Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kit car body prep questions
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
darisb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Kit car body prep questions Reply with quote

I am building a 550 Spyder kit. Some of the body surfaces have a micro-egg crate texture. That's the best way I can describe it. I would like to smooth out these surfaces, before the body goes to the painter. One guy on a 550 forum suggested mixing microballons with gel coat.

Few of the surfaces on the body are flat. They are either convexed or concaved. I'm thinking a sanding block with not work too well on the concaved surfaces.

The surfaces that I need to resurface are:

Front inner fender wells - vertical/concaved
Front firewall - vertical and overhead/relatively flat
Rear firewall - vertical/flat
Underside rear bonnet - removable/mildly concaved.

I have very little body work and/or fiberglass experience, so i need specific advice on products, tools and processes. I have a 60 gallon compressor, HF HVLP spray guns, sears spray gun with a big tip.
darisb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some additional reading. I think I'm going to get a flexible sanding block, and hit the areas with 80 grit. I'll spray the areas with a couple coats of Evercoat Feather Fill G2.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice.

Some helpful hints:
- If you don't have a 2.0 tip then its OK to reduce the G2 with up to 10% acetone to help the sprayability.
- I personally like the buff color...I don't know why but it seems easier to apply than the gray.
- Get some guidecoat. The G2 can sometimes come out a little textured. The guidecoat will help a lot in your sanding.
- You want to finish with 400 grit for solids or 600 grit for metallic.
- You don't reduce the G2 so you will probably need 2 gallons to have enough to spray, sand, re-spray and sand again.
- G2 is porous so you don't want to leave it unpainted long.
- some suggest sealer after the G2 but its not needed. It won't hurt, but is not required.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to wash all the areas really well with wax & grease remover before you start sanding. The mold release agents that are used are tough to put product over.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

320 grit & flexible sanding block
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: