Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Caitlyns 66 Ghia Build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Caitlyns 66 Ghia Build Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Caitlyn, I am building/restoring my first car. I have to honest I was very nervous about posting on the Samba because everyone here knows so much more than I do about my car and I am building it, so I started a Facebook page first (https://www.facebook.com/caitsfirstcar) and everyone there told me I "HAVE" to post my story here on the The Samba. I am not a stranger to the Samba at all, I have been stalking for a while trying to get info and source parts. So here goes!

Again my name is Caitlyn, I am 14 yrs old. I am building my first car which being 14 gives me just about 2 years to get it done. I am an A/B student, this year is my freshman year in high school. I am in all AP classes, and I take my future seriously, so with this build, school comes first, the reason I am saying this is this will not be a fast build or "post everyday kind of build" I only have after school for a few hours, a few days a week. Dont get me wrong I am very motivated and it will get done just not as fast as all the other builds on here.I will also do alot of things wrong or not the way others will, but Ive never done this before and this is my first of many I hope!

How did I get started? My Dad is a mechanic, he owns a small shop where we live, I am the oldest of 4 children, my stepmom is a school teacher, and we get by, my dad has for the last 4 years built a car for SEMA, and done it from the ground up! so, I naturally thought why not build my car?? So.....I picked a car! 1966 Karmann Ghia I have been checking out for years behind a fence in a tow yard.I have always been in love with the Karmann Ghia. I did everything myself, talked the owner of the tow company,and even had him tow it to my dads shop. I didnt know what i was getting into. as soon as it got to my dads shop, my dad said why a VW?? Then he gave me the bad news, he knows nothing about air cooled VW's Crying or Very sad . but I am in love with it! so will little persuasion I had my dad agree to help/letting me build it. to help him out I started a donation page, and contacted a few companies for help, I.E. Charles adams from atomwerk, TJ @ Karmannghia.com, Dan Olsen @ Dan's VW Customs, Tracy @ Jims VW,Ralph@Action Glass, Ms.Carol @Sewfine, just to name a few. Everyone has been extremely helpful! I even had a few Facebook followers offer me parts for my car! SoAwesome!! Please dont get me wrong I am not doing this thread to get anything from anyone aside from, knowledge and advise( Of course I will take anything anyone wants to give! HAHA!). I am doing 90% of the work on this car myself, and I am only 2 months into this project with many more to go! Anyways, sorry about the long thread, but please wish me luck!!! And please watch me, and like me on face book!

Thanks Caitlyn

P.S. I am trying to figure out how to post pictures, so they will be coming soon!

Last edited by Caliherold on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba and classic VWs! You definitely found the right place to post your project and ask questions. Most folks here are more than happy to help. And don't be afraid to ask what you might think to be a stupid question. We all started from scratch - we've all been there...

Kudos to you for making school a priority! Hopefully you can find time to squeeze in a little garage time between homework and studying. And I'm sure your dad is very proud of you for following in his footsteps!
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I look forward to seeing your progress. Smile
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmmm WOW!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and good luck!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Caitlyns 66 Ghia Build Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba Caitlyn...no need to worry, the Karmann Ghia Forum regulars are like the car itself, stylish, good to look at but a little on the slow side. No really they are very supportive and as long as you keep on the right side of the moderators you can't lose. Wink

Pictures are easy, they will upload to the Samba Gallery as long as they are no more than 1600 pixels wide and the file size no more than 4 MB. You'll find the "How To" here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433754

Looking forward to your ongoing story...good luck.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: me Reply with quote

Hello Everyone. this is me!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is the day I finally had the guts to talk the Paul at Raisinman Towing, really cool guy! Not to mention the day I bought my Ghia!!

I think I got this picturething figured out
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! All of us were like you once - climbing that learning curve - and many of us still are towards the bottom of it. But all of us are here because we love these little cars! Glad to have you here with us.

If you're on Facebook, also check out the Karmann Ghia World Club - another good Karmann-Ghia-centered community of enthusiasts who enjoy these car and the friendships that grow from them. Smile

Welcome! And remember: with Karmann Ghias, as with most everything else in life, the only bad question is the one you don't ask. Wink
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Caitlyns 66 Ghia Build Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Welcome to The Samba Caitlyn...no need to worry, the Karmann Ghia Forum regulars are like the car itself, stylish, good to look at but a little on the slow side. No really they are very supportive and as long as you keep on the right side of the moderators you can't lose. Wink

Pictures are easy, they will upload to the Samba Gallery as long as they are no more than 1600 pixels wide and the file size no more than 4 MB. You'll find the "How To" here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433754

Looking forward to your ongoing story...good luck.

Thanks John!! I think im gonna have to resize, Ive never seen my head so close before. Haha!!!
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrowagen wrote:
Welcome! All of us were like you once - climbing that learning curve - and many of us still are towards the bottom of it. But all of us are here because we love these little cars! Glad to have you here with us.

If you're on Facebook, also check out the Karmann Ghia World Club - another good Karmann-Ghia-centered community of enthusiasts who enjoy these car and the friendships that grow from them. Smile

Welcome! And remember: with Karmann Ghias, as with most everything else in life, the only bad question is the one you don't ask. Wink

Thnks David, I will for sure. If I can figure out how to like something with my facebook page! haha! I believe I had Bernie Caffaro intro my page onto your page. so Thank you!! Everyone here is fantastic!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Caitlyns 66 Ghia Build Reply with quote

Caliherold wrote:

Thanks John!! I think im gonna have to resize, Ive never seen my head so close before. Haha!!!

Don't worry about resizing...it's a looong time since I've seen a KG owner without wrinkles. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha!!!
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are going to want to drive it when you are done, don't let them!
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Zodiac- wrote:

Drive it???? HA! I cant wait for the first person to lean on it! I almost got a Porsche 914 just so no one could ride in it, But I love the Karmann Ghia Style!
retrofive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah memories. My fist car in HS was a '74 Ghia. Fought my parents for months to buy it. That was some 20yrs ago. Now on my 5th Ghia.

All the effort will be worth it. I have many many many found memories of that first one.

Welcome to the club!
retrofive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliherold wrote:
-Zodiac- wrote:

Drive it???? HA! I cant wait for the first person to lean on it! I almost got a Porsche 914 just so no one could ride in it, But I love the Karmann Ghia Style!

Laughing I stepped over to the 914 side for a stint. I couldn't look at it in the garage any longer knowing I really wanted another Ghia.
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Weeks of working on tear down

Loading more pics, I think im figureing it out.
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant project. Smile Kinda mad that I didn't think of that donations page idea. lol. Subscribed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still in the first couple weeks

I liked doing this, it reminded me of a hot wheels toy!!
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noslzzp wrote:
Brilliant project. Smile Kinda mad that I didn't think of that donations page idea. lol. Subscribed.

HAHA! My dad said the same thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: