Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automotive trivia question with VW connection
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the correct answer A, B, or C?
A
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
B
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
C
86%
 86%  [ 13 ]
I don't understand the choices
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Automotive trivia question with VW connection Reply with quote

The following is a trivia question from an auto parts webpage. Choose from 1 of the 3 answers. I will supply the answer after 48 hours have passed. (No fair researching)

What is the major difference between a "semi float" and "full float" solid rear axle?

A. Semi float axle designs include air chambers that can help the vehicle (for example, the original VW Beetle) temporarily float in water. Full float axles have blown aluminum housings and are packed with foam. They are used on military/specialized vehicles that need to remain buoyant indefinitely.

B. Semi float rear axles are attached to the car body/frame at three or more points such as leaf spring shackles, panhard rod, shock absorbers, etc. Full float axles are connected to the vehicle body/frame with only two large coil springs.

C. Semi float rear axles have axle shafts that both support the weight of the vehicle and transmit torque from the differential to turn the wheels. Older design rear wheel drive passenger cars and most light duty trucks have solid, semi float axles. Full float axles have axle shafts that only transmit torque from the differential to turn the wheels. The weight of the vehicle is supported by the axle housing (the steel tube and other structure surrounding the axle shafts). Large trucks that haul heavy loads typically have full float, solid axles. Front wheel drive and modern independent rear suspension axle shafts are similar to full float, solid axles in that they transmit torque but do not bear vehicle weight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tapped the phone hitting any choice and it happened to be C and I didn't read the story.I guess I was correct Laughing

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the 86% who chose C --
http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2014-10-12_2497347204790857/tv/gomer_pyle/gomer_congrats.wav

As for choice A, do Beetle axles have air chambers that help them temporarily float in water? Rolling Eyes
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it's c but a better explaination would be nice,such as....the drive axle is connected to the bearing hub,the bearings are on the housing.you can remove the drive axle and still have a tire/axle,bearing assy that will support the car/ truck.but so does the irs vw....... Shocked most front wheel drive cars are floaters. floaters are also sometimes brown. and indead some are shaped like a :shock:they also can Rolling Eyes ... in other words the power transmiting axle is "floating" but it realy isant as it is connected at both ends,but dosent support the cars weight.some are splined at both ends some only 1 end with a flange on the outer end.but if you drop it in the water I dont think they will float,but if there greezzeey they may put off a sheen. not sure if it's martin or charlie's
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: