Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 65 Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
asesapie wrote:
Well I fought the rear bumper off and managed to yank the motor last night. Where is it stamped to determine if the motor is original to the bus?

This weekend, cutting up the cargo floor area.

Right below the generator, stamped into the engine just below where the generator tower mounts. Read it looking through the fan belt. Clean with rag if you don't see numbers

I know the motor number is there.how does it match up? Does the stamped number match the vin?

Also with my earlier post. Where do I go from now in metal replacement. Do I need to brace the cargo door gap when I replace the rocker or is it good to go? What order should the pieces be re-installed/welded in?
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I figured out according to the vin my bus was built April of '64 but the motor is from December of '65. My title show the bus as a '65 and the vin matches the vin on the bus so I'm not sure what happened way back when.

My previous '63 had the vin plate in the engine bay. On this bus the vin plate is riveted to the fresh air box in the cab area. Is this the stock location.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm also on to cutting out outriggers and the rear crossmember. What do most of you guys use to cut those pieces out with out cutting into the frame or top hat above? I was attempting the task with my angle grinder with a cut off wheel but it didn't work that great due to tight spaces. Need some suggestions for the.p best method to cut those pieces out.
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone??
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VIN should be up there on the air box and to the right of the engine stamped on the body. It could have been built in '64 and be a '65 year model.
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a sawzall with a metal blade when I cut out all that stuff underneath. Seemed pretty accurate in most situations, but I also wasn't too worried about digging into something else as almost everything underneath mine needed to come out. Just using larger cutting discs seems to work well too. Or, one of my personal favorite methods was to cut a little bit into there the piece you're cutting meets the frame, then insert a chisel or something similar and beat the crap out of it till it pops off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool that's good to know about the vin plate. The vin in the engine bay matches as well.

Hopefully I'll get some old crusty metal cut out and new good metal in this weekend
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely an engine swap there, or engine was not put in until mods were done. Probably want to check door gaps before welding on rocker pieces. Might have to pull side together some as removing the door rockers leaves part of the whole monocoque/unibody open, spreading the opening. See the other rebuild threads.
PS Nice work!
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bit done last Saturday on the bus. Cut out the rear crossmember, pass side outrigger and part of top hat. I then went to grind things clean to weld in replacement pieces to find some rot in the gram behind the rear crossmember. It is a very small amount. Will get those areas repaired soon

asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the rust repaired on the frame. That's all I had time for today as my weber ICT's are being jerks on my Squareback.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: