Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Beetle Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, does your "unusual" shifter look like this one?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If so, it's from a Ghia. It is bent more at the bottom than a Beetle to bring the shift knob down lower, since the driver sits lower than a Beetle. The photo also shows the correct original shift knob, which if yours has it, KEEP it- they are hard to find used.

Anthracite is a bitchin' color. My 2nd Beetle (in '75) was that color, but when I fixed it up I chose a bright blue (1975 Audi Miami Blue) to paint it. My dad bought R-M acrylic enamel and the other ingredients, we rented a 20-gal. air compressor and spray gun, and I sprayed the car myself in the driveway. If I had a similar car nowadays I'd definitely keep it anthracite.

How about fitting the restored body to an IRS chassis, but use '72 stock 4-bolt wheels painted in two-tone black and cream? At first glance the car would look "reasonably" stock, but you have the basis for upgraded brakes, swaybars, and a mild engine...

Or if you continue with your original chassis restoration, how about building up the 40hp engine to a vintage speed theme? 83mm big bore for 1385cc, very mild cam, dual single-throat carbs? You can also fit the 83mm BB cylinders into uncut 1300 heads, enabling direct fitment of single-port dual carbs like Weber 34ICT.
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome,
The shaft on your shifter looks a bit different than mine, I think. I'll snap a picture of mine in the next day or so and post it up.

The knob on mine is definitely different and is kind of egg shaped.
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pics of the shifter that was in my car when I bought it. Kind of looks like the Ghia shifter pictured above but I think the shaft may be smaller in size.

Plus the knob is unlike any that I've seen in a VW, but I suppose a knob could have been added at anytime over its history.

Did dealers install Ghia shifters as part of some sort of option package???
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
painter33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
YES !! seat belts !!
I have read that 62 was first year for seat belts ;
Enjoy working on this with your boys ; They will remember it forever . Wink

Maybe not for the seat belts but for the mounting locations. My '62 came with threaded receptacles for seat belt mounting studs but it did not have factory installed seat belts. I had to do that - took about 15 minutes at most to do both sides.
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

painter33 wrote:
grandpa pete wrote:
YES !! seat belts !!
I have read that 62 was first year for seat belts ;
Enjoy working on this with your boys ; They will remember it forever . Wink

Maybe not for the seat belts but for the mounting locations. My '62 came with threaded receptacles for seat belt mounting studs but it did not have factory installed seat belts. I had to do that - took about 15 minutes at most to do both sides.

The two early cars that I've owned had seat belts, but didn't have them mounted in this location. That, and that size of those plastic screws had me doubting. The mounting holes in the seat belts that I've seen are much smaller than the size of the holes that these plastic caps use.
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: 62 VW Beetle Project Reply with quote

Continuing to make progress as time permits. With the Thanksgiving Day game between the Lions and Bears on the TV, I removed the rear brakes, parking brake assembly, the gearbox, axles, etc.

52 years of southern clay, dirt and grime makes the disassembly a tedious job. Scrape a layer of crud off, remove a nut. Repeat. After a pile of dirt gets cleaned up, do the other side. Laughing

Anyway, a little cleaner, and lighter.

Going to remove the spring plates and torsion bars tomorrow. Then the front beam. Then some cleaning, and we'll get the pan halves welded in. Cool
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
jensenflagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the seat belt bolts, you can buy a thread adapter/ plug for the tunnel holes but really need to weld in bolts on the outside for effective belts. I went through that decision. Wonder why VW did not provide good connection for the outer belts.

Good Luck, you're saving a ton doing it yourself.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consider going to a 67+ dual master cylinder...much safer

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604177&highlight=upgrade

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
consider going to a 67+ dual master cylinder...much safer

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604177&highlight=upgrade

Yep, planning for this. Actually what I'm going to try and do is locate an OE master cylinder for a late model Ghia, which would have had disc brakes. I am planning to upgrade to front disc brakes and would like to use the correct MC.

Not sure if there is a real difference between the late model beetle piece and a Ghia piece, but I assume they're different due to drum vs. disc brakes.
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
Chuck Fryer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the latest on the car? Hope you are having fun with it!
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Fryer wrote:
What is the latest on the car? Hope you are having fun with it!

Sadly, idled. Other things keeping me busy and the "wishbone" is sitting on jack stands waiting for the new pan halves to be welded in. Besides, its below 30 degrees in the garage, and who wants to work in that cold! Laughing
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
Chuck Fryer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that! I guess i was just hoping you had a heated garage. I only have a trans swap to get done and have not even started.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great project, I plan on following yours to the end. Have you decided on which way your going to rebuild? Racer, stock, mild custom, etc?
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Looks like a great project, I plan on following yours to the end. Have you decided on which way your going to rebuild? Racer, stock, mild custom, etc?

I think so. I'm not doing a stock rebuild (sorry to the purists in the group). Probably going to make it a Cal-Look street/strip car. All steel, body trim, pop-outs, etc. But it will get a cage and other safety items, upgraded brakes, and a stout 2332 with 51.5 IDA's. Still thinking of polished Centerlines all around.

Wouldn't mind trying a build with Fuchs, so we'll see.
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Project Reply with quote

So time flies... Life's been busy and this project has been idled for the past couple of years so we could focus on a new house, growing family, etc. With a new "car barn" built and it's interior just about complete, I'm sorting through my two winter projects for the coming winter.

My '62 Beetle will finally get some attention. Here are a few pics of its current state. The body is off the pan and on a rolling cart.

My plan is to have most of the body work and paint outsourced to a local VW restorer that did my 63 Single Cab. The rest (mechanicals, assembly) is on me. Over this coming winter I plan to weld in the pan halves, repair the hole in the tunnel, add larger, solid tube fuel lines in the tunnel, black powder coating and complete the pan assembly with suspension.

Will be installing my Folts-built gearbox, CB front beam, both from my previous build, new suspension pieces, bushings and such throughout, new front disc brakes on rebuilt spindles, and a dual master cylinder. Then I'll bolt on a set of genuine wide-5 Centerlines to make it a roller!
Cool
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Project Reply with quote

Its been quite a while (sadly) since I last posted an update. Focus shifted away from the Beetle project to get my '63 Single Cab back up and running, and a new addition to my VW family; a '69 Beetle Convertible. With the Single Cab and Vert all running and driving, we're waiting patiently for favorable spring weather here in NE Wisconsin. Over the winter months I've been getting some shop time for my '62 Beetle again.

Update #1, I decided to replace the body. The time and expense that would have been required to repair the existing body just wasn't cost justified. I sold the body and purchased a replacement '62 body. I pick it up this coming weekend. Pics to follow.

Update #2, the pan work has been moving right along. I will post up some pics, but the halves are welded in place, its painted, the front beam is on and more.

Update #3, getting my gearbox ready for an install into the pan.

I'll try to provide move updates throughout this year as I build my new street/strip car.
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Project Reply with quote

So over the winter I stripped down the pan, and added replacement pan halves. These are older, quality pans that I picked up some years ago. I believe they were made in Denmark. Regardless, they are same thickness as the original pans.

After I welded the pans in place I used Eastwood's seam sealer to seal the seam top and bottom before the paint went on.

I am using a quality satin black paint for the pan and suspension pieces.

As part of this build I'm planning to install front disc brakes and opted for a new Varga (TRW) dual mastercylinder, which is mounted up in this pic below:

In this pic you can also see that I've reinstalled the shift rod in the tunnel and was test-fitting my Berg short-throw shifter (Original Owner since I don't know when...).

More pics later.
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Project Reply with quote

Great work.
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Project Reply with quote

So for the past few months I've been working on my project street/strip build. I took the gearbox and shimmed up the diff using a Berg Poor Man's posi kit. Back when the gearbox was in my prior car I would often do peg-leg burn outs (would launch OK with dual matching skids) so I knew it was shimmed a little loose. Here's a pic of the gearbox.

It was built by Dave Folts and features ERCO gears (4.25/2.46/1.70/1.31) through a 3.885 R&P, dual HD covers, ERCO dual snap ring Super Diff and the Rhino case. Axles are genuine Sway-a-way Race Axles.
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Beetle Project Reply with quote

Next up I bolted up a CB Performance Adjustable Beam. I've decided to upgrade to front disc brakes and picked this Empi set up. They're heavy, and I've read some people have had trouble getting pedal with them, but for now I'm going to give them a shot. I may upgrade to something else later.

This pic shows the gearbox mounted up, Truss Bar and shifter all installed.

1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers

Last edited by wardvwracer on Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: