Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Traveling from Los Angeles to New Orleans.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BugsyMalone wrote:
Hello, I am driving through from vancouver canada to the florida keys in a 73 beetle.

I want all the info I can possibly get my hands on: from suggestions on where to stay, what to see, do and to connect with felllow drivers/enthusiasts along the route. Any suggestions?

For example depending where you are from what are the best vw parts stores & mechanics in the area(although I spent the summer restoring my beast I would still love to have help on hand if needed)

If you have done any traveling please forward any intel over.

I am also dirtbagging along the way(I built a bug bed). If you have any info of any cheap or free campsites along the way.

Whatever you have is valued. And Yes I know I am crazy but I want an adventure!

Cheers,

Bugsy Malone

Ps. Route planned so far I_5 & PCH101 south and then not sure. Whatever you have recommend is appreciated.
Cities I plan to visit Portland-San Fran-LA-San Diego-PalmSprings-Phoenix-NewOrleans-Tampa-Miami-FloridaKeys(anything else is fair game).

BugsyMalone wrote:

I know my clutch needs to be replaced and I know as some point on my trip I will need to call a VW enthusiast for help.

I will bring all the tools and parts with me but I just wanted to post this just so everyone knows.

Ant(aka Bugsy Malone)

Im with Coad on this one..she's nothing but a dirtbagger with a carload of parts,hustling her way to a running car..
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Traveling Freind Reply with quote

Hi Bill............. Just wanted to give a shout out from one OLD VW tech to another.......
since I haven't seen you here in quite awhile.

But, I am pleased to see you are your old kind self and helping others here
find their way on the road. Wink

Chris. aka = old DKP driver
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Chris for the kind words. It is good to hear from you also. I am in a somewhat somber mood about this post. I'm thinking WTF, what did I do wrong so this doesn't happen again? Sheila was a barn find '71 Super that had been sitting in a barn/warehouse for about 13 years, with some other classic veh's, as the owner died. Sheila's new owner received her around 3 years ago at about 115,000 miles with a still original motor, trans, and front end. With a limited budget I have kept this original ride going for her, and it has been tough. Sheila was used exclusively around the Los Angeles area. About a couple months ago I was advised that she was going to accept a somewhat lucrative job gig in New Orleans. Initially, I advised her of the cars needed work and suggested some alternate transportation but did not hear from her for an additional 6 weeks when she gave me a week to prep Sheila for the 1800 mile journey. All checked well but the motor just has too many miles to make the journey. With no other car available she departed LA on Oct 05, 2014. She has had problems in Flagstaff, El Paso, San Antonio, and finally Houston where she was towed to a VW shop and it was suggested to have the engine rebuilt. Subsequently, Sheila was dolly towed to New Orleans where decisions will need to be made.
An early answer to this post Mike Fisher mentioned type2.com/rescue which I used to locate assistance where Sheila had stopped. A few folks were able to help but it took over 10 contacts in each area to locate someone to help. I'm guessing the type2.com site has been abandoned but the contact info still exists. I guess the end statement is that Sheila and her driver had arrived at the intended destination safely but very late and not the way she expected. I am concerned that I did the correct thing in performing repairs/maintenance in a budget minded concept which gave the owner a thought that Sheila could go anywhere.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abritinthebay wrote:
coad wrote:
But I guess I'm just old fashioned.

... no, mostly just an asshole.

Thank you my Calif brother.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
She has had problems in Flagstaff, El Paso, San Antonio, and finally Houston where she was towed to a VW shop and it was suggested to have the engine rebuilt. Subsequently, Sheila was dolly towed to New Orleans

Gosh, never saw that coming.

Oh wait, yes I did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
I'm thinking WTF, what did I do wrong so this doesn't happen again? With a limited budget I have kept this original ride going for her, and it has been tough. Initially, I advised her of the cars needed work and suggested some alternate transportation but did not hear from her for an additional 6 weeks when she gave me a week to prep Sheila for the 1800 mile journey. All checked well but the motor just has too many miles to make the journey. I am concerned that I did the correct thing in performing repairs/maintenance in a budget minded concept which gave the owner a thought that Sheila could go anywhere.

It sounds to me like you did good work for a client with unreal expectations. It's about all you can do. The owner figured she would run into people like you who could keep her ride going and they did until it couldn't be done anymore. Could have been worse; nothing going quite sucks like pulling plates off a car and giving the shop owner a set of keys and then thumbing a ride.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he's an old fashioned asshole, but I'd have to agree taking off in a junk car is a bit shortsighted Sad
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, after reading this thread, I have to side with her taking advantage and mooching off the kindness of others. The fact that she left on a cross country trip w/a worn out clutch and motor and asked for all the HELP she could get BEFORE she departed, speaks volumes...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine me holding a cardboard sign by the side of the road it reads

Broke down old Vw mechanic also a veteran. I need a beer our whatever money you can give to help. Thanks and God bless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all: if you would like to help an old mechanic pm me or contact Glenn he's got my contact info. All donations are appreciated.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
The Quaint Gypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, she made it all the way back to Portland, OR so she did something right; but her engine seized, so she did something wrong. She never posted more than something about the main seal seizing (?) and nothing more. Maybe someday she will come back and post on her page what actually occurred.

I helped her with the car down in So Cal, and it had its issue, and she learned as she went along. She asked how to do something if she did not know and did not expect anyone to do it all for her but was hands-on in the repair or maintenance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: