Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Beetle House for my dogs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: No, it was not salvagable Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:
onthegolfcourse wrote:

Hi Jeffrey, believe me, I know, it was not salvageable.

Maybe not for you but I've seen cars in much worse shape brought back to life. From the before pictures you shared, the body was pretty solid. Here in Jersey new floors are the price of entry, a days worth of work.

It's sad to see any salvageable Beetle taken off the road forever. I'm glad you at ok with it. I'm not.

-jeffrey

OK - You gotta keep in mind that whats salvagable up here in the rust best is way different that down south or out west. And 20 years ago what you wouldnt have even bothered trying to fix is now something that is restorable. Its all relative. I am getting ready to strip and scrap a totally clapped out Super that in another 10 years would possibly be a resto candidate. So - just let it go. They built a damn cool dog house and it beats the car getting hauled off for scrap, which was probably the only other option. Applause
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
hitest wrote:
Arguably the best use of a '74 super beetle on this site!

Correction, best use of any super beetle anywhere Laughing

I bet the dogs would have enjoyed a VW Thing better.

I doubt it, the soft top and vinyl windows wouldnt be very warm or hold up that well in weather.
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twenty years from now after the dogs are long gone some kid is gonna pull it out of your yard replace the quarter throws some seats in it and a motor and ride ..

Old VW's never die, they are just repurposed

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Her74buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
hitest wrote:
Arguably the best use of a '74 super beetle on this site!

Correction, best use of any super beetle anywhere Laughing

Why you guys hatin' on the fat girls? They need love too! Laughing
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The death foam looks like it did a number on the left side. Can't see the right side if there was a lot of rust over there. What I noticed is that those 74 and up bumpers look pretty good. Can't buy them new anymore Crying or Very sad so rechroming a straight bumper is the only option if you want to stay year correct. Shame to see those go to waste.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: No, it was not salvagable Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:

OK - You gotta keep in mind that whats salvagable up here in the rust best is way different that down south or out west. And 20 years ago what you wouldnt have even bothered trying to fix is now something that is restorable. Its all relative. I am getting ready to strip and scrap a totally clapped out Super that in another 10 years would possibly be a resto candidate. So - just let it go. They built a damn cool dog house and it beats the car getting hauled off for scrap, which was probably the only other option. Applause

I'm sure they used to say the same thing about all those 23 window Sambas that are cut up and welded to the tops of old school buses turned into motorhomes.

Just another worthless old VW with surface rust on the headlight rims, it will never be worth anything Laughing
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: No, it was not salvagable Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
andk5591 wrote:

I'm sure they used to say the same thing about all those 23 window Sambas that are cut up and welded to the tops of old school buses turned into motorhomes.

Just another worthless old VW with surface rust on the headlight rims, it will never be worth anything Laughing

And they aren't. Who in the hell wants an old VW with that tiny split back window that you can hardly see out of. Geeeez....And 36 horsepower? Can't pull up a hill for crap with that. Laughing Aint it funny? I look through Hemmings classic cars and those piece of shit smog infected guard rail bumper mid 70s domestic cars are becoming "hot". Shocked
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm an east-coaster so I'd say yeah, that probably could have been saved. Would have been a lot of effort though. And why? There are enough supers that I don't feel particularly offended by a crummy one becoming a dog house.

I like it. There are lots of restored and customized supers rolling around, but that's the first super dog-house I've ever seen so it's a heck of a lot more interesting. Way better use for it, in my opinion.

As far as 23 windows and such, yeah it is funny to look back. I've been in the hobby for a while now.. since late high-school so I guess since around 95? Things have changed a lot in the landscape of the VW world even since then. One of the cars I'm working on now as a beater, I'd have turned my nose up at 8-10 years ago even at half the price I paid for it. Things change...

I like flea-markets and the like and every now and then I'll come across an old classified mag. The prices and ads are pretty cool when compared to today!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Her74buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope those dogs appreciate that dash piece under the steering wheel.....I've been looking for that for a while😋
Looks good though, I'm sure it will be a good conversation piece and the dogs will love it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: