Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Top will not close
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Top will not close Reply with quote

Finally got around to replacing my windshield and repairing the mounting points where the windshield frame attaches to the base. It is now solid with no flex! The problem is, I can no longer latch my top. There is an almost two inch gap now. Are there any adjustments that I may be missing? Will I need a new top? It was fairly hard to latch before I fixed the frame. The top was replaced by the PO, so i am wondering if it was done while the windshield frame was still floppy. The top frame is decent with only some slight bowing. Any ideas?
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: too tight Reply with quote

hey there,

when I replaced my top, I had a 6inch difference tween the top and windshield,

I HAD to park the THING in the sun and get the top nice and warm first. Idea

then it latched no problem.

make sure the top's frame, esp the bar right above the rear window is in
the correct place or it can make latching the top tough.
you should have a helper dont bend your frame.

Cant imagine you did anything to the windshield to make it that difficult to latch, you can only move the thing an inch or two forwards maybe with the window to body adjustment, as far as the window being too far forwards or back.

without pictures, my best suggestion is to get the top warm and try to latch.

I just put on a new convert top this year and redid my window frame gasket and cleaned it all up so I know what you mean...it can be tricky.

Hope this helps, post up some photos, maybe some of the real vw guru's can chime in!

hope it helps.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put up the top and side curtains and leave it in the sun. Do not force it or you will rip out a seam. My top stays down all summer so when I have to put it up for the winter I have to do the same thing. If I have waited too long and it is cold out sometimes I have had to use a hairdryer to warm the vinyl top before I am able to latch it.

Good luck
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I put my top up, I'm in a helluva hurry because I'm caught in the rain. Sad

I always un-latch the windshield first. It makes it much easier to align the header pins to the top of the windshield frame. Once its all buttoned down, I re-latch the windshield frame.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Whenever I put my top up, I'm in a helluva hurry because I'm caught in the rain. Sad

I always un-latch the windshield first. It makes it much easier to align the header pins to the top of the windshield frame. Once its all buttoned down, I re-latch the windshield frame.

Good luck, Mondshine
You have a top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have seen that one coming Dennis Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that on the news, Man puts his top up after 20 years, now no one knows him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'll try again this weekend and post some pics if I still have issues.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take your time with it. As doublecanister mentioned, get the top nice and warm.
You might be able to hook the latches onto the windshield frame without actually latching them down. That would leave about a one inch gap at the front. You could leave it that way for a day or so to let the top stretch, and then try to latch it down.
Don't over do it; there's no "Command Z" (Control Z) if you rip the top!

Good luck, Mondshine
mising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Just take your time with it. As doublecanister mentioned, get the top nice and warm.
You might be able to hook the latches onto the windshield frame without actually latching them down. That would leave about a one inch gap at the front. You could leave it that way for a day or so to let the top stretch, and then try to latch it down.
Don't over do it; there's no "Command Z" (Control Z) if you rip the top!

Good luck, Mondshine

Actually got it to this point today after leaving it out in the sun for two days. Gotta bring it in tonight though because it is supposed to rain. Sunny all weekend, so maybe I can get it latched by Sunday. No big rush though as I still have the engine out to clean it up a bit.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh, I knew the Thing top took a bit to put up, relative to say... A Miata.... But you'll never hear another convertible owner use the phrase
"...after leaving it out in the sun for two days... maybe I can get it latched by Sunday.." Shocked

Lol.... The Thing..... Gotta love 'em! Wink

Just give it time to relax.... Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
mising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it to latch today, but it seems as I may have to end up having to redo the top at the front header if that is possible, because now it pulls the windshield frame too far back by about an inch and the side curtains still don't line up properly with the top latched. They are perfect now when the top is unlatched I'll give it another day or two in the sunshine while we still have some. It looks like part of the top may have pulled out already, see picture. It looks like the metal tab pulled out of the piece of vinyl where my finger is pointing. Is it possible to undo and reattach the top to the header to loosen it up a bit?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
mising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Sheesh, I knew the Thing top took a bit to put up, relative to say... A Miata.... But you'll never hear another convertible owner use the phrase
"...after leaving it out in the sun for two days... maybe I can get it latched by Sunday.." Shocked

Lol.... The Thing..... Gotta love 'em! Wink

Just give it time to relax.... Cool

Oh it latched easy peasy before I repaired the window frame, but I think the only holding it together was the paint, lol! I put a new top on my fiancees '03 Beetle and the I had to leave it outside all day before I could get it to close the first time!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: