Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Press Bumper Walk Throughs ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
That was confusing but I was talking about the Double-Door 23-window above:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BTW, that guy on the right there is a super nice guy, I have a man crush on him. Very Happy

Such a narcissist! Smile

Looks like you both are thinking the same thing:

"How can I get this home without the other guy noticing..."
TRG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it a flat decklid bus or "later 58" style? Hard to tell from pic. Wasn't sure if the flash was due to curve or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it... that's a brake light deck lid.
Two brake lights started April 5, 1957... so that makes the DD Deluxe a '57.... correct?
http://oacdp.org/progref4061/e009.jpg

Nevermind... just found a tidbit from Campingbox... and Everett said it was from Europe:
Brakelight decklids went up to April '58 for the semaphore models.
TRG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was on my phone and couldn't see the brakelight. on my desktop it looks as though there is in fact a brakelight. that's awesome.

although as everett mentioned, he was pretty sure it was a euro model. i believe brakelight decklids went til may of 58 on euro models, they changed to flat decklid for us spec in april of 57.

are the first few numbers of the vin available?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, you must've done an edit to your post while i was typing.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the VIN but Bob from BBT in Belgium owns it

Here's another pic

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everett. that thing is badass for sure.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happen to this press bumper panel walk thru?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=698197

Can anyone pull up the pictures from the add that showed the walk thru bulk head?
TRG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure about that bus.

as far as other pressed bumper walkthru buses...

the king panel(owned by UZI) i believe is a march of 58 wt.
it was owned by the same guy that i got my 58 ddwt from(dan). dan also claimed to have owned a pressed bumper wt 15 window at one time, and some of the parts on my bus are deluxe colors that he claimed came from the wt 15w.

i bought my bus march 13,2012. that same week there was a 58 ddwt for sale in the UK-2 tone blue. i think there was another in the UK that was a wt and restored? (i remember looking at the ads before i went to deal on the bus i have.)

wasn't there a 58 wt up in vermont a few years ago with an alien skateboards decal or something on it? wt sections were cut, but was an original wt. the owner also had a 15 window (non wt-non pressed bumper)

there are also photos on this site of a 57 ddwt with optional solid rear hatch-posted by barndoor mafia.

the 2 pgsg wt standards. Lind? and one in pacific nw?

i do not know any of these vin #'s. i tried to get some of them, but not much luck.

sorry if i am wrong on any of this, it's from memory.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norman wrote:

Can anyone pull up the pictures from the add that showed the walk thru bulk head?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early '58 (or earlier)... overhead vent has ribs. Has rear upper vents...
I contacted the seller in hopes of getting a VIN & to maybe ask the new owner to drop into this thread.

Last edited by easy e on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5044
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 18 or 19 years ago, I bought a walk-thru camper/panel here in Chico for $150. It had no interior or bumpers but came with two engines, one of which was a good "H" engine and is in my 1963 camper. The front seats were there. I believe it is a May 1958 bus. I still have it but I never finished the restoration.
I bought a 1958 walk-thru micro-bus here in Chico for $500, which included a really nice pressed front bumper. The bad news is that some idiot made a jeep out of it by installing two differentials and putting a Buick V-6 engine in the middle. Evil or Very Mad
bob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Several emails in my inbox this morning, so guess I have to step in here...

As for technical details about my bus plse ask Lind and Everret, they investigated my bus better as who ever...

But I can help You about the VIN, and because this seems to be a "nice"tread" I can reveal some details as well.

My double door deluxe is to me personally the most weird bus a man can own.... it can be easily considered as a real test car for the Wolfsburg factory for about 18 months from new... I have testamonies from old factory test drivers still alive who drove my bus close to 100mph over a test track in 1958!

How ever my bus didn't roll from the assembly line like it is, but, after assembling in Hannover on Feb 17 1958 it left Hannover in direction TE (Technische Entwickelung) in the Wolfsburg plant where it arrived Feb 26 1958. After it was already "transformed" from 8 seater in to 7 seven seater Type 24 into Type 25 paperwork for that was made up on feb 20 1958 already (my cargo floors also have the hook up for 3 row middle seat as a (central) 2 row!

They did a lot of more changes... some very extremly unique.

On June 16 1959 this car was delivered with a lot of hassle to the brand new founded Glider plane club of Wolfsburg. Founders and members of this club worked at the factory for sure, and many in test divisions, so they knew my deluxe very well... it was a hassle as my bus was never ever foreseen for the open market.

So it was not a Prototype, but a "Versuchswagen" (kind a test car) for 18 months in the VW factory... (documented!) .... and therefor this is to me one of the most special VW buses man can own and drive...

We did all welding by Europeans best body guy and made it a nice driver with original trans and a NOS out of the crate 1500cc engine ask Bill Bowmann my bus drives like a dream... wish I had some more time...Smile

All this just to explain You can not put my bus in the list with "production numbers" as it was a unique and special bus already in its own days....

But for the records the VIN is 329 207 Type 251 Eight seater L "Samba" build on feb 17 1958 and delivered on June 16 1959 to its "first" buyer (who got it more then likely for free as a sponsering)....

So now You know all of You about this little monster because some close friends and some other people asked me kindly to check into this tread, if You hear somebody talking bad mouth about my bus just kill him! My Bus is worth it...LOL

To Everett; Hey, we both looked way younger on that picture didn't we? I still had hair!

To Lind; No Lind sorry, I still don't want to swap this bus for your house yet....Smile

PS I still have more documentation, data and facts about my bus but guess this was crazy long enough for now,

PS2 sorry i don't write more here but I'm pretty busy with my company and like to spend my free time with my VW's, VW hunting and my family, I'm not a computer crazy guy at all, far more a VW guy....LOL

Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first four numbers of my walk-thru camper's VIN are 3715.
Brian_1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the story of your double door deluxe would you happen to know what motor they hadn't when they almost went hundred miles an hour.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob1 wrote:
Hi All

Several emails in my inbox this morning, so guess I have to step in here...

As for technical details about my bus plse ask Lind and Everret, they investigated my bus better as who ever...

But I can help You about the VIN, and because this seems to be a "nice"tread" I can reveal some details as well.

My double door deluxe is to me personally the most weird bus a man can own.... it can be easily considered as a real test car for the Wolfsburg factory for about 18 months from new... I have testamonies from old factory test drivers still alive who drove my bus close to 100mph over a test track in 1958!

How ever my bus didn't roll from the assembly line like it is, but, after assembling in Hannover on Feb 17 1958 it left Hannover in direction TE (Technische Entwickelung) in the Wolfsburg plant where it arrived Feb 26 1958. After it was already "transformed" from 8 seater in to 7 seven seater Type 24 into Type 25 paperwork for that was made up on feb 20 1958 already (my cargo floors also have the hook up for 3 row middle seat as a (central) 2 row!

They did a lot of more changes... some very extremly unique.

On June 16 1959 this car was delivered with a lot of hassle to the brand new founded Glider plane club of Wolfsburg. Founders and members of this club worked at the factory for sure, and many in test divisions, so they knew my deluxe very well... it was a hassle as my bus was never ever foreseen for the open market.

So it was not a Prototype, but a "Versuchswagen" (kind a test car) for 18 months in the VW factory... (documented!) .... and therefor this is to me one of the most special VW buses man can own and drive...

We did all welding by Europeans best body guy and made it a nice driver with original trans and a NOS out of the crate 1500cc engine ask Bill Bowmann my bus drives like a dream... wish I had some more time...Smile

All this just to explain You can not put my bus in the list with "production numbers" as it was a unique and special bus already in its own days....

But for the records the VIN is 329 207 Type 251 Eight seater L "Samba" build on feb 17 1958 and delivered on June 16 1959 to its "first" buyer (who got it more then likely for free as a sponsering)....

So now You know all of You about this little monster because some close friends and some other people asked me kindly to check into this tread, if You hear somebody talking bad mouth about my bus just kill him! My Bus is worth it...LOL

To Everett; Hey, we both looked way younger on that picture didn't we? I still had hair!

To Lind; No Lind sorry, I still don't want to swap this bus for your house yet....Smile

PS I still have more documentation, data and facts about my bus but guess this was crazy long enough for now,

PS2 sorry i don't write more here but I'm pretty busy with my company and like to spend my free time with my VW's, VW hunting and my family, I'm not a computer crazy guy at all, far more a VW guy....LOL

Awesome, thanks for sharing.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norman wrote:

Conversed with seller... it went to a friend, whole front clip has been cut off and sold... VIN area was rotted off.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob1 wrote:

I think Lind or Greg Noble took some photos of the documentation and VW letters Bob had for this Bus - maybe they can post them.

Hahaha, I was thinking we looked a lot younger too!
M183kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of a '58 DD WT-window doors for forward cargo doors, supposedly from the factory...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: