Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Collecting Data with Innovate MTX-L
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Collecting Data with Innovate MTX-L Reply with quote

I installed an Innovate MTX-L on my Bug and it is working properly. I knew I was running rich but now I can confirm by the readings on the gauge. I displays between 11.9 to 12.8 and green light at idle and even at 3,000 rpm.

Now I connected the OUT serial connector to my laptop via a USB to serial adapter. I launch the LM Programmer app after turning the ignition sw to on position I get "Please connect the device to a serial port". Also, when I launch the LogWorks3 app I get "No real time data detected. Check serial port and connections".

I searched for this erros but can not find anything on these. Any help will be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the cheaper USB to serial adapters do not meet all of the requirements for the RS-232 standard. Try a different adapter.
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a KeySpan http://www.tripplite.com/high-speed-usb-to-serial-adapter-keyspan~USA19HS/. Unless the MTX-L has a special pin requirement this should work. I use these at wotk to do data collection from legacy PLCs to USB ports on computers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just connected to my MTX-L last night to set it for E85. I'm using a Gigaware USB to Serial adapter from Radio Shack, works fine.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24192246

Stan
My budget 2276 build
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Stan .. How do you start the LogWorks3 program to start collecting informaton? Any special Channel configurations I have mine to "Auto connect at Start".

I might go to local RS and see the serial to USB you mentioned, but again Serial to USB is nothing special ....tks !!
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried LogWorks yet. I launch the LM Programmer, it sits waiting for the serial connection, I connect the cable and it finds the gauge and launches the UI. I use the same cable for my Black Box, it's long and allows you to have laptop pretty far away from the car if needed. The packaging opens without needing to cut anything, I'm pretty sure you can return it in it's original state if needed.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK .. Hopefully our only RS will be open Sunday. Today not possible.
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update ... I ordered a USB to Serial cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDSM6BW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Insalled the driver and connected to the gauge and ... (drum roll please ... ) It recognized the gauge !! So I was wrong !!

I launched the LogWorks3 and the display in the PC shows the readings on the gauge. Now ... the question is how to I start collecting the data for later analysis?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in order for the data to have any relevance you must also collect RPM and TPS ( or MAP)

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John ... I guess I need some "training" on how to use the software... On the PC screen I see 6 dials. One is labeled RPM, but I can not configure it. Is there a tutotial on how to do this collection? I could not find it in the Innovate site.
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the manual.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LogWorks3_Manual.pdf
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luft... Thanks for the link. I did not have the manual or lost in the garage ! I will work on it tomorrow.
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not done much to collect data yet but I noticed that the Air-Fuel gauge was reading rich most of the time even at cruise speeds. It was reading between 11.5 and 12.8 (actually jumping all over). So reading some of the posts on jetting the carbs pointed to go lower on the mains. I was running 200 air, 145 main and .60 idle. and dropped to 140 mains. Now the Air-Fuel gauge is reading rich all the time at cruise speeds !!! What gives? It should be running leaner with the lower mains. right ?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the data doesn't make you an expert. That's a lot harder.

Read

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293837

a couple times.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link .... will read as instructed Smile ... This video I took after taking the bug for a ride to warm her up a bit. This is just idling speed. Is it normal to be bouncing all over? At idle is seems to be in the right range.

Link
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your video is private, can't view it.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ... now it should be Public Embarassed
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check for an exhaust leak. it'll give you a false lean especially at idle.

also a culprit is a plugged idle jet
tstevenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-read the wideband results post that John linked you to. Synch both carbs, and linkage, then re-do your LBI (Lean Best Idle) on all carb throats.

When I started wideband tuning my motor, my idle jumped around like yours is doing now. Could simply be one or two mixture screws are set too lean. Also, make sure you're doing LBI when the bug is fully warmed up.
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually printed the post John pointed out ! Great post and lots of info. So I will re-read it over and over Very Happy
I usually do the LBI as John says and also change only one component at the time. Warm up the engine, take it for a spin until it is warm and do the LBI. I need to order a couple of air and main jets to fiddle around with since my stock of jets is not good! First I am going to experiment with 2.2 airs to see how it affect the rich condition @ cruise speed. Then will go from there.

I am determined to conquer this !! The only thing hampering success is cold weather ... Evil or Very Mad

Cheers and Thanks !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: