Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mixed bag buggy
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Mixed bag buggy Reply with quote

Hello VW air cooled genius’s,
I am and have been involved with machine shop, motor mechanics and motor sports pretty much all of my 56 years. I have a pretty good idea for most mechanical components. I find myself in need of some clarification; I hope you have the patience.
We have what’s titled as a 1972 reconstructed. It is a Manx style (Burlington) dune buggy. It is on a shortened 1965 chassis with stock front and transaxle (all in very good shape).
The engine is a B6392595, I read this was produced in 69 and 70. It is a 1600cc single port, this I know because the pistons and cylinders are new and the heads are fresh.
Now, for what I find to be the tricky part. I have discussed this with parts houses and they all assured me they had the parts for me and all of those parts turned out to be wrong. I am not going to mention the parts houses as that really isn’t the point here. This engine, transaxle has a 12 volt charging system using a generator. The issue is the clutch/flywheel that is used and what might be available. The flywheel is now a 109 tooth (counted by myself and my son) 4 pin with a 180mm clutch.
In one of my all too impulsive and obviously misguided purchases I bought a 200mm clutch and pressure plate. Well I had the flywheel re-surfaced and tried to assemble things only to find my misfortune.
I can buy a new 180mm clutch kit.
I can see if there’s a similar flywheel available for a 200mm clutch.
Any reasonable suggestions?
I would like to drive this thing again before the snow flies.

Fastrip
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 109 tooth flywheel is a 6 volt flywheel and takes the 180mm clutch...

The 130 tooth flywheel is a 12 volt flywheel and takes the 200mm clutch...

That being said, there is some variations to the above, but not to common...

Apparently whoever built the engine/buggy combination may have choses to run a 6 volt starter on 12 volts, yes it can be done and is done quite a bit... Check voltage/part number stamped on starter housing...

To change to 12 volt starter requires a flywheel change and a starter shaft bushing change...Alternatively if you change flywheel to 12 volts (130 tooth), you can use the BOSCH SR17 self supported starter from "auto trans" and not worry about support bushing..

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something to consider.

http://www.mofoco.com/item/MOFOCO_200MM_6VOLT_STOCK_RESURFACED_GERMAN_FLYWHEEL/738/c131

Lee

Last edited by LeeVW on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the blank post. I'm not sure how that happened.

Here's something to consider.

http://www.mofoco.com/item/MOFOCO_200MM_6VOLT_STOCK_RESURFACED_GERMAN_FLYWHEEL/738/c131

Lee
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee.... The blank post was caused by the "URL" (BBCode) had a space or "return" between the last character in link and the BBCode closing "code"... Go back and try to "quote" it and you can see the error...

Should look like this...

Code:
[url]http://www.mofoco.com/item/MOFOCO_200MM_6VOLT_STOCK_RESURFACED_GERMAN_FLYWHEEL/738/c131[/url]

Not this...

Code:
[url]http://www.mofoco.com/item/MOFOCO_200MM_6VOLT_STOCK_RESURFACED_GERMAN_FLYWHEEL/738/c131
[/url]

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the self supported starter and this works great.

Are you considering grinding out the swing axle trans for the 12 volt flywheel? It is not that tough to do and allows for larger flywheel selections. The PO of my buggy mated a 6 volt flywheel on a 12 v engine with the ever popular caulk bomb technique.

Good luck
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mixed bag buggy Reply with quote

fastrip wrote:
Hello VW air cooled genius’s,
I am and have been involved with machine shop, motor mechanics and motor sports pretty much all of my 56 years. I have a pretty good idea for most mechanical components. I find myself in need of some clarification; I hope you have the patience.
We have what’s titled as a 1972 reconstructed. It is a Manx style (Burlington) dune buggy. It is on a shortened 1965 chassis with stock front and transaxle (all in very good shape).
The engine is a B6392595, I read this was produced in 69 and 70. It is a 1600cc single port, this I know because the pistons and cylinders are new and the heads are fresh.
Now, for what I find to be the tricky part. I have discussed this with parts houses and they all assured me they had the parts for me and all of those parts turned out to be wrong. I am not going to mention the parts houses as that really isn’t the point here. This engine, transaxle has a 12 volt charging system using a generator. The issue is the clutch/flywheel that is used and what might be available. The flywheel is now a 109 tooth (counted by myself and my son) 4 pin with a 180mm clutch.
In one of my all too impulsive and obviously misguided purchases I bought a 200mm clutch and pressure plate. Well I had the flywheel re-surfaced and tried to assemble things only to find my misfortune.
I can buy a new 180mm clutch kit.
I can see if there’s a similar flywheel available for a 200mm clutch.
Any reasonable suggestions?
I would like to drive this thing again before the snow flies.

Fastrip

I have a 200mm 6 volt flywheel on the shelf that I could ship or you could pick up today. 414-963-1020

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dale. That took care of the blank post problem.
fastrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pretty good idea the answer would show itself in this site.

To roy@mofoco, I will be there before the week is done. I will call Thursday. I am an hour north of Milwaukee.

Better moment of inertia and 200mm clutch.

We will bring our flywheel along in case you need a core.

6V flywheel is the 109. The starter and bell housing need to be changed or modified to switch to a 130 tooth flywheel. Any day that something is learned is a good day.

We am anxious to drive this car before winter sets in. We are wiring from front to back, we are adding blinkers and a functional horn, new seats and we need to re-work the roll bar.

My wife said she always wanted an old school dune buggy, so we looked (my son and I). The car was found in northern Wi., in a barn, parked there for 18-20 years. We brought it home, we woke it back up and we drove it for while last year but the top end was soft, the brakes weren't the best and the seats were falling apart, there were no blinkers and a it had a phantom ignition/electrical issue.
We would like to give her the keys with faith. That could well happen next spring if we can get the drive and electrical stuff done before it gets too flippin cold to work in the shed.

Thank you all very much,
Fastrip
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: