Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car shipping cost?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Car shipping cost? Reply with quote

So there's a ton of places listed here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/shops/cat.php?id=10

But does anyone have an idea of how much it costs ballpark? I'm looking for a bug and trying to decide how much to budget for shipping.

Like say east coast to west coast? Seattle to Los Angeles? Midwest to westcoast?

Any ideas?
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the shipping thread. Hopefully that has numbers.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it varies by carrier and location and weather and maybe other factors too.

I think a good budget would be $1/mile for short transports (under 500 miles?) and $0.75 for longer ones. If it comes in cheaper you will have extra.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I think it varies by carrier and location and weather and maybe other factors too.

I think a good budget would be $1/mile for short transports (under 500 miles?) and $0.75 for longer ones. If it comes in cheaper you will have extra.

Thank you so much! Ya. So that's about $900 from LA to Seattle. Pretty hefty.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was just about 1.5 years ago when fuel costs were higher. I had mine shipped from Dallas Texas to Des Moines Iowa.
Typically the cost will be calculated by exactly what Everett noted.....but there are a few added "fees" whether they are mentioned or not.
The per mile cost is an ever changing, conglomeration based ln fuel and insurance costs etc.
But....riding in a covered vs non-covered truck has a small premium, size and weight of your vehicle goes into the mix......and the "hassle factor" goes into the mix as well.
If your car runs and drives and can be driven onto the truck....thats the best. If its a roller with good tires, tie down points and a functioning brake of aome sort. ....thats "may" be a little more with some companies depending on equipment.
If your car is basically a hulk on a dolly.....it may be more expensive.

Mine was a non-running roller with only a work e-brake but with bumpers and tie down points. The milage from dallas to des moines is about 750 miles. It rode in a covered rig with 6, other cars. The total cost....minus my round trip drive to Dallas to be there to see it load.....was about $650 total. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots and lots of factors come into play. Most of your quotes will come from brokers. These brokers post the details of your circumstance onto a master "board" with a "price" that was quoted (less their fee). Actual shippers will then go to that board and try to fill their trucks with cars from the same area or along the way. They will look for the car with the highest price along their route.

Sometimes you can get a truck heading your way that needs one more car and it will pick it up at a low cost to just fill his load. Other times you might be so remote that it really doesn't make much sense for someone to go get it or deliver it unless there is a good amount of financial incentive (ie: a high quote).

Covered transport is usually significantly higher.

Here are 3 examples of mine in the past couple of years:
* - Lexus SC430 from Tampa area to Mass: $450 uncovered. I timed it right around the snow bird migration so lots of trucks were on the road for that route.
* - Porsche Cayenne from Chicago to Mass: $650 uncovered
* - Lincoln MKZ from Pittsburgh to Mass: $800 covered
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Typically the cost will be calculated by exactly what Everett noted.....but there are a few added "fees" whether they are mentioned or not.
The per mile cost is an ever changing, conglomeration based ln fuel and insurance costs etc.
But....riding in a covered vs non-covered truck has a small premium, size and weight of your vehicle goes into the mix......and the "hassle factor" goes into the mix as well.
If your car runs and drives and can be driven onto the truck....thats the best. If its a roller with good tires, tie down points and a functioning brake of aome sort. ....thats "may" be a little more with some companies depending on equipment.
If your car is basically a hulk on a dolly.....it may be more expensive.

x2 to all of this. (And jspbtown's comments as well.)

Another big one the shipper will ask is "does it leak oil?". And that doesn't mean, "does it leak too much oil" like we talk about here, that literally means "does it leak ANY oil". If so, it restricts your car to the lower deck of the truck - they can't put it above any other cars, especially nice ones. And it raises the prices a bit, as they don't have as much flexibility to fit yours in.

I've shipped one of my bugs half way across the country twice, with two companies that used completely different methods of operation. One company was a husband/wife team that had a 6-car enclosed truck, where they loaded it up and it stayed in that spot all the way to the destination where I met the same husband/wife when unloading. The other company had a driver pick it up in a 6 car truck, where they took it to a hub and unloaded, then it was put on another truck for a long stretch across the country, unloaded at a second hub, and then loaded up on a third truck to come to my region. Different drivers all along the way. The big difference in the two cases is that with the first, I could say "Hey, the brakes are soft but the e-brake works great. Reverse is tricky to find, but it helps if you... [etc etc].". With the second company, it had to run/drive/stop and it had to be drivable without any "special instructions", or they wouldn't take it.

Also, the company in the first case was A-OK with the back of the car being full of parts. The second was not, due to the liability when the car was being shuffled around at the hubs. The second company was cheaper, and MUCH more flexible with scheduling... but the end-to-end transport took twice as long.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Lots and lots of factors come into play. Most of your quotes will come from brokers. These brokers post the details of your circumstance onto a master "board" with a "price" that was quoted (less their fee). Actual shippers will then go to that board and try to fill their trucks with cars from the same area or along the way. They will look for the car with the highest price along their route.

Sometimes you can get a truck heading your way that needs one more car and it will pick it up at a low cost to just fill his load. Other times you might be so remote that it really doesn't make much sense for someone to go get it or deliver it unless there is a good amount of financial incentive (ie: a high quote).

* - Lexus SC430 from Tampa area to Mass: $450 uncovered. I timed it right around the snow bird migration so lots of trucks were on the road for that route.

That is not always true. The company I chose was a broker of sorts but they only deal with a set fleet of about a dozen individual drivers who own their own rigs so they know exactly who is coming for your car and what they can do. I found the company here in the shipping thread. Awesome service. And it was gauranteed to be a straight shot. Yes they had one more pick up but not offloads. Just be specific for what you ask for and you will find companies. But you must also be willing to schedule.
These guys had no desire to be whifting cars around. My car got picked up anx put in a specific spot in the truck to be offloaded without shifting cars. This was a fully covered rig with 3 cars up top and four below. The last pick up went in behind mine and was a runner. Wo when they got to my place they backed out one car and offloaded me.

I had to wait two weeks to get a driver where I would fit the schedule of pick up, delivery and offload because mine was not a runner. Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
jspbtown wrote:

That is not always true. The company I chose was a broker of sorts but they only deal with a set fleet of about a dozen individual drivers who own their own rigs so they know exactly who is coming for your car and what they can do. I found the company here in the shipping thread. Awesome service. Ray

Did you like them enough to share their name?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moab762 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
jspbtown wrote:

That is not always true. The company I chose was a broker of sorts but they only deal with a set fleet of about a dozen individual drivers who own their own rigs so they know exactly who is coming for your car and what they can do. I found the company here in the shipping thread. Awesome service. Ray

Did you like them enough to share their name?

Give me a day. I have the receipt but I had it packed up
Ray
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That is not always true.

That's why I said "most". You can find companies with their own trucks. You can find companies with a select group of drivers, and you can find brokers who use the board. In most cases, unless you seek out something specific, you will get quotes from brokers using the board.

I used InterCity lines last time for the MKZ. They use their own trucks and drivers. First rate in my book.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just paid $950 for New Jersey to Central Nebraska, just under 1500 miles, and pickup and delivery were both about a mile off I-80, so he didn't lose any time screwing around with that. Outside transport, and I was his first stop after leaving New Jersey. All the other cars on the truck were 1-3 years old and had serious body damage. They were going to an auction in Colorado, and apparently that's his regular run.

My bids ranged from a high of $1650 to the $950 I took with most coming in between 1150 and 1350.

(Maybe this thread should continue in the main shipping thread at the top of the forum. That way it becomes part of the permanent thread, and people will see the information when they search.)
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:

(Maybe this thread should continue in the main shipping thread at the top of the forum. That way it becomes part of the permanent thread, and people will see the information when they search.)

Ya. This is all good info that should be in that thread. It's just that not many people have noticed that thread. But ya. I agree. This is very helpful. My distance would be similar. Good to hear your quotes.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jade Auto Services in Tenino, WA have hauled cars,motorcycles,VW engines,doors,seats,fenders etc for me with no problems! They told me .80/mile is their current rate for car hauling. fourcornertransportservices in WA delivered a '65 Mercedes from Texas to my storage field for Tram last night in the dark. The Truckers all get the job done fine for me anyway. I found Jade Auto etc when I started using www.uShip.com for shipping.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I used InterCity lines last time for the MKZ. They use their own trucks and drivers. First rate in my book.

Seconded. Cool
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's keep the sticky going, and tie this one off.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=170895
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: