Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Badge epoxy or glue…...
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Badge epoxy or glue…... Reply with quote

I had my aluminum Siggy badge popped off my car while back….no problem, I was washing it and snagged it with a rag. No damage.

Spoke to Winnie and they recommend 3M emblem adhesive. I picked some up and it really doesn't have a good reputation. Everything from not strong enough to eating paint. I tested with a spare piece of fiberglass and while it didn't damage it, it cleaned up with acetone but it didn't create a strong bond with some clean washers I tried to stick to the glass. It's 80% after 30 minutes full after 12 hours.

Does anyone have any experience with something available at the big box stores that's going to do the job? The adhesive isle at loses has tons of choices but looking for some first had recommendations……….The piece is very detailed so whatever I use has to work with minimal product.

Thanks in advance for and replies…..
167luckycharm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine fell off a couple years ago... sadly, it is lost forever, as I believe it may have landed on the highway. I got a replacement from Winnie and it's still here on my computer desk. The original adhesive was clear when still new, but became amber colored after 8 or 9 years. I noticed that the emblem had loosened up over time, and planned on waiting until the last few inches next to the "B" was ready to be lifted off. Certainly didn't want to start prying it up and distorting the metal. Now it's a bit late, but that's how it goes. I've used the emblem adhesive that was recommended by Winnie before, but didn't have favorable results on other projects. I'm considering the gray epoxy that the highway crew uses to glue down those reflective markers on asphalt, but planning on polishing the brushed stainless finish to make it mirror smooth first. And I need to find a source for that asphalt epoxy too.
Good luck with yours and post back your results.
Aloha!
John Mr. 009
bgs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kent-automotive.com/Chemicals/CH000.kac
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to AutoZone or Advance and get a roll of the 1" 3M molding tape. It's the dark grey stuff with the red liner. Clean the back of the badge thoroughly and the same with the hood. Cut the tape to enclose the rear of the badge, line it up, and press on. If it's chilly out, hit it with a heat gun on low for a couple minutes, then press again - hard. The badge should now be a permanent part of the car. I use the stuff all the time for re-setting automaker's badges and body trim on all the emergency vehicles I do. Never a failure yet.

Or you could follow Scott to my place on this coming Sunday after the MotB and I'll put it on for you Very Happy

R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Go to AutoZone or Advance and get a roll of the 1" 3M molding tape. It's the dark grey stuff with the red liner. Clean the back of the badge thoroughly and the same with the hood. Cut the tape to enclose the rear of the badge, line it up, and press on. If it's chilly out, hit it with a heat gun on low for a couple minutes, then press again - hard. The badge should now be a permanent part of the car. I use the stuff all the time for re-setting automaker's badges and body trim on all the emergency vehicles I do. Never a failure yet.

Or you could follow Scott to my place on this coming Sunday after the MotB and I'll put it on for you Very Happy

R

Rick…I heard the tape is the way to go. This is a laser cut signature that I couldn't possibly cut around. Dripfest is coming up right?
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3M 5200. Great adhesive, cures kind of slowly so get the fast cure. You will need to tape the emblem in place and leave it alone for a day or so, but it will stay in place. I'd use the black, and be sure to clean up any squeeze out before it sets.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3M Double sided automotive exterior tape, an Exacto Knife... and a Friday evening.. Done
Easy to remove clean if you ever need to.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, DF is the last weekend, the 25th. Volksnut is correct - an Xacto and some time is all you need. Put the tape tight on the emblem and simply lay the blade slightly off perpendicular with the emblem and slide it along the edge.

3M's 5200 is great stuff for bonding bigger stuff. Makes a hell of a mess though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5200 is messy, but sticks good. I should have thought of the mounting tape, it's super strong. I mounted a small set of box speakers on top of the center console of my 22' Whaler with nothing but the 3M tape, and they have not budged despite many severe offshore poundings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: