Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Bug project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: 1964 Bug project Reply with quote

Hello all. I just picked up a '64 Bug and am very excited to start the project. It has Bahama Blue factory paint and is super solid with virtually zero rust issues (CA car entire life). It's only had one repaint during it's life and was found to be very original and unmolested. I had to tow it home due to a major leak on the master cylinder and it has not been registered since 1999. My major decision will be paint color when the time comes. I am currently deciding between VW Beryl Green, white, tan, or having it resprayed the factory Bahama Blue color. I plan on using PPG's Concept line of single stage urethane paint. Some of the upcoming modifications include slightly lowering the front/rear suspension, eliminating the running lights on the front fenders, early snowflake style rear tail lights, blade style bumpers, 911 Fuch chrome replica wheels, one piece quarter windows and stainless steel body side moulding. This site and the numerous vendors that cater to VW restoration projects are awesome, let the fun begin...

Here she is before being towed from prior owners home
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/URL]
As expected every piece of rubber on this 50 year old Bug is hard and rotted

I started to pull off the factory sound deadener off the interior of the pan

The interior is completely original, even the seat covers. I started the removal process while waiting on some new brake parts to arrive

It suffered a minor front passenger collision many years ago and the only body filler I could spot was on the front apron. The new one awaits installation and all body parts appear original minus the hood and front passenger fender

Rear fenders are off so I can install adjustable drop plates, new shocks and complete a full brake job

And yes, more rotted rubber

Its been a few years since it was legally on the street

Last edited by vwnut1 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You chose wisely to purchase such a solid and unmodified Beetle.

To help you decide on the color of repaint, how about investing a day to polish and wax the existing paint on the entire car? It appears as though you might get a surprisingly good shine out of it. Carefully sand down the small, thin rusted sections like after banging out the left rear fender and touch them up with an equivalent color like this-
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/krylon-catalina-mist-indoor/outdoor-satin-spray-850214/,

found on this thread- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424324

Spray some of the paint into the cap, then use a modeler's paint brush to apply the paint to the sections. As you work your way around the car to those areas, go back to the first section and apply a second coat- the first layer should be tacky enough to accept another layer, or not be cured too much.

You could even drive it like that once you get the basic mechanicals sorted out, to see if you like the color or if you do actually want to change it. Add an hour to polish the existing bumper chrome... and maybe just add the Fuchs wheels to it.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Bug project Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
one piece quarter windows

Don't do it, you will regret one piece windows !!!!

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help

Wrong year ; but you get the idea

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old respray is way worse than it looks in the photos. You can actually see the old factory green paint coming through on the replaced hood and passenger fender. I like your budget minded suggestion, but unfortunately for my pocketbook I am WAY to anal of a person to even consider doing that. I do plan on removing all of the glass, window scrapers, etc. before taking it down for paint to ensure a quality respray.

I have always been fond of Porsche Cashmere Beige, I think it would look awesome on '60s Bug

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun with your new toy .
Two suggestions
leave the tarboard on the tunnel....not reproduced and it doesn't rust under it usually
And
convert your early single circuit master cylinder to a newer safer 67 dual circuit master cylinder
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604177&highlight=upgrade+dual+master+cylinder

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Have fun with your new toy .
Two suggestions
leave the tarboard on the tunnel....not reproduced and it doesn't rust under it usually
And
convert your early single circuit master cylinder to a newer safer 67 dual circuit master cylinder

Yes, I will be going with a dual circuit master cylinder when the time comes around. I just started removing the tarboard on the tunnel and am too far in. I am actually glad I did, I found rust lurking underneath. I plan on installing Eastwood rust encapsulator, Durabak, and then Stinger Roadkill on the entire floorboard, tunnel, etc. after getting the surface cleaned and prepped correctly.

Last edited by vwnut1 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Chevrolet Mist Green is another color that I am considering...

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Bug project Reply with quote

Looks like you have a nice solid car for your project . . . way to go! Smile
vwnut1 wrote:
Some of the upcoming modifications include slightly lowering the front/rear suspension, eliminating the running lights on the front fenders, early snowflake style rear tail lights, blade style bumpers, 911 Fuch chrome replica wheels, one piece quarter windows and stainless steel body side moulding.

Sounds like YOU have give a lot of thought to what YOU want to do to YOUR car!
There are people here that might disagree with what you are planning, but I'm glad that YOU will be spending YOUR money and YOUR time building YOUR car the way YOU want it so that YOU will be able to enjoy it!

I'm looking forward to seeing this! All the best on your project! Cool
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, much appreciated. I have had a vision for what I wanted to build for quite some time. I know removing the pop-out rear quarter windows is sacrilegious to some people, but they simply will no go with final look that I am after. Restoring to factory original condition is probably the best way to recoup my investment but I am simply not digging the 100% stock condition look of a '64. If it were a split window or '57 or earlier I would restore to factory original condition in a heartbeat due to how rare they are now getting.

As with all cars beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. It's like the person who paints the exterior of their home a gaudy color (purple, yes I have seen it) and thinks it looks awesome.

One thing that I have learned many years ago is that projects ALWAYS cost more than a person budgets for. Those online parts orders add up quick!
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL!!!
When you do swap out the windows, and if you want to get rid of them, LMK, ok? I'd like them for my '57! Wink

BTW, consider 155/60r-15 for your front tires. That's what I have on my Oval . . . they are a nice size for the 15x4 1/2 and still plenty short enough!
117harv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, there are some here that would disagree with what YOU are doing to YOUR car, i'm one of them.

That car has survived all these years without major damage and looks to be complete, and you want to defile it? You want to put the wrong lights on it, remove front signals, lower, different wheels and engine as well as a color change, maybe a non factory color. Why dont you find another basket case, or a anothers project that has stalled and do what you have planned to it?

Yes, I like stock VW's, but I can appreciate a well done custom one as well. Why dont you do as the previous poster suggested and detail that as is and make it a safe driver with redone interior. Do that and drive it and enjoy it for abit while you find another less than perfect car to build your dream from. You may even make some $$$ on this bug if you clean it up and pass it along to a new caretaker. They are origonal only once, and clean early bugs are getting harder to find daily. If you need proof look at the hundreds of custom bugs here in the class. that seem slow to sell or dont, while the clean origonals are snapped up...jmo
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Bug project Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
vwnut1 wrote:
one piece quarter windows

Don't do it, you will regret one piece windows !!!!

I thought you meant your front windows. All rear quarter windows are one piece. Are you taking the pop outs out for the no chrome trim around the window look here is an idea. Paint the chrome black. Pop outs are a nice feature in the summertime with your front vent windows open, you get a nice breeze.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

117harv wrote:
Yep, there are some here that would disagree with what YOU are doing to YOUR car, i'm one of them.

That car has survived all these years without major damage and looks to be complete, and you want to defile it? You want to put the wrong lights on it, remove front signals, lower, different wheels and engine as well as a color change, maybe a non factory color. Why dont you find another basket case, or a anothers project that has stalled and do what you have planned to it?

Yes, I like stock VW's, but I can appreciate a well done custom one as well. Why dont you do as the previous poster suggested and detail that as is and make it a safe driver with redone interior. Do that and drive it and enjoy it for abit while you find another less than perfect car to build your dream from. You may even make some $$$ on this bug if you clean it up and pass it along to a new caretaker. They are origonal only once, and clean early bugs are getting harder to find daily. If you need proof look at the hundreds of custom bugs here in the class. that seem slow to sell or dont, while the clean origonals are snapped up...jmo

You bring up some good points on restoring back to original condition and will give it some thought before proceeding. ROI (Return On Investment) is real, I just might just change my mind.

I had a few spare hours today and decided to continue removing the asphalt floor lining. I decided to do this because of what I knew I would find. That nasty 4-letter word, rust. I know its minor but I want to nip it in the bud and stop the creep. If you are teaching your teenager how to restore a car this a great one for them to tackle. It's messy and back breaking work, but use a hammer and a beat up wood chisel to make the job easier.

Last edited by vwnut1 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
I have had a vision for what I wanted to build for quite some time. Restoring to factory original condition is probably the best way to recoup my investment but I am simply not digging the 100% stock condition look of a '64.
vwnut1 wrote:

You bring up some good points on restoring back to original condition and will give it some thought before proceeding. ROI (Return On Investment) is a big deal with me, so I may just change my mind!

I must have misunderstood . . . I thought you were going to build a car for your enjoyment . . . as in driving a nice VW. That is the only "return on investment" that you are likely to realize! Are you going to get your enjoyment from breaking your back for a couple years just to sell it????
vwnut1 wrote:
It's messy and back breaking work!
vwnut1 wrote:
One thing that I have learned many years ago is that projects ALWAYS cost more than a person budgets for. Those online parts orders add up quick!

As an investment, restoring VWs is a loser! Look at what 10K will get you . . . I'd guess you will need to spend a couple years in your garage and more $$$$ than that to get yours as nice as these . . .
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1661775
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1666407
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1702847
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1666654

Those are some NICE beetles, but as you have already pointed out, a '64 sedan, stock OR custom, doesn't rank very high on the desirability scale! That's why the price for them is so reasonable!
If you are building your car in hopes of making some money, ya might want to do some soul-searching before you go too much farther on your project.

On the other hand, if you want a Bug to drive and enjoy, you have a solid car to start with. Build it the way you will enjoy driving it and do not worry about the couple of grand loss on your "investment" when you sell.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no intent to use as a daily driver or to "flip" the car. The goal of the project was to find a solid but needy and neglected classic Bug (how people do that is beyond me) and build a weekend cruiser and occasionally hit up a car show. I am in no hurry to complete the project and finish quality and mechanical safety will be my top priorities. The Bug will be sitting under a car cover when not being driven and enjoyed. Yes, I will probably have more into the car than its worth but it wont be too bad of a hit. I recently watched a car show on television where a guy invested $120K in a custom car that he ended up selling down the road for a $70K loss. Now THAT is poor ROI!!!!
Campmobile Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your car so build it how you want it but it's a lot easier to go from stock to custom than the other way around. Suggestion - Build it stock drive it around for awhile and then if you want a new look customize it.

I tried to restore this '64 on my own. I bought the car strip it down, refurb the pan and then it sat for 10yrs. Tired of looking at an empty shell I hired an expert to finish what I started which took another year to complete. I'll be lucky if I can get 70% of my investment back but i did it for the love not for an investment return.

If I had to do it all over again ( restoring an old car vs buy a restored car) I would buy a restored car. You get a car at a discount compared to the restoration cost and you'll save time by getting the car right away rather than waiting months or perhaps years for car to be completely restored.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I just want you know what may lay ahead. We can never have enough restored Bugs stock or custom. Keep us updated on your progress. Good luck, have patience and don't give up.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my 2nd Bug project. My 1st was a $500 Bug that I purchased from a lady 20-years ago by simply knocking on the door after I noticed weeds growing around the car. Towed it home and built a "driver" quality Baja Bug out of it using a hacksaw to cut the fenders and rear apron.

I hear all of you on purchasing a restored car vs. restoring a neglected one for $$$ reasons. I almost purchased a co-workers finished Cal Style Bug before this one. It simply was not a color I would have chosen myself and I wanted to get the satisfaction of building the car on my own. I will restrain myself from purchasing narrowed front beams, disc brakes, 1915cc engines, leather interiors, etc. that add up VERY quickly. I will attempt to take more photos of my progress and post accordingly. I love reading about other members builds on this site, very informative and entertaining.

Last edited by vwnut1 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime you can rescue a car from a shit pile and put it back on the road you've done a good thing. I just sold my 64 for 5200 US. I made a small profit and I worked my ass off getting it ready. I like to use this old adage

Never make a modification that can't be undone. I bolted on a few upgrades like a 1600 engine and made it 12 volt but these are things most people would do anyway. Use a heat gun and that crusty tarboard will come up easier.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW Bug owners were generally frugal by nature, here is a great example. Crimped together battery cables and wrong color wires for pos/negative terminals. They were probably on the clearance rack.

My Kaddie Shack adjustable drop plates and KYB shocks arrived so I decided to tackle the project. WARNING: If you attempt to remove the OEM drop plates yourself BE CAREFUL. Many VW owners have elected to use a floor jack to prop up the rear of the drop plate above the "lip" and then pry the plate off the torsion bar. If it slips the sudden release of energy from the torsion bar will snap your bones in heartbeat. I elected to be safe and order a clever and simple drop plate removal tool (can be seen in photo) from Charles at Atomwerks Engineering. The tool is very HD and makes this job a snap and keeps you safe. I highly recommend the tool if you attempt to tackle this potentially dangerous job yourself.

I bolted on the tool and used my pry bar to pull the drop plate off the lip while I slowly lowered the plate with a wrench and the tool. Once the plate slipped off the lip and dropped to its natural un-tensioned position I took a measurement with my electronic angle finder. This gave me reference point to install the new one. I also used a paint pen to make some marks before slipping it on.

Last edited by vwnut1 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: