Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

D.I.Y casting cabinet handles and other bus bits
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-inserts/=u7yfls

Thank you Tom.....I was just going to take him to that same page.
Tje twist resistant inserts for plastics are decent. ...but the inserts for heat set plastics work very well. If they are too deep....grind the bottom end.

Set them in place with a bolt inside turned in flush to the bottomd. Seal the outer gap around the bolt thread with wax....because if the resin leaks in you will never get it out.
Also with a punch distort the bottom inner thread heavily so that when you thread in a screw it cannot go out the back and "jack" the insert out of the handle. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Tje twist resistant inserts for plastics are decent. ...but the inserts for heat set plastics work very well. If they are too deep....grind the bottom end.

Set them in place with a bolt inside turned in flush to the bottomd. Seal the outer gap around the bolt thread with wax....because if the resin leaks in you will never get it out.
Also with a punch distort the bottom inner thread heavily so that when you thread in a screw it cannot go out the back and "jack" the insert out of the handle. Ray

So I ordered the inserts. My only concern about your procedure above would be that the high temp of the resin setting would just melt the wax. Have you tried this? I was planing to just put a few drops or the resin into the bottoms of the inserts and let it set before putting them into the handles. This would also solve the "jacking" out problem. Right?
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also made this today
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need to sand the bottom down a bit as its a little curved, but overall I like it. And colour is nicer than my yellow junk yard one (on the left)
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - very good work. Been PM'ing back forth about the color with captaincanuck and am sooooo appreciative of him stepping up to the plate to make some of these! Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Tcash wrote:

So I ordered the inserts. My only concern about your procedure above would be that the high temp of the resin setting would just melt the wax. Have you tried this? I was planing to just put a few drops or the resin into the bottoms of the inserts and let it set before putting them into the handles. This would also solve the "jacking" out problem. Right?

Yes I have used wax.....and you are 100% correct that the heat melts the wax....but the wax cant go anywhere and stays where it is as a barrier. Also what you are using sets so fast after that its not a problem.
but you can use virtually anything for a barrier there ....rtv....a dab of thin superglue etc......but do not use the resin for this. Its too hard and grippy on surtaces and the risk that you cant get the bolt out is high.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
Also made this today

I need to sand the bottom down a bit as its a little curved, but overall I like it. And colour is nicer than my yellow junk yard one (on the left)

Very nice!....what is that part?
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a base plate that goes under the faucet and holds the pump switch on a deluxe (or my not so deluxe with a deluxe stove/sink). Rumor has it a repro isn't available and a few folks including eche_bus have contacted me about making one

Still don't know if my handle buttons should be gray? Thoughts?
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in one of those base plates. I'll shoot you a PM.

Yes, I believe gray buttons is corrrect for '79s.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
That is a base plate that goes under the faucet and holds the pump switch on a deluxe (or my not so deluxe with a deluxe stove/sink). Rumor has it a repro isn't available and a few folks including eche_bus have contacted me about making one

Still don't know if my handle buttons should be gray? Thoughts?

Nice!
A suggestion....as resins have a different structure both chemically and mechanically....and its a sink part.....take either one of these parts of something else made with the same resin and soak it in a container of water with just a little salt and some dishwashing liquid. The alternately take it out and let it lay in the sun. Alternately back in the water, dry it and then into the freezer. Alternately heat to about 120-150f (the average heat encountered in an enclosed vehicle in the summer).Do this for a few days or a week and then bolt it back up into the sink.

You need to make sure there will be no issues with the resin part in what it will encounter. The casting is excellent.....but I would test the resin a bit. While the method above is not fomplete....it will at least give you a heads up of any potential issues.

.many resin manufacturers will advertize light safe or UV resistant....but that is not the same as "weatherable". The key is uv exposure with and alternating with heat, cold, moisture and basic water borne chemicals. Weathering is far more destructive than fading. Ray
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
A suggestion....as resins have a different structure both chemically and mechanically....and its a sink part.....take either one of these parts of something else made with the same resin and soak it in a container of water with just a little salt and some dishwashing liquid. The alternately take it out and let it lay in the sun. Alternately back in the water, dry it and then into the freezer. Alternately heat to about 120-150f (the average heat encountered in an enclosed vehicle in the summer).Do this for a few days or a week and then bolt it back up into the sink.

.many resin manufacturers will advertize light safe or UV resistant....but that is not the same as "weatherable". The key is uv exposure with and alternating with heat, cold, moisture and basic water borne chemicals. Weathering is far more destructive than fading. Ray[/quote]

Oooo destructive testing. I like it. Think I even have a long wave UV light kickin around at work.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of info, not Bus but it pertains to the subject at hand.
Thanks to raygreenwood.
Casting new ball joint and tie-rod end boots for 411/412
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Thanks to raygreenwood.

Thanks Tom! I will be getting back to finishing those next week. I had to stop a couple of weeks ago to get ready for a trade show in Vegas (where I am right now). Ill add to it as I finish the part. Ray
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Thanks to raygreenwood.

Thanks Tom! I will be getting back to finishing those next week. I had to stop a couple of weeks ago to get ready for a trade show in Vegas (where I am right now). Ill add to it as I finish the part. Ray

Great into. And lots of things to consider as I decide what is practical for me to make. From reading this can I assume that you are doing the opposite as me, in that I'm making a silicone mold from a solid part in order to cast a solid resin part. Whereas you are making a resin mold from a silicone or rubber part in order to reproduce a flexible silicon part? Now you got me thinking how I can make a replacement brake booter boot, as I cant seem to find one anywhere.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: If you can't stand the heat get out a the bus Reply with quote

Not exactly quantitative testing but I went at the handle with a heat gun. Copy on the left and original on the right. That copy was the first one I made and had 2 bubbles in it (that's why the bottom where the button goes is cracked), that's why it was the victim of this experiment. you can see that by the time the copy started to blister and smoke (it wont melt, just burns eventually) the original was already a floppy mess.

Also tried putting both of them in a -60C liquid bath for a couple hours then hitting them with a hammer. Couldn't break either of them. Just chipped the copy where the bubble was (as seen in the photo)

Still waiting not so patiently for Canada post to deliver my inserts... Confused
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is the defacto molding thread...here are some updates on my ball joint boot molds.

Rubber and elastomers are tough. Getting a release agent that works for the original rubber part is not always the same as getting one that works for the casting resin itself. Thats what failed on this second attempt. These were done with Alumilite as well.

The inner boot cores are done with a medium speed epoxy. Its not as accurate...has a slight amount of shrinkage...but thats perfect for these boots because the the final part will be a percentage thicker when I cast it.

I did not originally use the epoxy for the molds.....because it takes so long to cure that eventually the epoxy combined with release agent starts to defeat any tape or glue holding the mold partitions together. Not a big deal...just messy.

The third mold try worked well and its full epoxy. Its a three piece mold.

I know I should be molding these with metal molds but its another 2 weeks until my new low temp metal gets here. I need the boots by this weekend. Trying to get the front end on the ground before really cold weather hits

There are plastic/polyester based super accurate molding compounds...that are even more accurate than the casting metal....but they are just as expensive and prone to bubbles. too expensive to do multiple attempts...and they get medium hot as well.

The new core castings on the delrin baseboard

The core in the boot after separation

The failed mold. It was a two part.. You can see the casting line at the curve in the part on the right.

A different view

This told the tale. This is a front speedo grommet mold. It nearly separated completely. The little tracks in the right hand part are bubbles from the oils in the release agent literally boiling and expanding. The liquid release agent is too low temp to use on this product which gets very hot because it cures in 3 minutes.

These are the new all epoxy three piece molds which were successful so far

You can see the parting line in the deep curve

The best mold releases I like to use are the dry powder sprays, (silicone Urethane etc.)...especially for casting resins like epoxy that dont get hot.

But on non-silicone rubber parts with polyester or urethane casting products like alumilite...you need an oil type physical barrier.
If the rubber is rough or has surface cracks you need an liquid release more oft than not as well.

I sstill have to clean up the mold edges, drill vent holes and feed holes and thread hold down screws through the molds before I can inject silicone.

I dont plan to make many with this mold. If others are interested I may make a metal mold. But...in the next six months I plan to have a better solution for a new ball joint instead of just trying to preserve old ones or NOS ones new boots for the 411/412.
Ray
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing some the details of the process, Ray. I find this sort of thing fascinating!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The silicone injection/vacuum process is even funkier. Ray
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Cool. I wont be at a loss for projects this winter Laughing
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The molds look crude....but they actually turned out decent for the materials used. This expoxy had a 7 hour lock up time but stayed very cool. In that, period of time the release agent started attacking the poly coated board I was using for the enclosure....and even went, after the solvent proof tape that was holding it together. I had to add an extra layer just to keep the depth, right.

Thats one of the problems with synthetic lubricants. So the outer shape looks ugly ...but I squared that up this evening and also drilled four .030" vent holes at the top cuff and a single .030" feeder hole at the bottom.

Probably friday night I will try molding a part in it.
I will photograph the mold assembly sequence before I start.

I have a polished delrin plank with guide pins installed. The bottom curvature ring mold gets pinned and adhered to the plank in register with RTV first. Then the core goes in on its pins RTV'd to the board....then a thin smear of rtv between the top and bottom mold layer....then yhe top goes on and the two screws go in to clamp it all together.

Let it dry....and then mix the silicone....and pump it in. I'm hoping I wont need vacuum but im ready to do that at the top vent holes.

Once I get the parts I need to get the car back on the ground I will make an easier to use two piece mold of casting metal with a little bit of shape change to allow me to use a two piece mold.

The outer will be a single mold. The inner shape will be able to slip in so the walls of the cast part will be thicker... Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: