Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 bus won't idle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgbdoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: 71 bus won't idle Reply with quote

After a few weeks of running nicely, the bus is having trouble starting and it won't hold an idle. I do have rust in the gas tank, and it has probably been dirtying up the fuel system, so I will have to eventually get that addressed.
I can generally get it to start after 10 or so minutes, but when I stop at an intersection it will die. Once the temperature gets down in the 50s, the bus won't start at all.

Here's a video of the engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZYyl3C-PGk&feature=youtu.be

As you can see, I have to constantly give it gas to keep from dying.

My dad and I have no idea what we're doing, or what the problem is. Any ideas?
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Take out the idle jet on the right side of the carb (labeled B but yours may not have a flat head slot) and clean it out with carb cleaner or compressed air. See if that fixes it. You'll need to deal with the rust in the tank or you're carb will probably continue to clog. Looks like you got yourself a shiny new or refurbished carb there so it's probably rust in the fuel that's your problem.
'74 Westy (parts)
monkbonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see if your idle cutoff solenoid clicks when you remove the wire and reconnect the wire (Have the engine off and ignition on; disconnect the coil wire to avoid burning points while performing this test).

If it doesn't click, then that could be the culprit. Take it out, fiddle with the plunger to make sure it isn't sticking, and touch it to the carb body with the wire hooked to it, ignition on. Should click.

Your fan belt is too loose also.
1969 Amante GT Roller
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw your latest picture of the empty fuel filter. If your fuel filter is not filling up with fuel then your fuel pump is bad. That's the first thing to check if your filter is empty.
'74 Westy (parts)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine certainly sounds lean at idle. I would suspect a jet is clogged. I think it would cut out worse if the idle cut off wasn't working, but worth a check anyway.

Your generator belt is way loose as well, I would think you would get overheating on a hot day.
sgbdoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.

I looked through some articles and all of that seems relatively simple. Tomorrow I'll blow the compressed air, check the idle cutoff, and adjust the fan belt. I'll be sure to post back with results.

One more question: the oil is getting kinda low, and I've read a lot of different opinions on what oil to use. With so many people saying different things, it's hard for me to go through the oil sticky or any other large topic and choose what to use. What would you all recommend?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgbdoe wrote:
Thanks for the help guys.

I looked through some articles and all of that seems relatively simple. Tomorrow I'll blow the compressed air, check the idle cutoff, and adjust the fan belt. I'll be sure to post back with results.

One more question: the oil is getting kinda low, and I've read a lot of different opinions on what oil to use. With so many people saying different things, it's hard for me to go through the oil sticky or any other large topic and choose what to use. What would you all recommend?

The most important thing when it comes to oil is never let it get too low.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seal off those 2" holes in your rear breastplate tin while you're at it. Drain out your tank and put a new tank strainer in it. Fuel filter should be between the tank outlet and the front firewall tin, not in the engine compartment. Read the sticky on engine fires and you'll see why. Your carb is probably clogged up. Follow the suggestions after you drain out the tank and have put the new strainer in it.
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgbdoe wrote:
With so many people saying different things, it's hard for me to go through the oil sticky or any other large topic and choose what to use. What would you all recommend?

You won't get help much longer with that attitude. Education is not for the lazy. I love to help those who help themselves and are of help to others. Many times you'll read a huge thread and learn a valuable piece of information that will get you back on the road again when you're stranded on the side of the road with no internet or cell phone service. I hope Tcash chimes in here with all the vital new bus owner information but I will give you the best advice given to me. Buy a bentley service manual and learn how to use it. http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Station-Official-Service-Manual/dp/0837616352

That being said, I use 10w-30 in my bus and change it as often as I can. Good luck.
'74 Westy (parts)
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice you have an alternator type fuel pump installed. If the push rod is not correct for that pump (short version) it will be making too much fuel pressure and could be making the fuel supply over rich at idle as well as throughout the range of operation.

As well, make sure the hose connection at the check valve for the brake booster vacuum line is not leaking, it looks a bit frazzled.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
sgbdoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read some articles on oil that completely contradict other articles. I was just wondering what would be a safe oil to use for now until I have time to do extensive research.

I cleaned the idle jet, but am having a fan belt issue. I removed it, and was going to remove shims to tighten up the belt, but there were no shims in place. Does this mean the belt is just too stretched out? It looks to be in good condition other than that.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The washers should be there either between the two halves of the pulley or between the one half and the generator. If they are totally missing someone may have used a too long belt just to kind of make things work.

Don't go to extremes on oil, too thick or two thin. You shouldn't need 20w50 unless your engine is pretty worn and shouldn't need a 5w20 if you aren't in the arctic. Pretty much any oil between the those two extremes will do. There is no one best oil.
sgbdoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

The shims are there, they were just on the outside end, and not in use. To loosen the belt, you add shims between the two halves, and take them away to tighten, correct? The belt needs tightening, but there are no shims in place right now to take away. Do I need a new belt?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgbdoe wrote:
Thanks,

The shims are there, they were just on the outside end, and not in use. To loosen the belt, you add shims between the two halves, and take them away to tighten, correct? The belt needs tightening, but there are no shims in place right now to take away. Do I need a new belt?

My guess would be that you probably have the wrong length belt.
sgbdoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
My guess would be that you probably have the wrong length belt.

Just got back from the auto shop, turns out the belt had stretched from its original 900mm length, so I got a new one. Will update tomorrow.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Generator Pulley Shims Reply with quote

How many shims for a generator pulley set?
Generator Pulley Nut Loose
sgbdoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did all the things you guys suggested (cutoff valve is working properly too) and the bus is running well again! It can now idle and it won't die at every stop sign.

Thank you all.
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it was a simple fix. I suspect it was a clogged idle jet. Please take note of some of the other suggestions given here. Specifically concerning the fuel line and filter (don't want your bus catching on fire). Also the holes in the rear (rear of the bus) engine tin, where the heater hoses are supposed to be, should be closed up. If you neglect these two things it could be very pricey and even cause you to lose your bus.
'74 Westy (parts)
sgbdoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll move the filter to a safe place now that I realize the danger. What would you recommend plugging the holes with?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the 1971 bus had a unique (38 amp?) generator which had a longer body than the earlier bay window Busses.

The generator pulley was a different shape which allows the fan belt to still line up with the crank pulley even though the generator stuck farther 'back'

If you put a Bug or early Bus pulley on it, the belt on my old 1971 would loosen up after a few hours....YIKES!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: