Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anti-seize on suspension bolts
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Anti-seize on suspension bolts Reply with quote

Is it Ill advised to use anti-seize on suspension bolts, tranny and engine mount bolts? These things can be murder to remove. If torqued correctly will anti-seize be unsafe or make them loosen up? Thanks

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759868&highlight=
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti sieze is fine and won't cause issues if torqued correctly, just don't drown them, a thin smear is all that's needed.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Anti sieze is fine and won't cause issues if torqued correctly, just don't drown them, a thin smear is all that's needed.

Thanks so much! After breaking a breaker bar removing some of these items, I thought it might be better to put a bit of anti seize on them!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

X2.....brush it on, wipe it off. Thin, thin...just enough to color it. Use good anti-sieze. If you are working with steel bolts stay with the mixed anti-sieze like Henkel/felpro C5-A. The aluminum Permatex is primarily made for aluminum....its a bit more slippery.
There are well over 50 brands out there. Stay with top names.

Anti-sieze is not a lubricant per-se. If its made correctly its a collection of metal, silica etc whose sole purpose is to prevent galling. There should be only enough actual oil in it to make a paste for application. Its the metal flakes you want. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

X2.....brush it on, wipe it off. Thin, thin...just enough to color it. Use good anti-sieze. If you are working with steel bolts stay with the mixed anti-sieze like Henkel/felpro C5-A. The aluminum Permatex is primarily made for aluminum....its a bit more slippery.
There are well over 50 brands out there. Stay with top names.

Anti-sieze is not a lubricant per-se. If its made correctly its a collection of metal, silica etc whose sole purpose is to prevent galling. There should be only enough actual oil in it to make a paste for application. Its the metal flakes you want. Ray

Ray thanks for reply. I have a print out of all your FI tune up stuff such as for decel valve et. al. Anyway here is the stuff I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80078-Anti-Seize-Lu...atex+80078

it has aluminum, copper and graphite

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with that...buts its main ingredient is aluminum. Use it very sparingly. Wipe the brush in the lid off so it just dusts/colors the bolt surface. That is one of the more slippery anti-seize compounds. Its got a lot of juice or oil in it but it works just fine.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
There is nothing wrong with that...buts its main ingredient is aluminum. Use it very sparingly. Wipe the brush in the lid off so it just dusts/colors the bolt surface. That is one of the more slippery anti-seize compounds. Its got a lot of juice or oil in it but it works just fine.
Ray

will do. thanks.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Ray

I use that and I usually lightly coat the bolt in it then sort of dab it off with a towel to remove the excess. It leaves the material in the threads but it doesn't sploosh everywhere on install.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Ray

I use that and I usually lightly coat the bolt in it then sort of dab it off with a towel to remove the excess. It leaves the material in the threads but it doesn't sploosh everywhere on install.

X2
Ray
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apply a little bit to one screw, then use the next screw to spread it around. That way only half is left on the first one.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-seize on suspension bolts Reply with quote

Weezle wrote:
Is it Ill advised to use anti-seize on suspension bolts, tranny and engine mount bolts? These things can be murder to remove.

I found out the hard way what happens when a shock absorber bolt gets rusted inside a shock tower in one of the front wheel wells. In my case, the M12 bolt broke off right where it entered the tower. I had to drill the bolt out and buy a thread insert kit. In an environment where water is thrown around by the tire, anti-seize or a lubricant like silicone spray would have prevented that from happening.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-seize on suspension bolts Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
Weezle wrote:
Is it Ill advised to use anti-seize on suspension bolts, tranny and engine mount bolts? These things can be murder to remove.

I found out the hard way what happens when a shock absorber bolt gets rusted inside a shock tower in one of the front wheel wells. In my case, the M12 bolt broke off right where it entered the tower. I had to drill the bolt out and buy a thread insert kit. In an environment where water is thrown around by the tire, anti-seize or a lubricant like silicone spray would have prevented that from happening.

Over long term.....silicone spray will not help at all. It washes off and/or dries out.. The reasom anti-seize works has nothing to do with the small amount of lught oil used to turn it into a paste.
That oul goes away quickly as well. It is the soft metal flakes and silica that are the filler (actually the main ingredient). They prevent perfect/total metal to metal contact and t b e metal flakes themselves oxidize over time. This metal flake layer prevents galling on initial torque and the metal oxide over the long haul prevents rust and galvanic action from welding the two fasteners together. Ray
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This calls for a celebration, Ray. You made your 6000th post. Dancing
I've got you beat when it comes to uploading photos; I have 12 more than you do. Laughing
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
This calls for a celebration, Ray. You made your 6000th post. Dancing
I've got you beat when it comes to uploading photos; I have 12 more than you do. Laughing

Cool! So now I have a reason for drinking last night!
Yes....I upload few photos....but that may, change
Ray
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antiseize eventually evaporates away. It works really well in a non highly exposed environments like a spark plug or lug nut that is serviced every couple of years. On suspension fasters it would only work good on a non daily driver. If the fastener is gong to be on for a long time; over five years, and it is practical ,blue loctite is better. Automakers use a sealer like product that they 'paint' the threads down the length on one side of the bolt that works like loctite. I see the same thing done on pipe fittings. The loctite is not used to 'lock' the fastener but it does not evaporate in 5 years and stays between the threads. Something like pan bolts ,use blue loctite.

I'm also using castle 'torque master' Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Antiseize eventually evaporates away. It works really well in a non highly exposed environments like a spark plug or lug nut that is serviced every couple of years. On suspension fasters it would only work good on a non daily driver. If the fastener is gong to be on for a long time; over five years, and it is practical ,blue loctite is better. Automakers use a sealer like product that they 'paint' the threads down the length on one side of the bolt that works like loctite. I see the same thing done on pipe fittings. The loctite is not used to 'lock' the fastener but it does not evaporate in 5 years and stays between the threads. Something like pan bolts ,use blue loctite.

I'm also using castle 'torque master' Very Happy

Anti, sieze is supposed to evaporate. The oil in it has nothing to do with its anti-sieze properties. Its the soft metallic and silica components that are the anti-seize part.

The metal, components will oxidize with age and become powdery and black. As long as there is powdery residue you are still fine. Only when it becomes a tight thin black coating does it lose its anti-seize properties.

You have to remember that anti-seize is, not supposed to be a lubricant like and oil. Its not supposed to make things slippery. Its simply designed to prevent galling of similar alloys under torque. Ray
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only down side to antiseezzee is it is going to be everywhere,even if you just do a little on the wifes honda it will be all over your vw and hear clothes. so be fair warned, that stuff has a mind of it's own.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
the only down side to antiseezzee is it is going to be everywhere,even if you just do a little on the wifes honda it will be all over your vw and hear clothes. so be fair warned, that stuff has a mind of it's own.

One of the first things I learned!
In high, school.....working on my first VW....my Dad taught me about using anti-seize.
But.....my Mom taught me about cleaning it up.....after I tracked it into the house.

Anti-seize is amazing stuff ......causes bolts and fasteners not to seize....and causes screaming in women! Laughing
Ray
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
In high, school.....working on my first VW....my Dad taught me about using anti-seize.
But.....my Mom taught me about cleaning it up.....after I tracked it into the house.

Damn, that stuff is nasty to clean off hands, I'd hate to be scrubbing it out of carpet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Damn, that stuff is nasty to clean off hands, I'd hate to be scrubbing it out of carpet.

I was lucky. It was brand new carpet.....and it was just at the top fringe off the side of my shoe.
Dad taught me another one.....he shaved a very thin layer off the top with a razor blade along with the anti-sieze.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: