Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dropping engine - loosen the clutch shaft?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Dropping engine - loosen the clutch shaft? Reply with quote

I just removed the engine out of my 412 sedan. As Haynes recommend I first loosened the clutch shaft through the hole under the back seat and pulled the shaft forward about 4" to get the shaft out of the way in order to make the engine drop more easy. However getting the circlip wich holds the shaft out and in again was a PITA so I wonder if leaving the shaft in place as it is would have made the engine drop so much more difficult?

/Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No....it does not. I have done it many times both ways.

I am not sure of the main rational for removing the mainshaft. The only thing I can think of is the worry of putting weight on it by accident and perhaps bending it.

The times that removing the main shaft have been useful are in two conditions.

1. In the rare cases where I have had to remove the engine in a less than perfect location with not all of my jacks and lifting tools at my disposal.....if you are going to leave the engine partially connected .....not really doing more than taking the rear hanger loose and the hanger over the bell housing loose from the chassis, you can move the engine far enough back to actually change the clutch disk and pressure plate without removing the transmission and drive shafts. It is helpful in this case to be able to pull thd main shaft out through the back seat.

2. When putting an engine back in when the transmission has not been removed.....when re-mating the engine to the transmission I find that it actually works easier on the 004.....to have the shaft pulled out several, inches.....just mate the engine. ..and then slide the shaft back into position.

I only recomend this second one if: a. Your transmission mainshaft seal is known to be new and very pliable and
b. Do not let the transmission bell housing tilt downward or else gear oil may leak around the seal when the shaft is pulled out.
In other words....if the transmission is to remain firmly in place on all of its mounts while you work on clutch or engine......it does not really help the removal of the engine to pull the trans shaft back......but it does help reinstallation of the engine.

I usually removecthe engine first....and then pull the rear plug on the tranny, remkve the lock nut....and then tap the shaft rearward with a rubber mallet. In this way the snap ring is simple. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, cleared everything!

raygreenwood wrote:
b. Do not let the transmission bell housing tilt downward or else gear oil may leak around the seal when the shaft is pulled out.

Just been there, done that and also cleaned the shop floor... Sad but was going to do a gear box oil change anyhow...

/Lars S
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Thanks Ray, cleared everything!

raygreenwood wrote:

Just been there, done that and also cleaned the shop floor... Sad but was going to do a gear box oil change anyhow...

/Lars S

Nice car! The motorcycle lift is perfect for this usage (at least that looks like a motorcycle lift). Are those sprint star wheels?

EDIT:...on second gllance...that is not a motorcycle lift at all. That is a hydraulic wheel ramp. Where did you get that? Ray
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are genuine 5 1/2" Empi sprintstars (from -73), nice on this car.

The lift is sold here in Sweden at a couple of workshop tool chains' really cheap about $300. Im wery pleased with it, lifts the car about 40cm
Video of how it works (sorry for the Swedish talk):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BadStE7uOlk&feature=player_embedded

/Lars S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: