Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back in the land of air cooled after 15 years
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeinColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Back in the land of air cooled after 15 years Reply with quote

Well, I did it...I am back into air cooled...
I had a 71 and 59 bug in college then got into vintage American...
Recently I picked up a 1991 Audi 200 20Vt and got to thinking German again..
Tonight I picked up a 73 Squareback...
Engine is currently in the back seat.. a few holes in the pan...one toasted rocker panel... front fenders need love..
It was mistakenly advertised as a GTV car...it's not... Steering wheel is a re-manufactured unit and the empi sprint stars are too nice to be original.. I will check the stamping, but I doubt they are.

I have four boys....yes four... 8,6, and 1 year old twins...
I plan on working on this with them and it will be part of their Christmas present..What kid does not want a vintage VW to fix up with dad??? Ideally the kid will have a nice car to drive when they are older..SOOO pics...it was on here for sale a while ago and advertised as a GTV...Step one: Assess the situation...I have to catalog all the parts I have and clean this beast out...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice. My dad said if I wanted a vw to fix I need to go buy one. He helped drag it home. Laughing I was 13 & saved my money & bought a fibreglass body dune buggy. Have fun with the kids
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '73 had the 1 year only 3.88 'freeway flyer' Type 3 transmission if it is still in there? Put up WTB ads in Type 3 Parts for any parts you need for it.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 73s are coming out of the woodwork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
The '73 had the 1 year only 3.88 'freeway flyer' Type 3 transmission if it is still in there? Put up WTB ads in Type 3 Parts for any parts you need for it.

An alternative would be to look thru the classifieds for any parts you might need. Then, put up a WTB ad. Wink

Welcome to the forum. It's nice seeing some late models getting some love. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MikeinColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check the trans today when I start my inventory and the "great garage reorganization"
I did score some sweet pop outs and I am currently need to decide type 4 or 2110. I think I will honor the spirit of the car and try to do an "authentic" GTV with some real empi parts... I am thinking metal flake green with some white rally stripes and low back seats... dare to dream of a rag top sunroof..
MikeinColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
looks nice. My dad said if I wanted a vw to fix I need to go buy one. He helped drag it home. Laughing I was 13 & saved my money & bought a fibreglass body dune buggy. Have fun with the kids

I am a single dad so quality time in the garage is always nice. I think by the time my oldest takes his drivers test, we will have a pretty nice car for him to do it in.
MikeinColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started cleaning out the garage and the 73...
First...in the light..

Organizing has begun..

AND...my first WTF moment... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

This was someone's half assed attempt to run a single carb....
I am sure I will find more of these the more I get into the car...
MikeinColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on starting to assess the car. I know rockers are needed, pan has a few tiny holes and heater channels are not pretty.

I assume suspension can be checked by 12 o'clock position and wiggling...
Would it be best to pull the body and weld or?
Fenders I need to look at body shop vs repops...euro side marker fenders would be sweet..
Engine..I live at 6,000 feet and I am in the 2110 vs type four...there is a sick set of rebuilt type 4 carbs for sale out here for $250..will those bolt on to the stock block? It's been a while since I owned a type one...what size bolts will mount the block to my engine stand?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeinColorado wrote:
I plan on starting to assess the car. I know rockers are needed, pan has a few tiny holes and heater channels are not pretty.

I assume suspension can be checked by 12 o'clock position and wiggling...
Would it be best to pull the body and weld or?
Fenders I need to look at body shop vs repops...euro side marker fenders would be sweet..

Do you have a Bentley manual? If not, get one before you start digging too deep.

As for whether or not to pull the body, it really depends on how far you're planning to go. Look at what Monte and Clatter are currently doing, along with having a look at the links in my signature. Those should give you some ideas of what you're up against IF you decide to pull the body off.

As for fenders, there are NO REPOPS, so find a good body shop, or start hunting down better parts to start with. The side marker lights can be added by cutting the appropriate sized hole, and installing them.

As for checking the suspension, it's covered in the front axle section in Bentley, but the most common issue is the upper sway bar adjustment (or lack of it). That proceedure is covered in Bentley too, along with being in the forum (search function will help).
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MikeinColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT totally does. I have time with this car and for once in my life...I don't have to drive to work what I am fixing up. Basically 8 years til the oldest turns 16. Yes I am massively tempted to throw the engine in and tool around...but my gut says to do it right. Slow and patient...do the car some justice.

http://www.vwispwest.com/pg105/ ISP appear to get parts from time to time. The heater channels are unacceptable. As is the drivers rocker panel.
I have a friend in town from when I was back in Chicago who now lives in Colorado, he has a vw resto business. He has been a good sport and helped me lower my first bug back in 1995. Considering my DD is a vintage Audi...yeah hard to find parts I totally get that. Audi does ZERO for their older models.

So now I will add to my Bentley collection. Very Happy

Thanks I do appreciate the advice.. It has been a while with an air cooled and I am here to learn and listen.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems really strange that someone was willing to give up a flat cargo floor area in a square back for a single carb. Seen a lot of that kinda thing in notches and fasties where the rear trunk was used for engine bay, carbs, velocity stacks, air filters, turbos, Subaru motors, etc, but its a crying shame to put a bump in the floor of a square back. You can't even go to ikea and by some flat pack if you ain't got a flat back.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Back in the land of air cooled after 15 years Reply with quote

MikeinColorado wrote:
I plan on working on this with them and it will be part of their Christmas present..What kid does not want a vintage VW to fix up with dad??? Ideally the kid will have a nice car to drive when they are older..

Four boys and ONE Squareback... a Christmas present for them?

Might sound like a fine idea now, but good luck when the second one also hits driving age. Laughing And you're screwed when the first one wants to move out of the house.

Better start looking for three more Squarebacks to restore. Fair is fair, Dad! Laughing
MikeinColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
Seems really strange that someone was willing to give up a flat cargo floor area in a square back for a single carb. Seen a lot of that kinda thing in notches and fasties where the rear trunk was used for engine bay, carbs, velocity stacks, air filters, turbos, Subaru motors, etc, but its a crying shame to put a bump in the floor of a square back. You can't even go to ikea and by some flat pack if you ain't got a flat back.

I was quite vexed to find this "mod"
MikeinColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Back in the land of air cooled after 15 years Reply with quote

They are getting other things too. Right now, at this age, it's about time spent with them in the garage. That my friend, is priceless.

WD-40 wrote:
MikeinColorado wrote:
I plan on working on this with them and it will be part of their Christmas present..What kid does not want a vintage VW to fix up with dad??? Ideally the kid will have a nice car to drive when they are older..

Four boys and ONE Squareback... a Christmas present for them?

Might sound like a fine idea now, but good luck when the second one also hits driving age. Laughing And you're screwed when the first one wants to move out of the house.

Better start looking for three more Squarebacks to restore. Fair is fair, Dad! Laughing
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some fibreglass reproduction fenders available. I would try to hunt down some good used stuff, better to have it as close to original as possible. Get the kids all suited up & start stripping off the paint & see how much work they need, a little hammer & dolly workshop, some welding classes & you will be home schooling type 3 rebuilding classes. Best of luck.
MikeinColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...no fiberglass. I know the bottom of the drivers side fender is shot and there is a nasty bondo mess on the top of the passenger fender.

eyetzr wrote:
There are some fibreglass reproduction fenders available. I would try to hunt down some good used stuff, better to have it as close to original as possible. Get the kids all suited up & start stripping off the paint & see how much work they need, a little hammer & dolly workshop, some welding classes & you will be home schooling type 3 rebuilding classes. Best of luck.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is only the bottom of the fender, might be a easy fix (with some help) usually around the headlamps it gets messy. Joel (bookooz) has a good stock of fenders & he will cut up a fender if you only need a piece. I would leave the body work until you get it running & then decide if you should tackle the body work with your crew. Wink
MikeinColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take photos after work. I still need to decide type 4 or 2110.
I have concerns about the potential for overheating from the 2110 on mountain passes. I read that under the 2110 vs type 4 thread.
Colorado Springs is at roughly 6,000 feet and even Running to Woodland Park is a substantial climb.

eyetzr wrote:
If it is only the bottom of the fender, might be a easy fix (with some help) usually around the headlamps it gets messy. Joel (bookooz) has a good stock of fenders & he will cut up a fender if you only need a piece. I would leave the body work until you get it running & then decide if you should tackle the body work with your crew. Wink
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out Nate's shop car build. Type 4 power looks intriguing & I am on the fence as to what I would build if I did this all over again. I run a 2074 dual webers, California & back to Toronto. A little concern with over heating in the desert (118 degrees that day) but over all great fun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: