Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Traveling with large sums of money.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
crossing into Canada for a vacation trip they asked me if I had enough $$??
I'm like what's enough? (WTF) I have cash and credit cards..
I've been in the principal's office enought to not admit or deny and not to provide any additional information whether factual or non-factual.

they were fishing and or thinking I was bringing mom (72yrs old) into their country to abandon her... not sure why my ability to 'support myself' would be a factor.. I could have plenty and still leave her at the park. Laughing

EverettB wrote:
What constitutes a "Large Sum" was something I was wondering from the original video too.

I guess that is a question to ask the police officer.
Broke? Maybe that's $100.
For me I'd say that's over $4000 as I've had just under that to that a bunch of times.

You are required to declare anything $10K and over when crossing the border (either way), it's supposed to be just cash but I've gotten the "park over there and go inside" treatment with cashiers checks too.

They could have been fishing for an undeclared currency bust as well as the milk the free public healthcare possibility, it does happen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try flying to or from a foreign country (like Mexico) with large amounts of money and see what happens? at least here you may get a receipt for the confiscated money.

True story:
My brother's friend traveled to China for business, China is a cash only nation (or wire transfer) he flew Fro Mexico city to Tijuana to Shanghai. In Tijuana he was checked for currency, he had $50K and had only declared $10K. He was offered a deal. Give up $25K and continue with his trip or face charges of tax evasion, go to jail and lose everything. Guess his choice?

When things like Civil Forfeiture arise, why isn't there a Jesse Jackson or Hillary Clinton or Gloria Allred fighting for our rights? without getting political Why isn't Obama or Judge Sotomayor helping those poor people??????? Evil or Very Mad

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you read the link provider to get the answers to your questions? Perhaps you already have your mind made up. Rolling Eyes
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Why don't you read the link provider to get the answers to your questions? Perhaps you already have your mind made up. Rolling Eyes

(In my best Homer Simpson voice)

Too Lazy to read! Doh!

If this is such a BIG issue, why don't we see the above mentioned people on TV fighting for our rights Rolling Eyes or getting their 15 min of fame on tv?

We all have stories to tell, and usually we only cry about it if it inconveniences us! Evil or Very Mad

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I went to but my 356(glass) it dawned on me that I had driver for almost 2 days north,through the snow,and now I was out in the middle of nowhere feilds everywhere,almost ran over some ahmish people in thier buggy(horse drawn not vw buggy) they were laughing thier buts off at the aparently lost sole wandering the empty fields looking for whatever.well as I was wandering in to the abiss with 11000 in my pocket Shocked to a farm house/barn Shocked it became perfectly clear......keep on the look out for chainsawas,numbchucks&shuvels... but not to worry everything was just fine.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no crime was committed the property will go to the states unclaimed property division.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=518177&highlight=money

Love the comedy.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
If no crime was committed the property will go to the states unclaimed property division.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=518177&highlight=money

This does not appear to be true based on the 2 stories above.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
crossing into Canada for a vacation trip they asked me if I had enough $$??
I'm like what's enough? (WTF) I have cash and credit cards..

I got the same thing trying to enter the US in the 90s. My intent was a road trip into Mexico with a full ATM card and an empty Visa card. Since I only had about $150 in cash, they turned me away. When I returned with an ATM receipt showing the balance and the daily withdraw amount, I was allowed in.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Today I use cash for my trips, usually just under $10k. All they're doing is to force you to lie to them.
Remember this quote: "No, you may not search my car."
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think there are magnetic strips in the bills denoting value?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it odd the cops have a high propensity for pulling over vehicles along I 35 and I 40 and these just happen to be large cash forfeitures. My own experience stay away from the great state of Louisiana. Many many speed traps and poor ares where they prey upon out of state people to victimize. Dateline exposed this scam where they seize cars and money.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As they say Down there " let the good times roll"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: