Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Traveling with large sums of money.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Traveling with large sums of money. Reply with quote

I've been aware of this "law" for some time( The Civil Forfeiture Law ) but thought this was a good clip about it. If you haven't seen it on HBO here's a clip . If you scroll down in the link you'll see it.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/last-week-tonight-civil-forfeiture
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you?

the person travelling with the large amount of money is just as guilty as the officer who enforces that law. I am a true believer of civil rights, but most of these cases have occurred in the drug corridor of the South. Not being able to articulate your defense in your own country means you are dumb! Normal people would wire money or would provide a legitimate excuse for travelling with that amount. Buying a car cash, is not a crime, but using that as an excuse is.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to read this
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/12/taken
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I believe you, the thing that dissapoints me, is that for REAL issues with the government, no one steps up to the plate, and for things like marihuana and such, people flock to gather signatures.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt that you read the entire article. It's a long one, and it addresses issues that you brought up in both of your posts. The facts are available.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
I seriously doubt that you read the entire article. It's a long one, and it addresses issues that you brought up in both of your posts. The facts are available.

GUILTY!!!!
You got me, but last time I checked, I wasn't on trial, it was the govmnt. But I stand my ground! Cool

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police should not be taking anything away from you without some sort of actual proof that is enforceable in a court of law.

A couple times in the past people have asked me why I had thousands of dollars (bank, airplane check, etc.) and I know my answers came out like BS as I was flustered on why they would even ask. It's none of their business.

It should not surprise you that some people prefer to deal in cash.
I personally know of several deals around the $100K mark that were paid with cash.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU Everett. Our money says right on the front of every $ bill "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE" It is absurd to me that it could be illegal to have this in your possession.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could someone give me a large sum of money, so i can see what it's like to carry lots of money Very Happy

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
A couple times in the past people have asked me why I had thousands of dollars (bank, airplane check, etc.) and I know my answers came out like BS as I was flustered on why they would even ask. It's none of their business.

That reminds me of the time a cop in a small town in Arizona was "fishing" for DUI stops one Saturday night, country road, believe he was parked with lights out and just decided to target the next vehicle: me. He asked me TWICE why the tailgate of our 1994 Suburban was repainted (I did that myself, wasn't as shiny). I wanted to reply that it was my #%&^#%&*$# vehicle, and that I could do whatever the #%&^#%&*$# I wanted to it, and it was none of his #%&^#%&*$# business but figured he would trump a fake charge. Cop has all the power in such situation; Mrs. Cusser was terrified.

Anyway, cop claimed I went through a 4-way stop 1/2 mile previously, and then I took a left turn "too slow" and veered of the road (which would've been in a ditch, but that didn't happen). Anyway, I demanded breathalyzer test, did a 0.019 (4 times under the limit), and got no tickets. Cop just made up "probable causes to fish for DUI. Sad.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a large sum? If it is $100K, why would you?

When I go and buy machines and pickup at the place, normally the shop will want cash. I carry 10 -15 large but no more. Of course the money is hidden in separate places around the car. YOu will have to dig for them to get them all.

Very large sums of money enough to buy a house is asking for trouble. If it gets confiscated because you are accused of drug-traffic, then it might be some time to get all your money back from the police and jump all sorts of hoops and legal fuss to prove your innocence. Not worth it. That is why they have bank transfers and notes so you don't have to haul that thing.

Not a good idea to have that kind of scratch just floating around.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well traveling with large amounts of cash anymore with all of the Credit card hacks going on, it makes sense to just pay cash. That would be my reason.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hide the $ like liquor....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609513

And if I was to travel from S.Fla. to Cali I would have to take a drug corridor as the most direct route. I would be targeted as a bus driving, dope smuggling, hippie? Rolling Eyes That is BS. Fortunately in S.Fla the cops are concentrating on other areas of enforcement.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Traveling with large sums of money. Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
could someone give me a large sum of money, so i can see what it's like to carry lots of money Very Happy

I'm with rubbachicken on this one. Unless your definition of "large sum" is $40.00. But then, I'm married...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What constitutes a "Large Sum" was something I was wondering from the original video too.

I guess that is a question to ask the police officer.
Broke? Maybe that's $100.
For me I'd say that's over $4000 as I've had just under that to that a bunch of times.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crossing into Canada for a vacation trip they asked me if I had enough $$??
I'm like what's enough? (WTF) I have cash and credit cards..
I've been in the principal's office enought to not admit or deny and not to provide any additional information whether factual or non-factual.

they were fishing and or thinking I was bringing mom (72yrs old) into their country to abandon her... not sure why my ability to 'support myself' would be a factor.. I could have plenty and still leave her at the park. Laughing

EverettB wrote:
What constitutes a "Large Sum" was something I was wondering from the original video too.

I guess that is a question to ask the police officer.
Broke? Maybe that's $100.
For me I'd say that's over $4000 as I've had just under that to that a bunch of times.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most law enforcement officials, associate cash (paper bills) with drugs. Given most drug deals are dealt with large sums of cash. Unfortunately, they don't realize that current commerce is still handled in cash. Who hasn't bought or sold a car or parts in cash? But let's not fool ourselves, Law enforcement officers develop a sense for these things. that's why they catch crooks. Do they make mistakes? YES, but people do many, many, more.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off topic but: I once carried around $80,000 in cash for about 2 hours. It was both fantastic and frightening.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
A little off topic but: I once carried around $80,000 in cash for about 2 hours. It was both fantastic and frightening.

Cool!

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

NIce!

when I was a young airman stationed in Okinawa back in the day... we used to haul our entire paycheck for the whole US armed forces every couple of weeks or so...straight to the finance office.

After they cut the containers open w/ a torch (yes, it is welded shut) comes the large bills in hard plastic-wrapped bricks - 18" x 36" size. I was told each brick is about 150K or 200K each or...something like that. If this thing dropped on you will probably kill you as it is cut very sharp and hard.

A couple of the bricks fell to the ground I had picked it up...handed them back to the Lt. and he said that will pay for several houses in some state.

Of course the whole area was guarded w/ at least 30 fully armed Security Police w/ machineguns...M60 and the rest of it.

I did not feel anything special, but it was a day to behold that much money in once spot.

It is not like you can steal it and get away...the whole island is only 60 mile long. And traffic is bad! Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: