Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake issues
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Rednexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: brake issues Reply with quote

hey there i have a 67 baja and the guy i bought the car off of said he put a 62 trans in it. it came time for new drums cause the lug holes stripped out. but anyway i bought new drums for a 62 but when i put everything back together the axle nut didnt reach the the drum there was about 1/8 inch gap between the drum and the axle nut. so i put the old ones back on and realized they had the same problem. how do i find out what drums i need
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need 67drums, Long splines. Or have a hardened spacer made.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also buy hardened spacers just for this problem at the VW vendors. I had to do this too when I went with my disc conversion(drums). Their cheap and do the trick.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tripicana wrote:
Sounds like you need 67drums, Long splines. Or have a hardened spacer made.

Correction...

67 drums are NOT long spline. The 67 uses long axles with short splines.

68s got long axles with long splines, as used on swingaxle Type 3s. IRS Bugs have the long splines just like 68 swingaxles, on their stub axles.

62 and 67 drums should be interchangeable. The only visual difference being that 62 drums have a smooth taper from the wheel mounting face to the axle nut, while 67 drums have a 5-spoke pattern cast into the face of the drum between the wheel mounting face and the axle nut.

Rednexican should NOT need anything custom machined. It's possible that a spacer is missing inside the bearing cap. There should be a thick spacer (close to 1/2" thick) just inboard of the drum, then the bearing, then a thinner (about 1/4" thick) spacer. The spacers remained the same from 1961 through 68 swingaxle. There was some difference in bearing caps, and you need to make sure the ones you have fit right. The edge of the cap should snug against the brake backing plate and there should be no movement of the bearing outer race inside the cap with the cap bolts snugged down. The axle shaft should have some movement inside the bearings with the cap on but the drum off. With the drum on and the axle nut snug, there should be no end play in the axle.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: