Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Traveling from Los Angeles to New Orleans.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Traveling from Los Angeles to New Orleans. Reply with quote

Hey all. I have a good friend that is currently traveling from the Los Angeles area to New Orleans, Louisiana, for a few months. I was told her route will be either I40 or I10. My reason for this thread is to get some contacts in the event she has car problems. The car is a "barn find" 1971 Super Beetle, all original, with only 135,000 miles. Knowing how "tight" samba folks are I am looking for contacts such as cool people, vw clubs, and air-cooled shops. My concern as her VW tech is the engine holds together. Anyone can reply with good info here or PM me. Thanks in advance, Bill.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoinette contacted me a few days before she planned to be in Eugene. She found me on www.type2.com/rescue We adjusted her new clutch that some women had put in for her in Portland. Exclamation She spent the night had breakfast and got back on the road in the morning. She's met hundreds of new people on her Adventure it sounds like! Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=588159
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike for the reply. Does that type2 rescue link still work? I signed up and when I submitted it the link may not be available anymore. Bill
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can read all the listings in Oregon but it won't let me sign up either. There was a guy in France building a new world wide AIRS site that is working I believe.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Traveling from Los Angeles to New Orleans. Reply with quote

I-10 goes directly from L.A. to New Orleans. I-40 will be too far north and a lot more mountainous. The only stretch that would concern me is west Texas, only because there is a lot of nothing between El Paso and the hill country.
Good luck to your friend. Wink
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy. Just got a call from her. She is in Flagstaff. Car wont idle and the oil lite is on. It is hard to diagnose a problem over the phone so am using the type2/rescue site and txt'd 6 contacts in the Flagstaff area to her. I guess this is a test to see how up to date the info is. I guess next I will locate an air-cooled shop in the area.
Thanks in advance, Bill.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
What is the update on the trip??

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the '71 Super, named Sheila, is back on the road again. The owner was successfully able to link up with a fellow VW fan in the Flagstaff area by me forwarding names from the site type2/rescue. Apparently the car would not start after a meal stop. The rescuer discovered the points to be at fault, even though I did a full service to include Bosch 01-011 made in Brazil points. I know the distributor to be the original and had numerous scratches on the rubbing contacts for the shaft. Previously, the points would close up prematurely and I would have to re-adjust. I use a generous amount of the Bosch distrib grease, so I wonder if some of the grease flung off and got onto the contacts? The rescuer apparently supplied a used distrib and got her running. Also, the oil lite was on and I had also installed a new oil pressure switch, Car Quest pn 53-33502, made in Taiwan. ( I didn't have access to a Bosch switch on Sat eve ) A replacement repaired this.
I'll update as I receive info, Bill.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Traveling from Los Angeles to New Orleans. Reply with quote

Flag is I-40. So she's taking the longer northern route? Confused
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new dilemma. While stopped for gas and/or chow, along the 180 in Arizona, the car refused to restart. During a cell phone conversation to diagnose whether it was a no-spark issue or flooded or lack of fuel, since she said she did not smell any gas while cranking I had her loosen up the gas cap and WOW she heard a noticeable woosh that told me the fuel tank was not venting. After a bit of cranking Sheila started and sounded fine, per her pilot. I'm guessing she has possibly jammed something into the trunk kinking an EVAP hose. I told her to leave the gas cap loose a couple of turns and get back to me. I'm sure there is more to follow.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, sometimes I feel like a lousy VW tech, but Sheila decided to run poor, and die, again last nite in some mountain town. Got towed by some cool folks with a trailer and was put up for the nite there. Ignition related I was told and on her way. They "adjusted" her timing for the altitude. At 2PM was approaching the I10 in New Mexico. Now working the issue of locating someone in El Paso to check the car out and adjust the timing(her words). I e-mailed her 4 contacts from the type2 rescue in El Paso.

This story could be a reality show in Hollywood!!

Bill
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think maybe she's taking advantage of a system designed for emergencies?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
Do you think maybe she's taking advantage of a system designed for emergencies?

To her its all emergencies; reads like a non car person living the dream when they should have shipped it
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Traveling from Los Angeles to New Orleans. Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
To her its all emergencies; reads like a non car person living the dream when they should have shipped it

That seems a bit harsh. If she drove off from LA with oil gushing out of the engine or a rod knock, then yes, trying to drive to NO would have been sheer folly. It just sounds like she is having ignition issues due to altitude changes (which is why I recommended the more direct and flat I-10 route). It's an old car, stuff's bound to happen--I do hope she has an AAA card and I wish her the best of luck on her journey. Cool
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting altitude problems. Not sure how many of you know this, but New Mexico has the highest average elevation more then any other state. Its at 4500 feet average. Someone in El Paso hopefully will sort it all out. West Texas is not place to break down. There ain't nothing out there.
Keep us posted.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning all. Sheila apparently wont run while now in El Paso. I searched 4 names of the type2 rescue but unknown if she made contact by the early evening. Sheila's driver relayed to me "with a presumed case of vapor lock". She completely removed the gas cap and Sheila started. I'm gonna see what El Paso has for air-cooled VW shops to, at a minimum, look at the car.

To reply to coad, "take advantage of a system designed for emergencies", if your mom, wife, or sister was 1000 miles away and the car quit running would you consider this an "emergency"? I do. Sure some of the folks on type2 rescue state call in an emergency only but most folks are tickled pink to chat and socialize with VW travelers.

To my59, she is a car person and luvs her VW, trading in a relatively new water-cooled air-conditioned Honda Element to give Sheila a continued lease on life. I pleaded with her to take a different car or look into options such as shipping it but finances forced her to use her only car. She is a college educated hardcore girl and have total support for her to make the best choices with the cards delt to her. But when you are stranded anywhere this is a different game with potential consequences.

Bill
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were All glad to meet/help Antoinette (Bugsy Malone). Both of these girls will learn a lot about Beetles on their Adventures. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
To reply to coad, "take advantage of a system designed for emergencies", if your mom, wife, or sister was 1000 miles away and the car quit running would you consider this an "emergency"? I do. Sure some of the folks on type2 rescue state call in an emergency only but most folks are tickled pink to chat and socialize with VW travelers.

No, in that case I would send them a bus ticket, money, whatever, or failing that I would get in a car and go deal with it myself. I wouldn't expect total strangers to handle my business.

She reminds me of the idiots who announce they're going to cross the Atlantic in a canoe, and three days later the Coast Guard has to spend time and money searching for them and rescuing their goofy asses.

She obviously doesn't have a car capable of making the trip. Now she's making her poor judgment/lack of planning everyone else's problem. From what I gather reading this thread she's already scored a clutch, a distributor, points, and who knows what else, so more power to her. By the time she hits New Orleans she'll probably have a brand new engine.

To me she's a rolling panhandler, and I don't see much difference between what she's doing and the guy standing at the off-ramp begging for change.

But I guess I'm just old fashioned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Traveling from Los Angeles to New Orleans. Reply with quote

coad wrote:

She reminds me of the idiots who announce they're going to cross the Atlantic in a canoe, and three days later the Coast Guard has to spend time and money searching for them and rescuing their goofy asses.

That is too funny. I'm sure you heard the CG had to rescue some clown off Florida a couple days ago. He was trying to go from Miami to the Bahamas in a giant gerbil ball looking thing. They told him not to do it--he tried anyway--ended up damn near dead from exhaustion somewhere off Ft. Lauderdale. If I were the CG I would have used him for target practice so he wouldn't be able to try it again. Wink
abritinthebay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
But I guess I'm just old fashioned.

... no, mostly just an asshole.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: