Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changed rear brake lines and brakes no longer work
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zak414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Changed rear brake lines and brakes no longer work Reply with quote

I just changed the two rubber brake lines in the rear of my 69 bug and now I have absolutely no brakes in the rear. I've been bleeding the brakes for over and hour now without any progress. I've done the whole process before with success so I feel like I know how to do it properly. Prior to changing the lines, everything was fine. I just changed them because one had developed a leak.

I'm at loss here. Bleeding the brakes has been pushing air out of the system, but it never pushes any fluid through. This is my first time changing those rubber lines so maybe there is more to it than just removing the old one and putting in a new one. Please let me know if I did miss a step or if there is something else I should be looking for. Thanks.
Big Cap Distributor rebuilt by Tasb
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If air is coming out, with the cap to the reservoir on or off, then there is a problem with the lines.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zak414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What could be the problem with the lines? The rear rubber lines are brand new and everything was working fine before I swapped them out. And to rule out the possibility of the new lines being defective, I reinstalled the old ones and had the same results.

I checked and I actually have front brakes still so at this point I'm thinking the rear circuit on the master cylinder just happened to fail as I was doing some brake maintenance. Even after completely removing the rubber line in the rear, no fluid comes out when the pedal is pushed. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption?
Joel73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been adding fluid? Do you get any pedal pressure.
zak414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluid resevoir started off full and hasn't really dropped as there is no fluid being pushed through the rear lines during the bleeding process. Pedal pressure has remained minimal. Only pressure being built up is from the front brakes.
Joel73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are getting air after you pump the brakes hold the pedal and crack the bleeder then that would mean that the fluid is pushing the air out. sooner or later if you keep at it you will get fluid. Sometimes it seems to take forever. (usually it takes the longest when my wife is pumping the brakes for me) or so it seems.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tip I learned years ago when bleeding bug brakes. Adjust ALL four wheels brake as tight as you can. Turn the stars on each adjuster till you can't turn them anymore. Each wheel should be locked up.

Now, doing this prevents the pads from moving out so your wheel cylinders are not traveling outward and you get air/fluid much quicker.

Did fluid drain out when you removed your old lines and did it keep dripping until you tightened up the new lines?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zak414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try adjusting all the wheels to the point that they're locked up and see if that speeds up the process.

Fluid did drain out of the passenger side once I loosened the existing hose and until I tightened the new hose in place. The driver's side didn't leak very much and now if I remove the hose from the driver's side, no fluid comes out at all. That's the problem I'm having bleeding the brakes, only air comes out of the bleeder, no fluid at all.
XR6T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the air gets trapped in the lines if they curve above the bleeder valve. This can be an absolute *#^## to get out.

The quickest and easiest solution is a pressure bleeder.

Motive brand make a good one or you can (as I did) make a real cheap unit using a garden spray unit and a small pressure gauge.

After many frustrating hours trying to bleed my new rear brakes I made the pressure bleeder for about $20 and did the job under 15 minutes with the best pedal I have ever had.
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a tool called a 'one man brake bleeder' Works great. They sell at retail auto parts. Also think I seen it at Harbor Freight too.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XR6T wrote:
Sometimes the air gets trapped in the lines if they curve above the bleeder valve. This can be an absolute *#^## to get out.

The quickest and easiest solution is a pressure bleeder.

Motive brand make a good one or you can (as I did) make a real cheap unit using a garden spray unit and a small pressure gauge.

After many frustrating hours trying to bleed my new rear brakes I made the pressure bleeder for about $20 and did the job under 15 minutes with the best pedal I have ever had.

I made one just like you describe and it does work well. I pump mine up to about 10-15psi and it's a nice tool to bleed by yourself.

To the OP, it can be a pain in the rear to get the air out of rear lines. I just did my rear brakes today after a wheel cylinder leaked. I bleed the LR wheel in no time but the RR took forever to get all the air out of it. It's the longest run of brake line so it makes since to be a challenge to get the air out of that line.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zak414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the rear wheels have the longest run of brake line, but I can honestly say that I've been trying to bleed the rear brakes for almost 2 hours today and I am still getting 100% air coming out of the bleeder. To me that seems like an unnecessary amount of time to spend on such a task. I may have to look into some sort of pressure bleeder because I feel like I'm making no progress.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the brake shoes are not adjusted up to the drums you'll never get the fluid to come out back there. Try jacking the front of the car up and loosen the bleeder screws. Take a walk or whatever and let gravity do it's thing.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey is suggesting you do a gravity feed. Just make sure you check on the reservoir every once in a while or else you'll be starting all over again.
Your suggestion that the master cylinder went bad is a possibility. Pumping the brakes during a bleed operation can sometimes over-extend the mechanism and ruin the MC.
I use a vacuum style bleeder attached at the bleed screw. It is hooked up to a compressor which generates the vacuum. That way, I get no complaints from the wifey as it's a one-man job & I have no worries about over taxing the MC.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tighten all four of your shoes all the way tight, pressure bleed, then adjust shoes. Gauranteed to work
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zak414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright here's where I'm at now. I decided to try using gravity just to get fluid back into the rear lines so I could proceed with my normal bleeding routine. I opened up both rear bleeders and jacked up the front end. That was at around 3pm yesterday and it's now just after 8am the next day and still not a drop of fluid made it to the rear wheels!

I'm really beginning to suspect the master cylinder at this point, but can someone tell me for sure if the rear brake circuit in the master cylinder no longer works would that alone restrict the flow of fluid to the rear brakes?
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you have a bad master cylinder
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to ask a question here, and someone feel free to correct me, but here goes:

1. The master cylinder is closed, (because the brake pedal is not depressed) so wouldn't that create a vacuum near the master cylinder so that NO fluid drains out ( with bleeders open)? Kind of like sticking a straw in a glass of water, putting a finger over the top of the straw and lift it out of the glass and no water will come out of the straw.

2. My opinion, if you want the fluid to gravity drain from the reservoir, jack the front end (done), open the rear bleeder (done), then brace the brake pedal all the way down and watch the reservoir and bleeders. Keep the reservoir full.and close the bleeders once fluid starts draining out. YOU HAVE TO OPEN THE VALVES IN THE MASTER CYLINDER FIRST! Otherwise your finger is basically over the top of the straw AND NOTHING WILL COME OUT!

3. If after the brake pedal is braced down (as in pushed) nothing comes out within an hour or so, you might have a bad brake master cylinder.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
I'm just going to ask a question here, and someone feel free to correct me, but here goes:

1. The master cylinder is closed, (because the brake pedal is not depressed) so wouldn't that create a vacuum near the master cylinder so that NO fluid drains out ( with bleeders open)? Kind of like sticking a straw in a glass of water, putting a finger over the top of the straw and lift it out of the glass and no water will come out of the straw.

2. My opinion, if you want the fluid to gravity drain from the reservoir, jack the front end (done), open the rear bleeder (done), then brace the brake pedal all the way down and watch the reservoir and bleeders. Keep the reservoir full.and close the bleeders once fluid starts draining out. YOU HAVE TO OPEN THE VALVES IN THE MASTER CYLINDER FIRST! Otherwise your finger is basically over the top of the straw AND NOTHING WILL COME OUT!

3. If after the brake pedal is braced down (as in pushed) nothing comes out within an hour or so, you might have a bad brake master cylinder.

Wrong, totally and completely wrong. You clearly don't know much about brake systems so my opinion is that your opinion stinks.
The circuit is OPEN when the brake pedal is in its released position. Fluid can travel freely to and from the reservoir through the compensating port in the master cylinder and brake lines.
When the brake pedal is pushed, the MC shuts off the compensating port from the reservoir and builds hydraulic pressure.

It is not gravity bleeding because you have an air lock.. Air is trapped in your brake system and not letting the fluid pass. I don't care what anyone else says, I have been there, I have changed the master cylinder, and I have the t-shirt. I have also then learned how to pressure bleed my brakes and was done in ten minutes.

Don't waste your money on master cylinder unless you KNOW it's bad... I.e., corrosion, leaking past pushrod seal, leaking anywhere. I can guarantee, 100% money back you just need to pressure bleed it after you tighten up your shoes.

Almost EVERY SINGLE thread on "bad master cylinder" ends up changing the MC and NOT fixing the problem until it's bled like should have happened to start with.

I have changed evey brake part in my bug and bus except the servo and wheel hard lines. I'm not making up an opinion from things I've heard or read.. This is all cold hard, brake-fluid-on-my-flare-nut-wrenches fact.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zak414 wrote:

I'm really beginning to suspect the master cylinder at this point, but can someone tell me for sure if the rear brake circuit in the master cylinder no longer works would that alone restrict the flow of fluid to the rear brakes?

Also, do you have the Bentley manual? There is a fantastic section on description & operation of the brakes. Once you wrap your mind around how the main parts function together, it will be cake.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: