changes the rims to 4-lug. Maybe put some Empi 4-lug sprints on the car (the aftermarket aluminum ones). If your rear drums are 4-lug too, you're all set. If not, converting the rear drums to 4 lug is simple.

You might have to drop about $400 in the new rims, but re-use your tires and it will make a big difference in the appearance.

FWIW, your price seems decent to me.
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skabonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb_foots wrote:
isn't that a Herrod helper wing?

I might remove it, but keep it in the trunk. IIRC, they actually work to improve aerodynamics.

Yep, I guess I will just sell that one by itself. Its original though, found it in a pick a part for $10

I will have to consider new rims. As much as I love those Dan gurneys, I know they aren't everyones cup a tea, and they are a bit worn out. Probably end up going with the sprints, though they are making repro cosmics now.

'67 Beetle "Ilsa"
'06 Gti "Heidi"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: