Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter Bushing Replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwt14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Starter Bushing Replacement Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am sure this has been covered many times and may be a really stupid question but how do I replace the starter bushing? All I can find are how to remove the old one, which I have already got out. The new bushing is quite a bit thicker than the old one. I thought you would just tap a new one in with a hammer but it looks way to large (thickness of metal) for the new one to fit. Sorry if this has be covered, I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks!
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have the wrong size bushing as it should easily be tapped in.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=323827

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to provide more information.

Like what year is your transmission. Is your starter to be 6 volt or 12 volt, and what was the starter before?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vwt14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry to be so vague. So I am replacing my starter on a 1973 Beetle, 12 volt. I ordered a Euromax starter from Cip1. The starter comes with a bushing included. I am only doing a direct replacement, not installing a high torque or autostick starter or anything like that. The old bushing if I go to install it again, fits just snugly in the hole and could be easily tapped into the transmission. The new bushing appears to have slightly thicker walls and is slightly larger in diameter and does not appear to even come close to being able to tap the bushing in. Does this make sense?

Thanks.
caffeinebean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the old one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, don't get another bushing.

Send the Euromax back and pay the extra money for a rebuilt Bosch auto-stik starter. No bushing is required Laughing

Also, the starter has more power.

Tim
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take Tim Donahoe's advice - Euromax's stuff is pretty crappy...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a self supporting starter like the ones used in the type 3 engine setups. No worries ever since. No bushings needed. Later, I switched to the Hi Torque unit which is the same fitment as the non supporting starter
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to take the new bushing to the grinding wheel (or file) and chamfer the leading edge. Put just a slight bevel on that edge, and no further than the edge. That'll be enough to get it started in straight, then just tap it in the rest of the way. Don't forget to lube the inside of it before installing the starter.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too big = too big. Don't try to install the bearing, you might crack your transmission case.

Best option is to get a replacement bearing.. If you have the tools, measure ID of the bearing hole, OD of the old bearing, OD of new bearing, and see what you come up with.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Replacement Reply with quote

If you use the auto stick stsrter , do you take the old bushing out? Or do you leave the old bushing in and just remove and replace the starter?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Replacement Reply with quote

Leave the old bushing where it is. It doesn't interfere with the auto-stick in any respect.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Replacement Reply with quote

get a dial caliper and take off a few thousanths with sand paper. you have the old one to measure against leave some extra for fitment. I haave done this to valve guides. Never let a bushing get the better of you and stop you from getting a part installed. will make you second guess every decision you have made until that point.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Replacement Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Leave the old bushing where it is. It doesn't interfere with the auto-stick in any respect.

Tim

Seems like a no brainer to just use an autonstick starter, or am I missing something? Why would anyone go through the trouble of replacing that bushing and using a regular starter unless the engine was out?
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Replacement Reply with quote

usually because people feel confortable with the knowledge thet already have with a part, how long it last, what to worry about going bad, needing to change ect. ect.. Keeping a stock style is also a concern as well as reliance on more complicated or les complecated poor quality parts. Who cares. I always liked the bushing it makes the port serve a second purpouse other than easy access.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Replacement Reply with quote

The Bosch auto-stick starter is a stock part.

I got a Bosch auto-stick starter a few years back. No problems whatsoever. Easy to put in, too. No bushing worries at all.

The only reason I can think of why most owners don't install the auto-stick starter is because it costs more money than a regular starter.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Replacement Reply with quote

Where did you buy your starter?
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Replacement Reply with quote

John at aircooled has one.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: