Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cruise control in 84 w/ 2.2
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Cruise control in 84 w/ 2.2 Reply with quote

Last year I picked up an 84 Westy up in Oregon and went on a journey back to Texas.

The PO did a stellar job on conversion (no issues whatsoever on the 3000 miles back), however the cruise control was never fully hooked up.

so while wiring up some aux gauges, I figured I might as well snap an pic to ask for forum feedback on cruise control.

Not sure what the cruise control arm is from (PO said Audi), but there are 4 wires coming from the stalk.

There is also a lone blue wire not connected back in the engine bay (PO said was related to cruise control as well)

So does anybody out there have any direction on what I should be looking for/doing to make the cruise work?

Thanks!
CC stalk:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

4 wires from stalk:
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a picture of the throttle body and linkage. It looks aftermarket to me. There should be some sort of ECU up front that might be using an rpm signal for an input, but you'd still need some sort of additional linkage connected to the throttle body.

Here is a picture of some of the VW aftermarket cruise control components. There are duplicates. Snagged from Google images.

MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay on the shot, but from doing work running an aux gauge cluster this weekend, I had time to snap of pic of what I assume it is an actuator (behind the expansion tank) for the CC system.

all of the wires from the CC stalk run back and are connected to the actuator except for a taped off yellow wire.

Could it be that the unused wire that is left off currently is the one for the tach signal? If so, where is the best spot to pin that too?

First time fiddling w/ a cruise control system, so probably a few dumb questions from me....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a manual or auto transaxle?

I think with an auto an aftermarket system will have one unused wire (clutch over-run).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that is a stock VW cruise servo. Is it a Subaru Part? If so, you will need to determine how the Subaru cruise works and then adapt your cruise control switch.

On my TDI conversion, the cruise control switch connects directly to the ECU. Not sure about the Subaru cruise. There is a Subaru vanagon yahoo group I believe. I bet they have an archive on how to hook up the Subaru cruise servo if that is what it is.
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Is this a manual or auto transaxle?

I think with an auto an aftermarket system will have one unused wire (clutch over-run).

Manual transaxle.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard 'Rostra" aftermarket cruise switch. Used to be part of Stewart Warner and then ARA .
Do a search for Rostra Cruise and you should come up with a wiring diagram. Individual parts are readily available.
Should be an easy project.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm waiting on an email from the PO to see what the deal is, but after peeking my head under the dash, it definitely looks like the rostra style ecu box under the dash.
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a close up of the rostra box
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317214&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Look through the above thread. The box and servo in the trunk look similar to my VW dealer installed cruise control. About half way down page 1, has info on what each wire is for. Due to life being to busy, I have yet to get mine working with my EJ22 conversion, but which wires which may help you.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To continue the investigation, here is what I can see as the pin-out to the CC ECU thing:

I'm curious if the snipped white wire should be the where the VSS signal should go?
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered the speedo based VSS to see if that signal will work w/ this old unit.

I traced all the wires and didn't find anything leading to or from any sort of speed sensor, so I'm taking a guess and assuming that the clipped white wire from pin 18 is where the speed signal needs to go.

If not, no harm if this doesn't work since I"ll just re-use the VSS setup on a newer aftermarket setup.

Papa needs cruise control.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look on the back of your speedometer to see if maybe there is already a VSS installed ? May be a long shot, but worth a look .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No VSS currently, but it is the snap on speedo style and has the provision for the bolt on VSS.

I figure lack of VSS is also why when running the AC w/ the subie conversion I sometimes bog down and shut off when coming up to an intersection.

So even if it doesn't fix the current CC setup, it should help w/ idling when coming to a stop.

I recall reading lack of VSS being an issue w/ 90-94 2.2 conversions.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VSS will make any EJ22 conversion run and idle better, check out the Gowesty one, its only 30 dollars.
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After chatting w/ goWesty I found, even though I have a snap in speedo cable, the GW VSS will not fit round cased speedos without cutting away from the housing.

Therefore, I ended up ordering the Speedpuls 8P from FastForward, which is supposed to require no cutting/dremeling.

I'll post back w/ an update once it arrives.

In the meantime, anybody know where I should plug the vss signal to the 2.2 subie ECU?
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTibbs wrote:
After chatting w/ goWesty I found, even though I have a snap in speedo cable, the GW VSS will not fit round cased speedos without cutting away from the housing.

Therefore, I ended up ordering the Speedpuls 8P from FastForward, which is supposed to require no cutting/dremeling.

I'll post back w/ an update once it arrives.

In the meantime, anybody know where I should plug the vss signal to the 2.2 subie ECU?

I'm in Austin too, with a similar story ('84 westy, bought up north and driven down). Subaru 2.5, but I'm interested in how this ends up as I will do the same.

~Jason
Nimbus'87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: VSS.... Reply with quote

GOODSubaru2.2Lwiring_diag (didn't work! How does one post PDF's?)
Hopefully this pdf transfers over. Rolling Eyes
If not I'll try again if needed.
This Diag. has ECU B-11 to VSS as green/black stripe.
Watching post, as I too would like to CC my Sub. 2.2 Smile
Nimbus'87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: VSS part 2... Reply with quote

How to load PDF's? Anyone? Bueller...?

Second best, pic's.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1271327.jpg

and...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1271326.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thought by now the Subie guru's would have this responded and shown the shortcuts. G'luck Wink
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go back and search through my posts, you will find out that you will need to cut the back for the Fast forward one as well.I also have the same backing as you do.
Also, you may have problems as I (and others) did with the 8 pulse from them in my EJ motor. You actually need the 4 pulse for a Subaru which is what everyone else sells. Subaru uses 5 pulses in the car your motor came from, and the 8 pulse will max out the speed on your ecu, making it think you are going over 100mph causing a fuel cut.Maybe you can contact David and get it fixed before he ships.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: