Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New wiring harness problems T2 bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
janet6464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: New wiring harness problems T2 bus Reply with quote

My husband and I were adventurous and decided to run a new main wiring harness on our 1976 T2 camper. We followed all wiring diagrams and after running into multiple weird wiring from the PO we think we have it all connected correctly. (The bus ran fine prior to the new harness but we noticed a lot of bare wires and melted areas so we decided to change it.)
Problem: The lights on the dash and the headlights come on when we turn the key but the engine won't turn over. We here noise from the engine compartment but still nada.
-Battery checks out great.
-I have checked the starter and it is ok
-I can't get a good check on the solenoid despite following all forum suggestion. I just can't get it to do anything when I run a connection to the ignition connection from the post on the solenoid.
-Fairly sure it is not the ignition switch per tests, but again can't tell for sure.
-I have double checked what I think is all the ground points on all the wiring harnesses but considering there are almost as many as fish in the sea I can't be sure.
Any suggestions?

On another note I have back and grey wire that runs from what I would presume (per wiring diagram and the fact that it runs from one of the harnesses in the steering column) from the buzzer for ignition key and the diagram says it should hook into the door contact switch. Problem is that I don't have a contact point on the door contact switch because all the available ones have been used for other must have points. Any suggestions on 1) what to do and/or 2) what the wire could be if it is not from the buzzer?

I have been working on this problem for 4 days and I am about to give up and look for a decent mechanic to figure it out. Problem is I have to have Big Blue running for shipment to Germany in 2 1/2 weeks!
Help!
bigdan.theplumber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more familiar with early bays and carburetors but I'll try to help.
Quote:
Battery checks out great.

What voltage did you get?
Quote:
I have checked the starter and it is ok

How did you check the starter?
Quote:
I can't get a good check on the solenoid despite following all forum suggestion. I just can't get it to do anything when I run a connection to the ignition connection from the post on the solenoid.

Are you talking about the starter solenoid? You should be able to turn the starter over by touching the terminals with a wrench or something. There should be a big fat cable about as thick as your finger going from the battery to one terminal and another thinner wire going to the other terminal. Its not part of the wiring harness per se but did you change the ground strap on the engine. If you didn't touch it, I'm sure its fine.
Quote:
Fairly sure it is not the ignition switch per tests, but again can't tell for sure.

I agree, If it worked before it's probably still fine
Quote:
We here noise from the engine compartment but still nada

What kind of noise? Does the noise start as soon as you turn on the ignition or is it only when you try to start it? Does it sound like an electric fuel pump or "click click click" like the starter is having trouble?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the key is in the "ON" position you should have power to the "+" side of the coil, there should also be a black wire hooked to the coil with an inline fuse in it, this wire will activate the FI relay side of the double relay.

There should be a red/black wire running to one of the female spades on the starter solenoid. This wire is what signals the solenoid to engage and will have power only when the key is turned to the "start" position. It matters which female spade it is attached to, try them all to see if one works. There should also be a red/white wire hooked to one of the female spades, it is not important which space this wire gets connected to, any should work.

I wouldn't put too much effort into getting the seat belt buzzer to work.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
When the key is in the "ON" position you should have power to the "+" side of the coil, there should also be a black wire hooked to the coil with an inline fuse in it, this wire will activate the FI relay side of the double relay.

There should be a red/black wire running to one of the female spades on the starter solenoid. This wire is what signals the solenoid to engage and will have power only when the key is turned to the "start" position. It matters which female spade it is attached to, try them all to see if one works. There should also be a red/white wire hooked to one of the female spades, it is not important which space this wire gets connected to, any should work.

I wouldn't put too much effort into getting the seat belt buzzer to work.

what he said and

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

janet6464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. The battery checks to 12.6V The ignition switch registers 12v when the ignition key is turned on. I checked the starter by running a screw driver across the posts on the and the stater whirs but didn't as it should. (All this done previously and unfortunately I wasn't specific enough).
Forgot to describe the noise. It is most definitely sounds like the electric fuel pump and it starts when I turn the key. Unfortunately I can't get any kind of click click or any additional noises when I turn over the vehicle.
I have triple checked that the ignition female spade is in the correct location. I am also sure that I have the fuel injection points correct on the solenoid (not because I'm brilliant but because I didn't move them from previous placement by PO).
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated Smile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janet6464 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. The battery checks to 12.6V The ignition switch registers 12v when the ignition key is turned on. I checked the starter by running a screw driver across the posts on the and the stater whirs but didn't as it should. (All this done previously and unfortunately I wasn't specific enough).
Forgot to describe the noise. It is most definitely sounds like the electric fuel pump and it starts when I turn the key. Unfortunately I can't get any kind of click click or any additional noises when I turn over the vehicle.
I have triple checked that the ignition female spade is in the correct location. I am also sure that I have the fuel injection points correct on the solenoid (not because I'm brilliant but because I didn't move them from previous placement by PO).

Is this a manual or automatic trans vehicle?
janet6464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a manual transmission
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a manual trans the start wire for the ignition switch goes from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid with no interruptions*. If you have 12V at the switch when you turn the key to start, you should also have 12V+/- at the solenoid end unless there is a problem with the wire, or spade lug. Check for voltage when it leaves the ignition, and again when it arrives at the starter. If you find close to 12V there then look at the engine ground strap. If that does not get it, you may have a sticky solenoid in the starter. If you run a screw driver between the big wire and the spade lug the starter should turn the engine over. If it does not then watch the battery voltage to see if the battery is low, or has a bad connection / ground.

*on an auto trans there is a neutral switch in the circuit too
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
janet6464 wrote:

Is this a manual or automatic trans vehicle?

The question should also be asked: "Is the wiring harness from manual vehicle or an automatic vehicle. If from an automatic you will need to connect the wires for the #50 circuit together where they would have gone to the neutral safety switch.
janet6464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiring harness is definitely for a manual.
I'm out of ideas so she is going off to the professionals tomorrow. I'll let tall know what they say it was so maybe it will help somebody else.
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain your process for rewiring the main harness? This is a daunting task.

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
janet6464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update: Completely looked over wiring and found 2 grounds that were missing/ placed wrong and I changed the battery ground just in case. Figured out the door switch thing (just needed a ground) and that the PO did away with the sliding door switch but I am not going to fight that battle with wiring. Good news is that I now have power to everything that should have it and all my lights show up as they should (not the case before) when I turn the switch. Bad news: Still doesn't start Sad and Im still just getting the whirring noise with no clicking or attempt to turn over. Based on previously mentioned changes, I rechecked the solenoid since it was the only thing that didn't check out before and I got nadda again. I think that the issue is now a bad solenoid but I'm not chasing that rabbit down the hole, I'm taking it to a garage and having them check and change it if necessary. If it's not that maybe they can figure it out.

Changing the wiring harness, while daunting, honestly would not have been that bad if the PO had not splicing wires 2-5 colors per strand and ran some weird jumpers from one location to the next in an effort to bypass things they didn't deem important. They had also had some previous shorts, per all the melted wires, and sometimes it was hard to tell the color based on that. I do suggest that you look up and learn to read the wiring diagram from here on thesamba for your year or you are going to be dead in the water. Unless of course your PO was nice enough to leave the old one alone and then its just a matter of matching red to red etc. Be prepared for a long day because you have to deal with getting the new harness through the fire wall and then back up through the front end.
More to follow....
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janet6464 wrote:
... I'm taking it to a garage and having them check and change it if necessary. If it's not that maybe they can figure it out.

With it in neutral, no loose gasoline nearby as there will be a spark, you jump the two posts (green text). The starter should spin. It will not engage however because it needs the solenoid to engage. If this is not Ok then either the battery is bad or the starter is bad. Lights take a lot less electricity than a starter, If it is Ok, which it probably will be, then you jump between the one stud and spade lug (white text). The starter should turn the engine. If it does not then either the battery or starter solenoid are bad in which case I would turn the head lights on and try again. If the lights go completely out when you try it is the battery or the main cable. If the light dim about 20% - 40% and it still doesn't work then it is the starter. You don't need a shop to test this. Most likely you will see it again in a few years even if you replace the starter. It is a very common problem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

janet6464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I retried the check on the solenoid and still nada sssooo Im going to replace the solenoid and the starter, even though the starter is good, because it is less expensive to do both at the same time. If that doesn't work then I am going to follow through on my previous threats to take her to the shop Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do need to make sure you have 12v on the big lug on the starter (ground hooked to the engine block) while you are trying to jumper the terminals. If the battery cables and/or tranny ground strap are bad the voltage will drop significantly when the terminals are jumped.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janet6464 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I retried the check on the solenoid and still nada sssooo Im going to replace the solenoid and the starter, even though the starter is good, because it is less expensive to do both at the same time. If that doesn't work then I am going to follow through on my previous threats to take her to the shop Smile

if it spun on the green text test and did nothing on the white text test, and the lights did not go out then it is 99% chance the solenoid is sticky. The grease hardens in them and then they won't move inside. My 1971 did this maybe 5 or 6 times in 400,000 miles with new and rebuilt solenoids.
janet6464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced starter & solenoid at the same time today as a pkg. Still not turning over. Starter tested good, but solenoid will still not engage when providing power to the ignition lead from the hot post on the starter. She goes to the shop tomorrow as we are out of time. She will be running soon :-0
janet6464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ssssooo she is at the shop and has been for 2 days and even they are still stumped as to why she won't start. Hopefully soon!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janet6464 wrote:
Ssssooo she is at the shop and has been for 2 days and even they are still stumped as to why she won't start. Hopefully soon!

check the main cable from the battery to the starter, and check the ground straps. If the engine can be turned by hand but the starter won't turn engage when the power is applied to the solenoid as you stated then it can only be one of these things

1. Battery
2. Starter Solenoid
3. Cable from the battery and/or connection(s)
4. Ground strap(s) and/or connection(s)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
janet6464 wrote:

check the main cable from the battery to the starter, and check the ground straps. If the engine can be turned by hand but the starter won't turn engage when the power is applied to the solenoid as you stated then it can only be one of these things

1. Battery
2. Starter Solenoid
3. Cable from the battery and/or connection(s)
4. Ground strap(s) and/or connection(s)

Agreed. Reading the voltage from the lug on the starter to the engine block while trying to engage to starter should give a strong indication of what is going on. I am guessing the voltage drops to near zero.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: