Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going to look at this today! Any suggestions for a novice!
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jorem50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Going to look at this today! Any suggestions for a novice! Reply with quote

Wanting to dune a dune buggy project. Going to look at this today as maybe a starting point. Any suggestions as to what to look for? I am new to dune buggies and VW's so I am starting at ground zero.
Thanks for the advice.
The pic is in my gallery. Don't know if there is a way to add it to the post or not.[/img]
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Welcome to TheSamba! Cool

There's a section at the top right, when you're viewing the image in the gallery, called "Forum code:". Just copy/paste that into your post, and you're good to go. Wink
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for:

*Rust
*Try to see if the frame is straight or has a twist. Take a measuring tape and a level
*Wiring. This speaks VOLUMES about the overall build quality
*Suspension condition.
*Motor & trans.

Even if ALL that is bad there's still some value to the buggy.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jorem50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I passed on that one! I think I'm leaning towards buying a chassis from acme car company and build it off of that!
Going that route do you think it's still worth buying a donor car! Haven't found any bugs with a title that are cheap enough but I have found a couple without title. If I'm not using the chassis is the title important?
I do want to do 4 wheel disc brakes so besides engine and transaxle how much of a donor car would I use?
Sorry for so many questions just like to have a solid plan before I get started.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always cheaper to fix up a buggy that's already been built. If you buy from Acme, do your research on titling in Florida first. It can be a pain here sometimes. A buggy that's already titled in FL saves you a LOT of worry & grief.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a used one that need attention. Far easier to fix a lot of small things and possibly still enjoy driving it. Buy a kit and it will sit there for years (voice of experience) - and possibly your kids will have to finish it. Disc brake all around on a dune buggy probably aren't needed. Disc in front are cheap but ones with an emergency brake for year are much more costly. Both are easy up grades down the road.
truckdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have the same front wheels as that buggy and I scored four of those hubcaps in almost mint condition for $15 this weekend. They won't clear the front hubs by about 1/2" on my '63 rear end. Any secret on getting these to fit? Wheel spacers and longer lugs?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truckdude wrote:
They won't clear the front hubs by about 1/2" on my '63 rear end. Any secret on getting these to fit? Wheel spacers and longer lugs?

Front hubs on a 63 rear end.. may be the whole problem.. Laughing

Go slow test fitting each time..
Couple of things to do to make hub caps clear either the dust cap or axle.
Make sure the dust caps are fully seated.. grind a little off the top of the dust cap or rear axle snout..
Also use a rubber mallet and a sand bag to gently pound the center of the caps out evenly. .. ... just need enough to clear and snap on.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truckdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, front hubs on a 63 pan is what I meant to say. Caps don't clear the dust covers. Driver's side has the speedometer cable sticking out. I still need to get the clips added.

Edit - I'm an idiot, dust caps are sticking out about 1/2", I have not tapped them into place yet after rebuilding the front end.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: