Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Caitlyns 66 Ghia Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubulup wrote:
not too many can say they've been to Chalmette (I'm in Lafayette), haha!

hope to see this thing cruising the coast some day!

That's so cool you're in louisiana. From what I'm finding there are not many VW fanatics here at all, especially when it comes to parts! Sometime I feel this is totally the wrong state to build this car, especially coming from Southern California. Ha! But I really do love the way of life here though.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliherold wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
UH OH!! WHY ARN'T you restoring it back to factory original!!!
Spend countless hours researching the type of marking on bolt heads to be sure they are the right ones, checking that your carpet tacks are the right length, and that you get the correct color for the grease pencil marks under the trunk mat.
The factory had lots of engineers design that Ghia just right!
But . . . you want to spend YOUR money and YOUR time to build YOUR car the way YOU want to have it and enjoy???? Being a little selfish! Razz

I will check in my attic . . . I think I have a pair from my '68 project and since you are not concerned with the DATE CODES on the glass, they will work fine.

Caliherold wrote:
You are Hilarious!! I have nothing againt everyone you is doing a factory build, as a matter of fact, I envy those guys/gals. It takes alot to get it exactly to factory spec.....BUT that being said, there is a reason a new porsche boxster runs on 18 inch wheels, Coilover suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, and have clear coats.....TIMES HAVE ADVANCED. HAHA! I love my car, L O V E my car. but i want it to be safe, and convienient, and beable to handle like a porsche!! Blitz!!!...... If you have them let me know, Id loveto buy the windows from you, anyway I can save some money I would be very greatful!!......Pictures coming shortly, you will see I have ALOT of work ahead of me so anyway I can save $$$$$$$$ im in!! Thanks for even looking.

And YES I am missing the rear windows.

Good news . . . I have the quarter windows!
Bad news . . . They have a few scratches.
Good news . . . They have latches.
Bad news . . . the knobs on the latches do not match. One chrome, one ivory.
Good news . . . new knobs are available.
BIG bad news . . . as far as I know, the ONLY new glass available for Ghias would be the windshield . . . so for any other glass, ya take what you can find.
Good news . . . I put your name on the quarter glass and put them back in the attic. You have several weeks worth of work before you are going to need them as they are one of the last things to go back into the car after paint.
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are Awesome!!! Thanks Blitz!!
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliherold wrote:
dubulup wrote:

That's so cool you're in louisiana. From what I'm finding there are not many VW fanatics here at all, especially when it comes to parts! Sometime I feel this is totally the wrong state to build this car, especially coming from Southern California. Ha! But I really do love the way of life here though.

Ha - now that's a cool one. My roots are from New Orleans. I'm in Belgium on rotation.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its threads like this that make one stop worrying about the younger generation...you go girl..

My first car in school was a rusted out 72 Ghia convertible - you don't ever forget it...

couple of tips from an overprotective Dad of 6 young ladies

- Get eye protection when you are working under/around your car - stuff often flies off when you are grinding etc and you need to protect your vision. Good ANSI 'spectator googles' will do - cheap at the hardware store.

...and link to your Dads hobby ..Mixed Martial Arts Championship page - we call that 'creep away' (JK)

Is that a later model carb with the vacuum pull-off and idle cutoff solenoid? 1966 was early for that, I thought.

Good luck on that project!! Maybe its time to work on my 64....
dubulup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliherold wrote:
dubulup wrote:

There are a few ghia's here in town (mostly fat chicks)...yours is the oldest I've heard of in state, so parts will be tough to find locally. There was a 67 for sale here...but from what I've heard it's the year of one offs.
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Its threads like this that make one stop worrying about the younger generation...you go girl..

My first car in school was a rusted out 72 Ghia convertible - you don't ever forget it...

couple of tips from an overprotective Dad of 6 young ladies

- Get eye protection when you are working under/around your car - stuff often flies off when you are grinding etc and you need to protect your vision. Good ANSI 'spectator googles' will do - cheap at the hardware store.

...and link to your Dads hobby ..Mixed Martial Arts Championship page - we call that 'creep away' (JK)

Is that a later model carb with the vacuum pull-off and idle cutoff solenoid? 1966 was early for that, I thought.

Good luck on that project!! Maybe its time to work on my 64....

My dad is on my but about the safety equiment now!!! (Thanks guys Confused) He is usually on me about it but as of late its a huge concern! Haha! I guess im not gonna win any beauty contests with me goggles on, but its worse not being able to see or breathe!! I am glad to restore even a little faith in my generation, we need it! I am so happy to see everyone watching my build, slowly but surely!!
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianL wrote:
Caliherold wrote:
dubulup wrote:

Ha - now that's a cool one. My roots are from New Orleans. I'm in Belgium on rotation.

Do you miss the south? Im from California originally but the South is just like The Samba, Very warm and inviting!
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubulup wrote:
Caliherold wrote:
dubulup wrote:

There are a few ghia's here in town (mostly fat chicks)...yours is the oldest I've heard of in state, so parts will be tough to find locally. There was a 67 for sale here...but from what I've heard it's the year of one offs.

"the year of one offs" ppffhhh!!! You got that right, everything is hard to get on this.

But....Yall will be glad to hear....I JUST BOUGHT A PARTS CAR!!!!! Jims VW just set me up with a heck of a deal!!!!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali, ^^^all the one year only's ...thats 67's. 66's? they're easy. Wink

Congrats on the parts car purchase, wise beyond your years. What year?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliherold wrote:
Do you miss the south? Im from California originally but the South is just like The Samba, Very warm and inviting!

Hmmm- It's in the blood. I take it with me wherever I go. Cool
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Caitlyn...you might have heard this drifting across the river a while ago. This is our resident Karmann Ghia Sambanista musician on drums. Very Happy

They recorded their last album in Algiers...you can see the bridge in the background.

Link

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw some non-stock hoses underneath on those earlier pictures...I'm guessing that is an external oil cooler?

Please, let's remember she is a classy young lady and keep this thread at her classy level.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I think I saw some non-stock hoses underneath on those earlier pictures...I'm guessing that is an external oil cooler?

Please, let's remember she is a classy young lady and keep this thread at her classy level.

We're all classy here, ain't we? Confused
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

It had ac. It will again, just don't a little differently. Definitely going to be updated.
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Cali, ^^^all the one year only's ...thats 67's. 66's? they're easy. Wink

Congrats on the parts car purchase, wise beyond your years. What year?

I was able to get another 66 from Jim's VW!!!! They gave me an awesome deal to help me out!! In the pics it has a later pan though. It has the 4 lug pattern, but the body looks great! now I need to find a way to get it from Alabama to Louisiana. Anyone know a cheap transporter???? Haha!
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Abscate wrote:

We're all classy here, ain't we? Confused

y'all have been great. thank you for all of the support.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliherold wrote:
Abscate wrote:

It had ac. It will again, just don't a little differently. Definitely going to be updated.

Ahhhh, yes. Up here in the great white snowy north, we forget that cars need AC...or we call vent windows AC...
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Caliherold wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Ahhhh, yes. Up here in the great white snowy north, we forget that cars need AC...or we call vent windows AC...

My dad always says all he had was type 255 ac. 2 windows down 55 mph. The humidity is killer here.
Caliherold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/[/img]
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/[/img]

Dan @ Dan's VW Custom just sent me pics of this 1776. This is the build right before mine!! I'm so excited. Mine is next, and he's such a dear to talk to. If Yall need a motor build. As least talk to him. He's knowledgeable and he does one at a time. Nice guy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: