Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to 3d print?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a new era!!! Printing out vintage VW parts!!! I made this by looking at pictures online and measuring the holes in the floor pan and mat. Came out perfect! Grey one is ABS, Red one is PLA. I'll post a link to the file soon. What's next?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I'll take one Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the little white lock on the inside of the sliding door?

Mine is busted and I'm sure I'm not the only one!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocketSurgeon those look great! Could you print the ABS one in black? I'd buy a bunch to sell them if you did!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
For a handle that will end up being made by a different method, for a product that is, obsolete.....and will probably differ in material and is not or never has been a corporate icon or trade symbol.....no.....you will not need permission or copyright.

This is no different than a car company making a unique sized piston for a vehicle.....a part that is not a major cornerstone of the advertizing or image, the part is no longer used for current vehicles......and a replacement part is made two decades later for repair by aftermarket companies. No different than buying a water pump from a flaps.

However....the logo may be a problem. VW is notoriously vicious in their protection of their logo. Its been less policed over the last decade but back around 2000-2005.....VW appeared to have an entire contingent of "logo police" that spent time searching for copyrighted logo violations.
I worked for a large commercial print company back on 2001. We made about 100 different images on small business card sized blanks that, featured lenticular image flip treatment....just for sales samples to showcase new print technology.

Maybe 3000 pieces in all. Nothing for sale. One of them had a picture of the new VW domed look logo that the late 90s VWs were sporting. A picture of one of these cards made it into the sample photo gallery on the, company website among a pile of about 50 other logos and photos. It was not in any way "featuring" the VW logo.

We got a nasty cease and desist letter from the VW legal, dept. within about a month. I have met numerous companies that have had the same treatment since that time.....some made T-shirts.....some made aftermarket parts for ACVW.....none represented a profit loss for VW.

They appear to rightfully care more about the usage of their logo and not about any potential royalties as several of the companies even offered to pay a royalty. VW was not interested.

I have not seen this happen in a while. Though VW in the past decade seems to have better wmbraced their past cars as part of their image.....I would bet they might still have an issue if the part with their logo gets used in any public negative ways.

Ray

Ray,

I was deep in the hobby at the time that VWoA went logo-mad. It turns out that they farmed out the discovery of infringement and C&Ds to the Continental law firm who went absolutely mad because they were, naturally, working on commission.

This doesn't let VWoA off the hook. They stood up and solemnly swore to everyone that the crackdown was their legal obligation: you have to enforce your trademark or risk losing it. What they didn't say was that they didn't give any of their C&D victims any opportunity to become compliant....because VWoA doesn't license their trademark to anyone.

Some of their victims were minor and unfortunate bystanders. Some of them were plowed under just because they hung up a vintage sign rescued from an old dealership beside their shop (including Lenny Copp of West Coast Classics in Fullerton, CA.) They drove Rocky Mountain Motorworks out of business, and Mid-America Direct bought the scraps. Everyone else got the picture and jettisoned anything with the VW logo on, in or near them. Advertisements were quickly stripped of the VW gumball and disclaimers added that their business "is not affiliated or associated with Volkswagen of America."

The sad part was the the whole vintage community (with the major magazine editors acting as spokesmen) tried to reason with VWoA; "We'll pay any reasonable fee to license the trademark for repro parts. Stop shooting at us, we're your biggest fans!"

By the time VWoA pulled back on Continental's leash, the damage was done: "My air-cooled VW is the last VW I'll ever buy." THAT type of statement was the only thing that got VWoA's attention. They put their own reputation with their own fans into the ground like a dart.

I am one of the people who made that statement at the time. I honor it to this day and will not have a VW logo anywhere on my Bus when it is complete. To hell with them. VWoA (who was never friendly to the customizers who flocked to their cars) maintains this trademark policy to this day. It makes you wonder, why do you see Ford and Chevy logos all over the place? Don't they have to protect their trademark or lose it?

Yes they do. The way they protect it is to license it very inexpensively so that vendors are compliant, Ford & GM are compliant and everybody wins.

VWoA has always been deeply conservative in engaging fans of their marquee: Ask anyone who has worked in management at a VW dealership at any point since 1960.

VWoA's problem is that they use high-power automatic weapons to shoot themselves in the foot, then also take out everyone else's feet, the floor, parts of the walls, some of the landscaping and several perfectly innocent asteroids.

M
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:

VWoA's problem is that they use high-power automatic weapons to shoot themselves in the foot, then also take out everyone else's feet, the floor, parts of the walls, some of the landscaping and several perfectly innocent asteroids.

So that's why so many buses have holes in the floor……

Wink

That's great stuff to add, thanks for the info!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
webwalker wrote:

So that's why so many buses have holes in the floor……

Wink

That's great stuff to add, thanks for the info!

I appreciate it. It is a situation I wish I were ignorant of.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
For a handle that will end up being made by a different method, for a product that is, obsolete.....and will probably differ in material and is not or never has been a corporate icon or trade symbol.....no.....you will not need permission or copyright.

This is no different than a car company making a unique sized piston for a vehicle.....a part that is not a major cornerstone of the advertizing or image, the part is no longer used for current vehicles......and a replacement part is made two decades later for repair by aftermarket companies. No different than buying a water pump from a flaps.

However....the logo may be a problem. VW is notoriously vicious in their protection of their logo. Its been less policed over the last decade but back around 2000-2005.....VW appeared to have an entire contingent of "logo police" that spent time searching for copyrighted logo violations.
I worked for a large commercial print company back on 2001. We made about 100 different images on small business card sized blanks that, featured lenticular image flip treatment....just for sales samples to showcase new print technology.

Maybe 3000 pieces in all. Nothing for sale. One of them had a picture of the new VW domed look logo that the late 90s VWs were sporting. A picture of one of these cards made it into the sample photo gallery on the, company website among a pile of about 50 other logos and photos. It was not in any way "featuring" the VW logo.

We got a nasty cease and desist letter from the VW legal, dept. within about a month. I have met numerous companies that have had the same treatment since that time.....some made T-shirts.....some made aftermarket parts for ACVW.....none represented a profit loss for VW.

They appear to rightfully care more about the usage of their logo and not about any potential royalties as several of the companies even offered to pay a royalty. VW was not interested.

I have not seen this happen in a while. Though VW in the past decade seems to have better wmbraced their past cars as part of their image.....I would bet they might still have an issue if the part with their logo gets used in any public negative ways.

Ray

Ray,

I was deep in the hobby at the time that VWoA went logo-mad. It turns out that they farmed out the discovery of infringement and C&Ds to the Continental law firm who went absolutely mad because they were, naturally, working on commission.

This doesn't let VWoA off the hook. They stood up and solemnly swore to everyone that the crackdown was their legal obligation: you have to enforce your trademark or risk losing it. What they didn't say was that they didn't give any of their C&D victims any opportunity to become compliant....because VWoA doesn't license their trademark to anyone.

Some of their victims were minor and unfortunate bystanders. Some of them were plowed under just because they hung up a vintage sign rescued from an old dealership beside their shop (including Lenny Copp of West Coast Classics in Fullerton, CA.) They drove Rocky Mountain Motorworks out of business, and Mid-America Direct bought the scraps. Everyone else got the picture and jettisoned anything with the VW logo on, in or near them. Advertisements were quickly stripped of the VW gumball and disclaimers added that their business "is not affiliated or associated with Volkswagen of America."

The sad part was the the whole vintage community (with the major magazine editors acting as spokesmen) tried to reason with VWoA; "We'll pay any reasonable fee to license the trademark for repro parts. Stop shooting at us, we're your biggest fans!"

By the time VWoA pulled back on Continental's leash, the damage was done: "My air-cooled VW is the last VW I'll ever buy." THAT type of statement was the only thing that got VWoA's attention. They put their own reputation with their own fans into the ground like a dart.

I am one of the people who made that statement at the time. I honor it to this day and will not have a VW logo anywhere on my Bus when it is complete. To hell with them. VWoA (who was never friendly to the customizers who flocked to their cars) maintains this trademark policy to this day. It makes you wonder, why do you see Ford and Chevy logos all over the place? Don't they have to protect their trademark or lose it?

Yes they do. The way they protect it is to license it very inexpensively so that vendors are compliant, Ford & GM are compliant and everybody wins.

VWoA has always been deeply conservative in engaging fans of their marquee: Ask anyone who has worked in management at a VW dealership at any point since 1960.

M

Spot on Ray...

What VWOA did was use a shotgun to solve what they deemed were too many fly's. Everyone knows how that's going to end d'oh!

In the end to this day VW lost a boat load of customers and the slogan 'The people's car'. VW will never be the VW they were intended to be.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....it is sad.
On the quality and service side....these days for the most part VW is wprking pretty hard. The car quality is pretty damn high, yhe design as usual is a cut above the herd....and the fit and finish is awesome.
I have a 2012 golf that is a fantastic vehicle. I have worked on and driven enough Toyotas and Hondas to know I would never buy one......and I would not force a GM on anyone.
you have to drive something for a daily and with as many miles as I log in sub zero weather. ...Im not risky my prize 412 on a daily basis. Not a reliability issue.....a patts availability issue if you get hit.
so for the money. ...I still drive a VW. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray does your Golf have the 2.5 engine?

Today was my last day as a fan of VWoA, when I found out the way they made the valve cover and PCV valve the same part with no service possibilities. My boss and I drive the same year and trim Jetta, so I'm always offering to work on his as practice for mine Cool but this time I'm really pissed. Aftermarket companies make a $15 diaphragm to replace his ripped PCV valve, but how hard would it be to sell a genuine VW one? This is total planned obsolescence and it's despicable. $250 and about three hours to unnecessarily replace the valve cover and valve cover gasket versus half an hour for just servicing the valve? Nope.

I'm completely miffed by this.

Robbie
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Today was my last day as a fan of VWoA, when I found out the way they made the valve cover and PCV valve the same part with no service possibilities. My boss and I drive the same year and trim Jetta, so I'm always offering to work on his as practice for mine Cool but this time I'm really pissed. Aftermarket companies make a $15 diaphragm to replace his ripped PCV valve, but how hard would it be to sell a genuine VW one? This is total planned obsolescence and it's despicable. $250 and about three hours to unnecessarily replace the valve cover and valve cover gasket versus half an hour for just servicing the valve? Nope.

Robbie

Think that is bad? How about this...

The idle air control valve is an item that can be easily cleaned by anyone to make it puuuuuur again. But for someone who's not willing to take the 5 min to do it themselves this is how Toyota remedies the situation...

They charge a customer for a new IAC valve incl. labor...$6XX.XX

That's right $6XX.XX for something that in all likelihood needed absolutely no replacing but just a quick 5 min job to clean.

Nothing more than highway robbery if you ask me.

Then let's not even get into the Toyota 2.4L 2AZ-FE stripped head bolt issue that many have been plagued with...easily $4000 - 7000 for the repair of a manufactures defect.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

I have the 2.5 With 5 speed. I had a 2006 jetta with 2.5 and 5 speed before it. Drove it to 120k miles no problems whatsoever and trtraded it in. High trade in value.

Yes the valve cover and PCV valve are one molded unit. If you study the molding of that part and the material you will understand why they mold it with few if any bolt in accessories.

It would be exceedingly rare to lose the diaphram on that engine before about 150k miles.
2-3 hours?......its, generally about 1.5 hours round trip for changing one of those valve covers in my experience. I have done two of them on other cars.
Each time the reason for changeout was that the owner cracked the cover while working on other items like the coils.

I was at first mystified as to why they made the cover out of plastic. A couple of dealer techs noted that the plastic valve covers are more quiet for one and rarely leak as compared to metal ones due to better expansion and flexibility characteristics. That does seem to be the case as I have yet to see one on those that I have worked on.

I generally have found OEM valve cover kits for between $90 and $125.

I am not pissed at VW at all. There are items on the cars that piss me off.....like for one....the Bosch designed wiper motor unit which contains the logic circuit for the rain detector. It has a clip system that holds the lid on and a molded silicone gasket that one might use on an electronic relay in a machine cabinet......but is ludicrous under the hood. Water collects on the seam....it freezes and prys the two case halves apart causing the unit to leak and fail. Cant replace the motor. The whole wiper unit is $330.
I learned from a dealer tech to take my brand new car and apply a fine line of polyester adhesive to the seam. It will never fail now.
And.....the premium stereo. The Bosch unit used on Euro vehicles....has no issues. The exact replica of it made by Delphi usex on US market vehicles has glitches. My CD player dies at 50k miles. Replacement is $1200....or $600 for refurb. I bought a chdcked out mint condition used one for $310.

But...being that I drive a lot of other makes and models as rentals.....I can tell you there is nothing, else made by anyone in this price range, with these amenities, this fit and finish, with this performance and this level of technology.
Honda is close.....but hae no soul and very plastic fit/finish.
I will no longer grace GM products with a test, drive. Ford products....best on this continent....but an embarrasing level of styling and ergonomics and finish for the money.

So my point is that if uou must drive or need an up to date vehicle.....you are stuck with items like we are complaining about here in EVERY make. Vw just happens to have fewer issues and more bang for the buck. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Heathintexas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skid wrote:

Same here! Does anyone know the art number for that?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
This is total planned obsolescence and it's despicable. $250 and about three hours to unnecessarily replace the valve cover and valve cover gasket versus half an hour for just servicing the valve? Nope.

Robbie

you ain't seen nothing yet.....

wait till OBD3 comes to the masses...

good links here:

http://tomdwyer.com/2014/uncategorized/is-big-brother-your-co-pilot/

I say f*ck California. let's all hope it takes the next left in to the pacific and takes CARB with them

Volvo will be implementing telematics pretty soon (think on star)

I have seen them (in person) immobilize a car from a cell phone. think "Goodfella's"

your check engine light on-fuck you, pay me

you miss a payment-fuck you pay me

you were on the phone and killed my wife-fuck you, pay me

we (at the dealer level) can data log shit that would twist your mind like play-doh

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
wait till OBD3 comes to the masses...

This would be a perfect topic in the General/Chat or Off-Topic section. I imagine people would like to weigh in with their opinion.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 3d printer, a full mold shop with plastic and.....an aluminum foundry ,with no bake sand and a patternmaker. Cool bring it on.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatedanrhoads wrote:
i have a 3d printer, a full mold shop with plastic and.....an aluminum foundry ,with no bake sand and a patternmaker. Cool bring it on.

Cool, can you show some of the stuff you've made?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heathintexas wrote:
skid wrote:

Same here! Does anyone know the part number for that?

x3
Rather than a part number, what we need for 3D printing is an STL file. I've not worked with these, but am interested in learning. I have access to SolidWorks through our high school robotics program. Is there freely-available software to make these shapes?

Here is a similar knob for split buses. Any idea if it would fit?
http://www.bustoration.com/Knob-Inside-Cargo-Door-Lock-With-Pin-Bus-50-67Ea-IVORY_p_2131.html

Also - another shape needed:

There is a rubber seal that goes between the single cab storage compartment lock and the door. It is similar to the engine compartment and other lock seals, but not interchangeable. I recently came across one of these in very good condition, and this specimen could be used to make others somehow, I am sure.

How do we take an existing small part (like the storage compartment lock seal) and reproduce it? Can it be done in rubber like the original, or would we have to settle for hard plastic?

Thoughts?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Heathintexas wrote:
skid wrote:

Same here! Does anyone know the part number for that?

x3
Rather than a part number, what we need for 3D printing is an STL file. I've not worked with these, but am interested in learning. I have access to SolidWorks through our high school robotics program. Is there freely-available software to make these shapes?

Also - another shape needed:

There is a rubber seal that goes between the single cab storage compartment lock and the door. It is similar to the engine compartment and other lock seals, but not interchangeable. I recently came across one of these in very good condition, and this specimen could be used to make others somehow, I am sure.

How do we take an existing small part (like the storage compartment lock seal) and reproduce it? Can it be done in rubber like the original, or would we have to settle for hard plastic?

Thoughts?

Solid works is not free or dirt cheap. Many commercial 3D machining houses also can use "Inventor"....which is the CAD version of solidworks.

It works from a CAD wireframe into 3D renderng.

Some hard plastic parts are better built...depending on finish....by 3D machining. Others with textrure and fine finish "may" do better with 3D printing.

Rubber parts will need to be cast or molded. There is a difference in casting, pressure casting and basic molding and injection molding.
What your part requires...or what you are willing to get away with depends on the type of rubber and how long you want it to last.

The more industrial/or resilient the rubber type....the harder it is to cast/mold properly...in general. When you start getting into the hard synthetic rubber resins....you need to have either good well polished molds than can handle heat and pressure...or ablative molds that you can melt or dissolve away to demold a part. Ray
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Rubber parts will need to be cast or molded. There is a difference in casting, pressure casting and basic molding and injection molding.
What your part requires...or what you are willing to get away with depends on the type of rubber and how long you want it to last.

The more industrial/or resilient the rubber type....the harder it is to cast/mold properly...in general. When you start getting into the hard synthetic rubber resins....you need to have either good well polished molds than can handle heat and pressure...or ablative molds that you can melt or dissolve away to demold a part. Ray

So, what do you think would be an appropriate path forward for reproducing a rubber lock seal? It would have to be very tough, I'd think. What does West Coast Metric do, for example, to reproduce their seals?

I could contact WCM, but I'm going to guess that they have little interest due to the small market for this particular part.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: