Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel line mount/ bracket
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Fuel line mount/ bracket Reply with quote

Im dropping the engine in next week and want to make sure the fuel line is properly mounted. I see under the tank there are some original brackets, does the rubber line just clamp into those? I fear they will dig in a bit?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wrenchnride247
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there should be a metal line running through those mounting points. I know its way different on my SC due to tank location, but It had a metal line running above the trans to the firewall.

'62 SC 69x90.5 SP TI
'70 T1 84x105 DP T4
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original was just braided line suspended there but not crimped to beat hell. Maybe some even had a thin anti-chaff rubber skin for the hose to lay against but if so they have been long gone on any of my watches. If they been opened and close a bunch it will just break off so I always feed the hose through and not spread or squeeze it. It's the same doohickey that is on the engine shroud to hold the harness. With that bulletproof hose you show I'd just put it through there. The hose gripper looks kinda wasted so make sure it's still good. You could make a new one and paste it up there with a weld.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 what BarryL said. Rubber hose thru those clips.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the braided fuel line hold up ok in these clips or does it chafe it? I'm about to install mine and the clips look ok but I was thinking maybe I should try to put something between the metal and the fuel line to protect it.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never replaced one that looked chafed or damaged from the clips at all. It doesn't really move. But a little strip of inner tube or such wouldn't hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, another PO mod on my bus I just learned about... On my bus, I have a small piece of fuel line coming out of the tap to a hard line (like wrenchnride247 mentioned) across the transmission and down and pointed towards the rear where another fuel line connects to the hard line through the tin...

The metal fuel line is held up in those clips, and when I replaced the fuel hose I put some hose around the line so the clips didn't rub through the metal.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some new OG cloth fuel line from WW, when you guys say braided is that the type you are referring, or the metal braided stuff? I have 1/4" fuel injection line I want to run as much of that as possibly. OD is a little larger I think, so that's my concern with the original metal clips under the tank. I just wanted good quality hose in there since it's the least accessible area. I'll play with it a bit more, maybe find some large clips to screw or weld on under the tank? (The tank doesnt have fuel yet)

I do like the idea of having a couple inches of rubber hose and running a metal line under the tank like mentioned. Seems clean and safe... But may also require a couple more hose clamps.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
I have some new OG cloth fuel line from WW, when you guys say braided is that the type you are referring, or the metal braided stuff? I have 1/4" fuel injection line I want to run as much of that as possibly. OD is a little larger I think, so that's my concern with the original metal clips under the tank. I just wanted good quality hose in there since it's the least accessible area. I'll play with it a bit more, maybe find some large clips to screw or weld on under the tank? (The tank doesnt have fuel yet)

I do like the idea of having a couple inches of rubber hose and running a metal line under the tank like mentioned. Seems clean and safe... But may also require a couple more hose clamps.

Yes, they are referring to the cloth braided German fuel line (I believe).

OG fuel line is 5.6mm IIRC, 1/4" is slightly bigger than stock.

While I also like the idea of the hard line, like you mentioned, it means more connections and possible points of failure.

There is a thread about fuel line on here with really good info on fuel lines available. I'll try and find it and edit this post...

Here's one of the fuel line posts that might help you decide...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593010

Sorry, had forgot to post the link...

Last edited by otis_bartleh on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:

Yes, they are referring to the cloth braided German fuel line (I believe).

+1
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience, for what it's worth.

I bought OG German woven fuel line from WW and installed it on my 67 deluxe. It lasted ~2 years before it began to crack and leak, and the leaks were not at the clamps, but midway along a long, gentle curve in the hose. The areas where clamps were present offered no problems whatsoever. I do not see a hose/clamp connection on a metal line as a weak link if it is done properly and not subject to extreme flexing.

I have since replaced the majority of it with metal line running from the tank and into the engine bay, using flex hose and clamps only for connections to the tank, the fuel filter, to the fuel pump, and to the carb. I split some old flex hose and slipped it around the metal tube to act as buffers as it passed through the metal clips and to hold it securely.

I had heard stories about the short life of woven line and I can verify it is true. I plan to replace all flex line remaining with line that is more robust and resistant to cracking.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olliehank47 wrote:
I plan to replace all flex line remaining with line that is more robust and resistant to cracking.

As my braided crap takes a dive over the years I've been switching to this http://www.new-part.com/product/fuel-hose-55mm-id-x-30-smooth-5-meter-roll-crp-brand-new until someone starts making a more bullet-proof braided hose.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olliehank47 wrote:
... and the leaks were not at the clamps, but midway along a long, gentle curve in the hose.

That's what I was wondering about being possible, guess it is...

Quote:
The areas where clamps were present offered no problems whatsoever. I do not see a hose/clamp connection on a metal line as a weak link if it is done properly and not subject to extreme flexing.

I have since replaced the majority of it with metal line running from the tank and into the engine bay, using flex hose and clamps only for connections to the tank, the fuel filter, to the fuel pump, and to the carb. I split some old flex hose and slipped it around the metal tube to act as buffers as it passed through the metal clips and to hold it securely.

I have the same setup, and have had no problems with it, and plan to keep it like this instead of going to a long soft fuel line.

Quote:
I had heard stories about the short life of woven line and I can verify it is true. I plan to replace all flex line remaining with line that is more robust and resistant to cracking.

Same here, more bad experiences than good with the German cloth braided. I've replaced some in a pinch with good 1/4" line from my FLAPS, and use the fuel injection style clamps instead of the worm drive clamps on all connections. Going to replace it all with some good stuff from the thread I linked above as it goes bad, or hopefully beforehand...
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olliehank47 wrote:
My experience, for what it's worth.

I bought OG German woven fuel line from WW and installed it on my 67 deluxe. It lasted ~2 years before it began to crack and leak, and the leaks were not at the clamps, but midway along a long, gentle curve in the hose. The areas where clamps were present offered no problems whatsoever. I do not see a hose/clamp connection on a metal line as a weak link if it is done properly and not subject to extreme flexing.

Did you just buy some straight metal fuel line somewhere? Or a section like this and bend/ cut it to fit?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113127521A
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: