Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Punk Rock?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failer wrote:
It must be dead. Nobody has mentioned anything less than twenty years old.

You mean bands like Negative Approach, Dag Nasty, DYS, Flipper, Necros, Slapshot, ALL, Descendants, JFA, Agent Orange, Mission of Burma, Wire, Stooges, Television, Pere Ubu, Richard Hell, X, Minutemen, Stiff Little Fingers...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Failer wrote:

You mean bands like Negative Approach, Dag Nasty, DYS, Flipper, Necros, Slapshot, ALL, Descendants, JFA, Agent Orange, Mission of Burma, Wire, Stooges, Television, Pere Ubu, Richard Hell, X, Minutemen, Stiff Little Fingers...

I don't think that's what he means. All the bands you just listed came before 1994 as with most of the bands listed so far. His point, Punk must be dead because there are no new (1994-2014) bands listed by a few guys on a VW website.
Failer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offshores wrote:
ToolBox wrote:
Failer wrote:

I don't think that's what he means. All the bands you just listed came before 1994 as with most of the bands listed so far. His point, Punk must be dead because there are no new (1994-2014) bands listed by a few guys on a VW website.

Of course I was being sarcastic. But now the more that I think about it, in a way its kinda true. Everything (mostly) mentioned so far would never get questioned as to their provenance. But mention any modern band and you'll likely get immediately shut down with "that's not punk!"

To each his own, of course. I loved Green Day back in the 1000 Hrs era, but still I'd be on the fence to call it punk, it really is catchy pop. I was a little too young for first-hand knowledge, but I grew up with stuff like The Skunks, The Dicks, that kind of stuff. Sex Pistols? Definitely punk. Clash? Almost too talented to be lumped in with some of that crowd. It depends on how far you want to keep looking. Gary Numan was punk at the time, seems more like synth-pop now.

Being that the whole point of punk was DIY and attitude (maybe over actual ability) some youngsters may be surprised to find that 99% of those bands* weren't really any good.

*I don't mean the ones mentioned in the thread so far, I mean the ones in the scene at the time that didn't stand the test of time.
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is it that i am the first person to say The Ramones and i am only 16?
bikesnbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caleb0101 wrote:
why is it that i am the first person to say The Ramones and i am only 16?

Because I JUST got here.. Laughing My daughter likes the Ramones..
I have Youth of Today,Black Flag and Agnostic Front in the "family car" Very Happy
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is alive and well my friends! Boston is a young town with all the colleges. I am in my 30s and can still find a basement /underground show to go to every weekend. Some of the bands are phenomenal! Some fizzle out real quick, some keep truckin' for a while.
The problem, as with most other things in life, is money.
The reason no one mentions bands younger than 20 years old is because the whole "industry" has changed. Bands don't get the label support they once did. Alot of the best stuff is underground and will stay there. It was kind of the same way back in the day but word would get out and big crowds would show up. Most of those guys didn't come out rich though. I worked with Mark McKay from Slapshot, he was our IT guy. Every few months he'd take off and play some shows in England or something, but he was NOT rolling in dough. Same with Peter Prescott from Mission of Burma. He was a record buyer at a used record store that shut down, then came to work for my company at like $9/hour. He washed out too, it was sad.
At least in Beantown, the venues are drying up, most of them have some corporate backe like Live Nation and there is a weird ladder you need to climb to get a show somewhere. Play this place first, get a good crowd, then play the next bigger place..etc. Live nation owns like 3-4 venues of varying size here. It's gross. the few independent places can't get anyone good to play, and get shut down cuz they're not greasing the fire marshall's palms. And those were the places that would have a big act come through and a few local bands opening, then you'd hear some new shit. Now corporate venues book touring shows, 3 bands that are on tour together. I could go on and on, it's just a different beast now, and it COSTS money to be in a band, especially if you want to get nationally recognised. So there are some greats that have fizzled out. Here's a sample of some newer Punk bands from Boston some of you might enjoy, can all be found on Bandcamp:

HO-AG (done after 10 years, Devo on crack)
Guerilla Toss
Kal Marks
Pile

These guys all tour too, so catch them in your town! If other people have some sweet local punk bands they are hiding from the rest of us, POST 'EM UP!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve been into it since it started in the 70`s. And still am but it`s not quite the same anymore. I would risk getting jumped by a pack of stoners everyday just for wearing 501`s and Vans. Look what happened...
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still listen to punk, but mostly older stuff like the Misfits, Subhumans, Descendents, Circle Jerks, Agent Orange, Adicts, etc.

Theres one band I havent heard mentioned yet thats newer, Anti-Flag, but I havent listened to their stuff in years.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Millennial thing. Now I know what my folks felt when Rock-N-Roll came around.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the bands people are listed are from the 80's, if you want 80's punk then... yeah it's not a big scene. I'm a big Casualties and Turbonegro fan and they're still cranking out tunes as crusty as they ever were. Even The Dwarves put out an album a couple weeks ago.

Link

Link

But if you're all about the classics, you can't go wrong with Nation of Ulysses:

Link

ViLL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good stuff!

I got into punk in about 87-88...came with way I was living--Shredding the streets on my board. I was only 10! LOL

My older brother was the major influence. He let us listen too the Sex Pistols, the Dead Milkmen, DK, the Misfits, Ramones, Operation Ivy, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Black Flag, the Beastie Boys (Egg Raid on Mojo!)...massive list of shit that seems endless. Those were the days.

I still listen to a lot of it too. I've got a ton of old school punk on my playlist. I think the most influential to me, had to have been Minor Threat. I followed McKaye into Fugazi, and man...some of those lyrics and meanings were deep.

But the punk has never left me...I just got a haircut, got taller, and have a job now Very Happy

I also see todays kids sporting the old stuff, it has all come around full circle pretty much...
TimB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was downtown fullerton the other night trying a flight. A brew called "punk in drublic" was on tap. I asked the mustached server if it was a homage to NOFX and he looked at me strange. Yes punk rock is dead in the Internet era.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't listen much back in the eighties, but my sister did. An interest sparked a few years ago and she sent me a USB card with hundreds of songs on it. I'm in love. I definitely like the older/lighter stuff like The New York Dolls, The Stooges, Misfits, Dead Boys, Sex Pistols (Whom I did listen to in the eighties), The Clash (first CD I ever bought with my own money...paper route money), M.O.T.O. and The Ramones. The Buzzcocks being my favorite, I think.

I don't have to listen to that screaming noise shit, my parents loved me.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
I didn't listen much back in the eighties, but my sister did. An interest sparked a few years ago and she sent me a USB card with hundreds of songs on it. I'm in love. I definitely like the older/lighter stuff like The New York Dolls, The Stooges, Misfits, Dead Boys, Sex Pistols (Whom I did listen to in the eighties), The Clash (first CD I ever bought with my own money...paper route money), M.O.T.O. and The Ramones. The Buzzcocks being my favorite, I think.

I don't have to listen to that screaming noise shit, my parents loved me.

The Misfits Static Age is a GREAT record. Everything after that got pretty stupid.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punk is not dead! It has changed. My wife tells me it's because I'm getting old, Laughing I don't think I have found any good new bands since the early 90s. Punk is a state of mind. Started listening around the early 80s and while it's not the only thing I listen to it is the predominant musical choice. My ragtop has 2 nonVW stickers, The Clash and Bad Religion. My two favorites. Commute soundtrack yesterday contained both of them and Operation Ivy,Sex Pistols,Minor Threat as well as others. At my wedding Sid Vicious' My Way & The Ramones' What A Wonderful Life played during dinner; old folks looked perplexed just like when I had my 10" tall bleach blonde mohawk. Ah memories. Now I'm older and have a family a tamer haircut but the music is still fast, loud and angry!
Shane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Str8rayzor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into punk rock when I was 11, we had a foreign exchange student come live with us from Brazil and he introduced me to Bad Religion, Rancid, the sex pistols, and the ramones, I'm 26 now and still listen to it every day although I've added quite a few more bands to my list. I've still got my mohawk to haha but I'm a welder so as long as my bead looks good it doesnt matter what I look like. All this talk about punk rock just growing up reminds me of a documentary I watched recently called "the other F word" it follows a few of the old school rockers and shows how they have families and everything now. It was pretty cool.
Str8rayzor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know most of you guys had to have seen SLC Punk, I don't know very many people that listen to punk and haven't seen it. They are supposedly working on a sequel to it called "Punks not dead" although I don't really have high hopes for it.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be the only one embarrassed by Greg Ginn in 2013-14 and "Black Flag". I got suckered into a show in 2013 when Ron Reyes (Jealous Again era) was the vocalist. I'm a 90s kid so I never experienced the band obviously, but I'm a big fan of the music. I thought it would be awesome to see Greg play and at least Ron Reyes was on vocals. Man it was terrible, I could have played the songs better than the drummer. Laughing If you know the whole Ron Reyes story during that tour you would know. Ron still has it, but the rest was... Then the Mike Vallely line up this year doing a wannabe Rollins on stage, pretty cringe worthy as well. It's pretty obvious he "reformed" the band because Flag (actual previous members of the band) got together to perform shows.

I should of went to one of those shows:

Link

Last edited by '64cal lookdub on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Was that the show you thought was terrible in the link? It sounded good to me. Keith Morris (vocals) in the 1st few songs and the Circle Jerks are one of my favorites. I would have loved to seen that lineup.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that is Flag, which is fucking awesome. All OG members through various lineups minus Stephan Egerton. I was talking about the Greg Ginn version.

Link

Rolling Eyes The drummer was horrible and Greg's playing isn't what it used to be. Ron was still good and it was cool to see him. But he was fired on stage by Mike Vallely last year.

Then this year Vallely was the new vocalist and a couple of random guys were hired for the rhythm section. Basically stick to the music from 1978-86 if you enjoy Black Flag. Laughing

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: