Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Tin Sizes Different in 79?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanPorges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Engine Tin Sizes Different in 79? Reply with quote

I ordered a new motor and have now been told that the tins to fit it in my 1979 Super Beetle are not available. They have gone on to tell me that the 79 is the only year that has larger tins and that even a 1978 tin set wont fit in my car without a big gap all the way around. I have never heard of this, this make sense to many of you??
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, all Beetle FI cylinder tins are the same, so 75-79 will fit.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked ETKA and it only lists only one part number (043 119 303) for all AJ 75-79 engines.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FI are different from carbed. That be the only difference

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
DanPorges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I will push back on the engine company again for clarification. They were pretty adamant about the difference, but I am with you guys....o always thought the 71-74 were the same and the 75-79 were all the same as that's the carb vs FI break.
DanPorges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and looked at a handful of 75-78 SBs and I think the guys at Scat were right. The seems to be a slightly wider curve to the outside curves over the cylinders on my 79 that doesn't match the 78 my neighbor has. I can't seem to identify why such a change would have occurred, but I am going to have to build extensions for my tins on the new motor or take the pieces of the old engine to fill he void.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"big gap "all" the way around" might be an exaggeration. I fully agree that the cylinder tins from an FI engine are wider/bow out more than those from a carb engine, because the FI cars' engine compartment side panels bow outward accordingly. On my '77 Beetle sedan I made some banana-shaped sheetmetal adapter pieces so I can install an engine with the straight-side carb cylinder tins and still seal off the sides of the engine compartment. But for the rear cross-piece ('breast plate"), those from a carb engine fits the '77's bay nearly perfectly. You only need to make a small triangular filler piece for the very left and front end of the cross-piece to close up the hole. Fasten it to the leftmost tin screw that goes into the cylinder tin, holding it down with a black-painted fender washer to spread the contact area. But if you have the original FI tin anyway from your '79, this won't matter.

I am not aware of yet another dimensional change from '78 to '79 to support the response you received, so that my experience with the '77 might not fully apply to your car.

Why can't you remove and re-use the original FI cylinder tins and rear breast plate from your '79 engine onto the new engine you're pursuing, unless your car did not have an engine to begin with?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW says there's only one FI tin.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
DanPorges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome, can you post a couple of pictures of the adapters you made? I planned on taking my upper cylinder tins and breast plate from the original motor and copying them out of new metal, painting them to match the new powder coated tins the motor is coming with. I could use my breast plate, but I would need to patch the old heater holes as I am eliminating the heat in this car (its a summer only toy). I'm not sure I understand where that triangle piece is needed as I don't have the motor yet and would like to get my supplies prepared.
Thanks!!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you no longer have the original tin, you can pick up a used set of '75-'79 tin and have them refinished.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1658377

If you are bringing the car back to original, here are a few folks selling complete rebuilt FI motors.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1614749

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1603295

-jeffrey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: